UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2014, 8:50 pm   #21
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Favourite VCR Mechanisms

I came to respect the Sony SLC9 beta mech with its electronically controlled back tension and separate hall effect motors under each reel table. Built like a Swiss watch, it was a delight to work on and set up. Generic type pinch rollers often caused problems with tape edge damage and poor audio, the reason being that the originals had an offset bearing such that the equal clamping pressure on the rollers cradle caused the original roller to distort slightly and cause the tape to naturally run or drift "up" the capstan and run correctly against the guides. Generics allowed the tape to wander causing problems.

VHS... I probably worked on all the JVC/Thorn derivatives in my time with TTR, I thought all the Philips mechs were plastic junk (sorry ) but had pinch roller changes in situ down to a fine art. Many of the other brands seemed to have mechs made from recycled baked bean tins, just as sharp and just as thin. Sentra 8400
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 4:07 pm   #22
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Although I do like the robustness of the JVC/Ferguson HR-7200/3V29 series, I also like the HR-D700/FV26D as it has the digital video effects module.

I have several JVC machines in the HR-D120 to HR-D720 model number range and wondered if anyone has (or knows where to find it on the web) a table or list showing which models were fitted with which JVC mechanism? I'm trying to slim down the number of VCRs I have and this would be very helpful.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 6:46 pm   #23
Andrew2
Nonode

Favourites were the Sharp decks as used in the 9300 etc and the Ferguson/JVC 3v22(?). The only thing that went wrong with the Sharp mech was the reel motor/idler, and the JVC deck occasionally needed a new belt. They were simple and needed no great brain-power to fix.
I never got on well with the Panasonic G deck. It seemed unnecessarily complicated and the poor bloke who thought it up must surely have had er 'issues'. After a few disasters, I always gave these machines to my bench-partner who wasn't the brightest bulb in the shop but could fix almost anything mechanical!
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 8:42 pm   #24
gavinhall
Retired Dormant Member

The ones I hated were those with punched steel housings which sliced your fingers when you released the cassette housing's locks. Evil designers didn't want the things fixed. Samsung and goodmans/funai/sentra/inno hit/general, whatever they were that week, were the worst.
Old 5th Apr 2014, 9:30 am   #25
AidanLunn
Heptode

Two JVC mechs. The late 80s one and the one immediately before it.
Old 24th Apr 2014, 12:46 pm   #26
daro
Retired Dormant Member

There was a mech that Philips used that I think was sourced from Grundig (or vice versa) which was called the World Deck & it had that God awful shaft where the plastic gear would crack that was on the end of the shaft.

I still have one of those evil Grundig VHS machines.

The first VCR I brought was an Panasonic NV-F66 (G2 revised mech) back in '91 & I still have that although the electros are showing their age now.

Then I brought an Panasonic NV-FJ630 (Z mech) back in about '99 & later on brought a second hand one a couple of years later & I still have those.

The best deck I worked on was the Sharp VC-9300 with sensor lamps, reel idler tyres & reel motors being the main problems with those decks.

My Family brought one of those back in '83 at the height of the VHS boom.

Last edited by daro; 24th Apr 2014 at 12:53 pm.
Old 24th Apr 2014, 2:59 pm   #27
bobbyball
Octode

The "World Deck" to which you refer is called the "Turbo deck" here and, apart from that plastic gear splitting on the shaft was quite good despite it's "plastic fantastic" construction. I still have some - in Philips, Grundig and B&O guises - that work well. I always found the pinch roller a bit of a fiddle to change on these, with a bracket needing to be bent sideways so the assembly holding the pinch roller can be lifted clear...
Old 24th Apr 2014, 6:24 pm   #28
Libratron
Pentode

I like very much The Sony Beta's 711B / 711D Chassis.
And the Sanyo VTC-5150 Mechanism; is like a cassette deck
for the rew and ffwd function. And it's very easy to servicing.

But only 711B chassis is much better of the Sanyo VTC-5150 Mechanism

Libratron
Closed Thread