UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:30 pm   #1
Mazda Man
Triode

Default Using GEC Hybrid colour chassis with a VCR

Evening All,
Wondering if anyone knows of a modification for the GEC Hybrid CTV to enable it to work with a VHS VCR without the top 3 or 4 inches of the screen flagging. Some tapes are worse than others.
I know that that Practical Television covered mods to compensate for VCR use, but having consulted said article it suggests that he 2040 does not require a modification. However mine is not happy, particularly with pre recorded tapes. Tapes recorded on the machine itself are fine. Pre recorded tapes play fine with this VCR on later sets with VCR button such as my G11.
I would appreciate a pointer if anyone has any experience with this issue.
Thanks
Old 18th Nov 2018, 12:41 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Using GEC Hybrid colour chassis with a VCR

Depending which hybrid GEC colour TV you wish to supply signals from a VHS machine you could consider changing the value of the long time constant filter capacitor in the line flywheel sync discriminator circuit. In the single standard 2040 series the capacitor is C506 and in the dual standard models it is C510. I suggest changing the capacitor values from 0.1mfd to say, 0.047mfd.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC2028line_sync.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	173021   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC2040.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	173022  
Old 19th Nov 2018, 12:00 am   #3
Mazda Man
Triode

Many thanks Fernseh. I Will give that a try this week and report back on the results .
Old 19th Nov 2018, 10:51 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Connected my GEC 2028 to a Panasonic NV-J620 video recorder. I can't remember ever modifying the set for VCR playback but as the attached picture shows there is no evidence of hooking at the top of the picture.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0136.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	173131  
Closed Thread