UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:43 am   #21
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Default Re: Memories of Manor Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis G4DWC View Post
Some years earlier a good friend bought a surplus 625 IF strip and UHF tuner from them which we used to convert an old 405 line Philco TV to get BBC2.

Denis
Think the ads started in Practical Television Magazine around 1963-64 with BBC2/Uhf conversion kits etc.

Hugh
Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:53 am   #22
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Manor Supplies actually produced two pattern generators. The early one used 555s for the SPG and it was basically a heap of junk drifting all over the place. I eventually scrapped it as it was so unstable. The second one used a dedicated chip for everything and was much better.
Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:56 am   #23
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hoover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
I remember back in the early 70s, Television magazine ran a series of articles on building your own colour TV. I tried to build one but like many people I found that for various reasons it didn't work very well,

Someone I knew at the time built one.A major problem seemed to be not enough gain in the IF strip with the published design.

Hugh
The magazine arranged an alignment service but even after they supposedly aligned mine, it still didn't work.

I also got the screen and degaussing coils from Manor Supplies and at the same time was persuaded to buy a surplus if strip and Pal decoder. It saved me a lot of work although it felt like a bit of a cheat as it was supposed to be a completely do it yourself TV including etching and drilling circuit boards.

The magazine also commissioned a transformer which wasn't really up to the job. They insisted that it was quite OK for modern transformers to run hot but I bought the Manor Supplies one.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 11th Feb 2011, 12:28 pm   #24
pichacker
Hexode

My Manor supplies sig gen gained a ZNA134 for its syncs and a modulator from a VR2022.
Old 11th Feb 2011, 2:31 pm   #25
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGmidsUK View Post
I was a bit surprised to see a website for Bull Electrical - though it's nothing more than a link list. The stuff they used to sell was of dubious origin and quality

Brian
I bought some nickel plating kits from them via their website about three years ago. However when I just checked it out, I got this message:
"The bullnet group is currently being re-organized and will not be taking orders until June 2008."

Hmm!

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 11th Feb 2011, 5:00 pm   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
My Manor supplies Mk4 colour bar generator has around 14 socketed TTL chips and has been on every day in my equipment rack since the Eighties and it STILL produces a good display on the Sony BVM There is some pattern breakthrough now and again, though a good thump cures that.
Cosmetically it's a bit challenged - the knobs have fallen off, the (Thorn 1500) on/off switch is no more, the BNC socket is always coming loose and the printed cardboard front panel is a bit (!) grubby. It's still oultlasted most of the TVs and VCRs it's been used on, though!
Glyn
Old 13th Feb 2011, 7:07 pm   #27
techiesteve
Pentode

I bought a pattern generator off them, I no longer have it. I can't remember buying anything else from them.
Old 13th Feb 2011, 9:49 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Manor Supplies actually produced two pattern generators. The second one used a dedicated chip for everything and was much better.
I believe the syncs were broadcast quality, but there was some breakthrough on the patterns due to simple switching arrangements for the video. At the time, though, it was a good product.
Old 13th Feb 2011, 10:27 pm   #29
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

The Manor Supplies pattern generator I had gave sterling service until replaced with a Philips PM5519.

The Manor Supplies one then travelled around as part of my field service kit.

When I lived in South London I would often venture north of the river to Manor Supplies for bits and pieces.

Happy days.
Old 13th Feb 2011, 10:42 pm   #30
chriswood1900
Octode

Have seen their ads in Television I took the opportunity when travelling up to London to catch the Tube out to Manor Supplies to buy spares for my hobby, a cross hatch generator which worked first time and did many years service and the bits necessary to complete my attempt at the Television colour TV, finally completed with a line output stage from a Rediffusion CTV, a second hand Mullard Tube and a IF strip and decoder from Manor for a G8, gave the family several years service until I picked up a BRC 3500 from an auction. Chris
Old 16th Mar 2013, 2:27 pm   #31
Neil Purling
Nonode

The only business I did with them was getting a LOPT for a Murphy V929U. They were the only place that had one for that chassis.
Most agrieved the original LOPT died only an hour after '1st light'. The replacement was new, not a 'pull' from a carcasse.
Old 16th Mar 2013, 3:27 pm   #32
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I built one of their super dooper TV colour pattern generators - it didn't work, well not properly anyway.

Peter
Old 16th Mar 2013, 4:24 pm   #33
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
I remember back in the early 70s, Television magazine ran a series of articles on building your own colour TV. I tried to build one but like many people I found that for various reasons it didn't work very well, on top of which the person writing the articles got fed up with it and took ages to write the final instalments.
I still remember the flood of adverts for half-built receivers placed by people who began the project without anything like the skill, experience and workshop facilities necessary to finish it.

Did not a lot of Manor Supplies' stock such as scan coils consist of manufacturer's "seconds"? If so I'm thinking a receiver built largely from surplus parts would be an indifferent performer at best.
Old 16th Mar 2013, 7:36 pm   #34
Focus Diode
Octode

Just outside West Hampstead Underground station on the way to Manor Supplies were these wonderful set of traffic lights. Pole had been painted from black & white to grey yet had "WAIT" in red and "CROSS NOW" in white. Wonderful.

Sadly in 1985 they were gone.

This picture, taken on a Kodak Instamatic 126 camera in July 1984 always reminds me of Manor Supplies.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	West Hampstead traffic lightscut 7-84cutcut.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	77543  
Old 16th Mar 2013, 9:50 pm   #35
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I built one of their super dooper TV colour pattern generators - it didn't work, well not properly anyway. Peter
I have one of those, it works well, but it was bought ready assembled.
Old 17th Mar 2013, 10:27 pm   #36
Mikey
Triode

Just noticed this thread. I regard this shop as my entree to TV 'tinkering' as a school boy and remember visiting Manor Supplies in their West Hampstead shop many times. I remember buying a LOPT for a Ferguson 308T which when fitted restored my first TV I repaired to a working set. I must confess I still have the PAL pattern generator and tube rejuvenator they sold back in the late 70's. Ah happy days!

Mikey
Old 12th Apr 2014, 4:17 pm   #37
Dungochop
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Memories of Manor Supplies

I was working for Arnold Sylvester when he had a tiny shop in North Finchley called "Astra Radio" which was a shop cut in half and the other half was a Ladies' Hairdressers and I was the sole employee (And my 1st Job) when we moved to West End Lane. The new shop's previous owner was singer Shirley Bassey and it was a record shop and in the basement were pictures of Pop Stars. in those days part of my job was repairing damaged LOPT's which was messy as the bodies were covered in black pitch.

Last edited by Station X; 12th Apr 2014 at 9:04 pm. Reason: Smiley fixed.
Closed Thread