UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2014, 2:31 pm   #1
tis your junk
Pentode

Default Advice on removing vintage TV from loft

Hello all

Mods if this is in the wrong area please move.

I have the task of removing a couple of old/vintage TV from a the loft of a typical 30's semi. Can anyone offer advise on the "proper" way to do this? As they are either heavy or of an awkward shape or both carrying them down a rather rickety loft ladder is not something I'd view with enthusiasm.

So ideas please!

Regards

Nick
Old 19th Apr 2014, 3:21 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Advice on removing vintage TV from loft

You really need two strong people, one lowering from above and one catching from below. Unless its a pre war set it shouldn't weigh more than about 25kg. You could always put some rope round it if it makes you feel more confident.

Peter
Old 19th Apr 2014, 3:22 pm   #3
Freya
Octode

If it was me i would build a platform under the hatch which would take the weight of a strong person plus the tv, it should be at a comfortable height to allow a second person to manoeuvre and lower the set between both people.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 4:34 pm   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

If they'll pass through the hatch that way then carry them face down as you are less likely to swipe the necks off their CRTs.

Peter
Old 19th Apr 2014, 4:40 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I agree, pass them face down to a second person.
I have retrieved a few old telly's from lofts, some times they have to come down diagonally due to the shape, be very careful not to bump the bowler hat!
Remember, what went up must come down

Mark
Old 19th Apr 2014, 4:49 pm   #6
mole42uk
Nonode

I've moved 21" monitors from the loft on my own a couple of times. I used a rope attached to one of the beams and slid the monitor down the loft ladder.

Quite safe, so long as you secure the rope properly around the TV and the beam!

Richard
Old 19th Apr 2014, 5:02 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

You definitely need an assistant; also, ropes, blankets and bungee cords.

It might also help to rig up a video camera, serving a monitor in the loft, so you can see what is in the shadow of the TV as it is being lowered.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 5:57 pm   #8
paulsherwin

If there is a properly fitted loft ladder, then it will be much stronger than it looks. Somebody got these things up there in the first place! I agree with others though, you need a rope and a second person. Double check that the rope is securely attached and can't work free, and that the TV is stable.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 6:58 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

You need a fit second person and of course are they small table or heavier console TV's.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 7:22 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Make sure you agree emergency procedures with whoever is at the bottom of the ladder. If the TV falls, for whatever reason, it's very unwise to try to catch it. You need to agree in advance under what circumstances the person at the bottom will jump clear and let it fall.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 7:27 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Like without being funny, it is coming towards them and there is risk of injury. Depending on size, carefully covering the set with say a quilt and two people lowering down if access permits may be the best way as no one is directly underneath.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 7:35 pm   #12
paulsherwin

A second person underneath the lowered object can manipulate it so that the load stays on the sloping loft ladder rather than slipping to one side disastrously. As I said, it's important to agree what to do if things go wrong beforehand.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 7:50 pm   #13
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Like without being funny,it is coming towards them and there is risk of injury.Depending on size,carefully covering the set with say a quilt and two people lowering down if access permits may be the best way as no one is directly underneath.
Hmmm, reminds me of the time we decided to lower a full filing cabinet down some steep ladder stairs in an industrial unit (on the basis that we couldn't be bothered to empty it first) - Someone's "granny knot" came loose and the thing hurtled down at a rate of knots and smashed straight through a stud wall at the bottom - "bollockings" all round but at least there was nobody the "wrong side" of the thing !
Old 19th Apr 2014, 8:55 pm   #14
emeritus
Dekatron

I have a convenient roof beam above my loft hatch, and use a block and tackle and rope that was amongst my late brother-in-law's effects and was probably used on his yacht to raise the sail: a double pulley block at the top and a single pulley block at the bottom gives a 3:1 mechanical advantage and makes getting heavy stuff in and out of the loft a doddle. Using a pair of ordinary single-pulley washing line pulley blocks would give a 2:1 mechanical advantage.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 9:35 pm   #15
tis your junk
Pentode

Thanks for all your replies, currently I'm looking at a "Combination platform ladder"that I can site under the hatch and pass things down that way. Although I agree with Paul that correctly fitted loft ladders are safe and stronger than they look, this one is I think too small for the job and in fact, in "normal operation", it hangs almost vertical. Indeed in order to give me a bit more control I put the bottom on a block of wood to get some "slope" so I could bring the smaller boxes down. Doing that however moves the bottom of the ladder next to the wall making it difficult for someone to stand "square" on at the base, making controlling objects on the ladder that much more difficult.
I also thought of the block and tackle idea but unfortunately the only available beam is too low.

Whatever I do I will heed Paul's advise and make sure everyone is well briefed.

Thanks again

Nick
Old 20th Apr 2014, 1:48 am   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

Also, especially for the person below, always keep the screen towards you. This will put the center of gravity as close to you as possible.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 8:19 am   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I suggest you erect scaffolding and install a temporary escalator to allow safe descent down the stairs. An alternative approach would be removing the gable end of the semi [this would probably involve the demolition of the garage] hire a cherry picker and extract them via the new opening.
High Viz must be worn together with stout boots, anti implosion protection and hazard goods training. I presume you have a written hazard report and filed it with the required authority.
Alternatively you could bring them to the edge of the loft opening and with care, struggle them down as they were struggled up. Use a blanket to protect the cabinet from the ladder.
I must be getting old..
Regards, John.
PS. I dare say one of the trendy colleges will do a degree course, 'Removal of old television receivers from loft area'. This may not help with your problem but might aid with obtaining an executive job with one of the equally trendy town Councils.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 9:10 am   #18
brianc
Rest in Peace

Who's a cynic then John?
Old 20th Apr 2014, 11:05 am   #19
beamcurrent
Heptode

At work when rigging monitors to football gantries etc, we used a "lifting Bag", it was strong with handles that a rope could be attached to.

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 20th Apr 2014, 11:22 am   #20
Station X

The bags which sand and gravel are delivered in might serve as a substitute even though they're quite large.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Hippobag-Midi/p/152852

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread