UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2011, 6:56 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Memories of Manor Supplies

This thread reminds me that many of us had dealings with Manor Supplies.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=45

I grew up just a few miles from Manor Supplies and bought stuff there many times as in my early teens. I worked for them during one school Easter holiday. Must have been around 1972. I was asked to do some things that were, to put it gently, unscrupulous. The one that stands out was "testing" a batch of LOPTs by comparing winding resistances to a known good example. I rigged a ring test using a scope. Comparing the batch with the known good one I found them ALL to be faulty. Being a bit too honest for my own good, I mentioned this. Not sure whether I was sacked or whether I walked. I think it may be that I left by mutual agreement.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 7:36 pm   #2
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Memories of Manor Supplies

I remember Manor Supplies! I used to go there during extended lunchtimes from TV Centre. They offered all sorts of circuit boards from just-obsolete mono and colour sets. I built a "hybrid in more senses than one" colour TV using the Wireless World decoder, a CTV25 timebase and EHT chassis, a Thorn IF strip and Mullard scan & convergence coils. It was fitted into a really crude painted plywood cabinet but lasted for about 4 years. I wish I had kept it! But back on topic, Manor Supplies were a real treasure trove - and at very reasonable prices.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 7:50 pm   #3
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

I remember buying from Manor Supplies mostly the Odd LOPT (which always worked) - I must have been lucky.
Used to get 'Television' magazine every month which is where I saw them advertising
Those were the days......

Andy - having brushed rose tint on to his glasses!

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 10th Feb 2011, 7:52 pm   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Remember Sylvester indeed. I used to get a lot of bits from there. The staff were extremely knowledgeable as well.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 8:10 pm   #5
raditechman
Heptode

I used to go to Manor Supplies and get old panels from TV's. I miss the shop as it was always nice to look in the window and see something of interest.
John
Old 10th Feb 2011, 8:40 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

My only dealing (by mail order) with Manor Supplies was the purchase of a colour (TV) test signal generator in kit form. I havn't used it for a while (as I now have better alternatives), but, as far as I recall, it still worked last time I powered it up - although I recall that the modulator was never wonderful.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 10th Feb 2011 at 8:41 pm. Reason: modulator note
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:11 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I remember going to London around 1980 and seeking out Manor Supplies, having used them several times by mail order (and the LOPTs worked!). Of course having seen the ads I expected a huge warehouse and was a bit surprised to find a small shop.
I too bought a Mk3 (or was it 4?) colour bar generator kit, but had huge difficulty paying by cheque. Eventually they took pity on me and let me pay using several post dated cheques with banker's cards and different invoices! I still use the generator - a bit noisy, but still working, though I gave up on the sound PCB which fell out every few days.
Now is anyone going to start a thread on the mysterious (and still in operation) Sendz Components?
Glyn
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:19 pm   #8
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Now is anyone going to start a thread on the mysterious (and still in operation) Sendz Components?
Glyn
I was just thinking that exact same thing!

http://www.sendz.co.uk/

Cheers,
Baz.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:26 pm   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Yes I remember Manor supplies adverts in TV mag. All those parts and a sig generator. I think I bought a few things off them.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:50 pm   #10
radioredcat
Hexode

I've looked on google street view for Manor Supplies and the shop was still there when the photos were taken (don't know when) but there is a TO-LET sign above the shop window.

Andy
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:51 pm   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

Back in 1977 I built the monochrome (sorry Black and White) portable that was covered in TV mag over three (possibly four) months. Manor Supplies supplied the PCB and all of the special components like LOPT and EHT stick. It used the I.F modules from a G8 and a Philips tuner. As I worked for Philips at the time, I was able to obtain these parts gratis from scrap panels. Manor Supplies also supplied the 15" CRT. I had a cabinet made at Philips which looked very good. Unfortunately I no longer have the set. I seem to recall it didn't survive a house move when it was dropped. When working though it gave a really excellent picture.

SB
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:53 pm   #12
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Manor Supplies brings back memories....A friend of mine had trouble paying by cheque too!!

David Whitworth who started Sendz told me many years ago he used to
supply Sylvester with a lot of items.He worked for Ekco in Southend before the Sendz days,a really interesting character.

Hugh
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:01 pm   #13
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I was a bit surprised to see a website for Bull Electrical - though it's nothing more than a link list. The stuff they used to sell was of dubious origin and quality

Brian
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:07 pm   #14
gavinhall
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Memories of Manor Supplies

Ahh, nostalgia trip coming on. I went to gogglebox in Leeds once in the back of a Maestro van from Swanley to get a pile of betamax machines and some 3v29/30's to rebuild and sell on. I kept one and still have it. Chaz hyde used to advertise in the mag and now runs Ezypart doing gas boiler parts. East Cornwall components or Telepart I think are still going, so are Grandata. Don't know what happened to AZ Electrics (used to have account with them). Spent ages on the phone to a guy at Konig once when I found out we did the same apprenticeship together. Their remotes with the small rubbery keys (red and black) were a bit weird though, I think they took 3 AAA batteries. Favourite remote deisgn has to be the Philips wedge shaped thing, never got lost and the buttons never wore out.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:42 pm   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
My only dealing (by mail order) with Manor Supplies was the purchase of a colour (TV) test signal generator in kit form. I havn't used it for a while (as I now have better alternatives), but, as far as I recall, it still worked last time I powered it up - although I recall that the modulator was never wonderful.
Same here, mine still works on the odd time I use it.
Old 11th Feb 2011, 8:21 am   #16
dsergeant
Octode

I also have their colour bar generator, excellent piece of kit. Bought various things from them over the years, perhaps more when I was a gullible young lad.

gavinhall, if you mean Charles Hyde, they are still very much in business, http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/ and are my main spares supplier these days. But I think he is in other areas as well, as the TV spares side can hardly be that profitable now.

Dave
Old 11th Feb 2011, 9:13 am   #17
bluepilot
Heptode

I remember back in the early 70s, Television magazine ran a series of articles on building your own colour TV. I tried to build one but like many people I found that for various reasons it didn't work very well, on top of which the person writing the articles got fed up with it and took ages to write the final instalments. Manor supplies helped out with alternative panels and components and eventually it worked very well.

I last visited the place in the early 80. It seemed to have been taken over by someone who was more interested in selling me things I didn't want at ridiculous prices.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 11th Feb 2011, 10:47 am   #18
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

I remember visiting in the shop and buying the large metal tube screen and degausing coils for the "Television Colour receiver". It was a bit of a battle getting it home on the tube in rush hour...

Some years earlier a good friend bought a surplus 625 IF strip and UHF tuner from them which we used to convert an old 405 line Philco TV to get BBC2.

Denis
Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:03 am   #19
Michael Maurice

I knew Sylvestor well, he sold out to one of his employess who took over the shop from the late 1980's until about 2001 when his lease was up and he moved to a shop in Edgware, NW London, he like me works from home.
Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:41 am   #20
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
I remember back in the early 70s, Television magazine ran a series of articles on building your own colour TV. I tried to build one but like many people I found that for various reasons it didn't work very well,

Someone I knew at the time built one.A major problem seemed to be not enough gain in the IF strip with the published design.

Hugh
Closed Thread