UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2014, 5:28 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Favourite VCR Mechanisms

Out of interest what is you favourite VCR mech for good build and efficient operation?

The G Deck has lasted well I think - even now, 25 years later, they are still operating without issue. I have not had one go wrong and so thankfully have not had to attempt a re-time of the gears.
Old 4th Feb 2014, 5:41 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Panasonic G deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
Out of interest what is you favourite VCR mech for good build and efficient operation?
I liked the earlier JVC/Thorn Decks such as the 3V23 and 3V29 etal, rubber bits aside they were solidly built.

The G-Deck was fairly fragile and complex, one foul up in the gear train led to cumulative mayhem and/or destruction , the later revisions being more reliable, the excellent G2 was good as well.

The later K-Deck being the last of the good Panasonics with the die-cast deck, the Z-deck was cheap and nasty by comparison, the later Pana decks (Z-Deck onwards) being built down to a price (like everyone else) sadly being nothing special.
Old 4th Feb 2014, 6:45 pm   #3
steve1010uk
Pentode

I liked some of the Sharp decks i think the best was the 9300 and similar later models the heads lasted ages and they were easy to work on.

Armed with a cassette lamp, reel idler, and possibly a reel motor you could fix 95% of them in minutes and they were great money makers !

The 3V29 came a close second all you needed was a belt kit reel idler and lamp

Steve
Old 4th Feb 2014, 9:28 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
Highly debatable, but I do like the Philips turbo deck. It was built with both performance and serviceability in mind. In some ways it represented the very best that could be built to a consumer price. Main criticism: too much plastic, so eventually some non-replaceable or hard to replace part would break.
Old 4th Feb 2014, 10:35 pm   #5
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Favourite VCR Mechanisms

I will agree with Maarten that the Turbo deck, despite it's "plastic fantastic" construction, was one of the better designs of the time and much less compicated to repair than, say, a Panasonic "G" deck. I have several which are still working well. Much, much better than their previous offering, the "Charly" deck...

Another mechansim that I always liked was the one used by Grundig in their first VHS machines (VS180, 200, 220 etc). This was a derivative of the deck used in their final V2000 format machines, used a very elegant "C" wrap of the tape and had separate wind and rewind motors giving very smooth (and quiet) winding. Not many of these left I suspect.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 7:28 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

I am a great fan of the early JVC/Ferguson machines, of which I have several.
I still have my first VCR, a Ferguson 3V22 that is still working fine after 35 years!
It is built like a battleship, but was quite compact for it's time. It has had two new heads and three belt kits and a cassette lamp since I bought it second hand in 1981.
I also have the posh deluxe model (3V16) with wired remote control.
Likewise the later models, 3V29 top loader with wired remote control, and the huge front loading 3V31 with infra red remote.
Both these machines were very well built and reliable.

The 3V39 suffered from failure of the eject damping mech, leading to failure of the cassette lamp due to the lid raising with a thump, but otherwise another reliable machine.

My 3V31 has had a lot of use and been very reliable, it's only real problem has been the cassette loading rollers failing due to wear, I replaced them with rollers scavenged from a scrap printer.

None of my machines have had any electrical problems (yet!).

Mark
Old 5th Feb 2014, 10:11 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The 3V23, as it was simple and reliable despite the complexity of the rest of the machine.

The older 3292, 3V00 - 3V16 were good and, but the rivets in the mech did tend to come loose with the various clunk-click things happening! Thorn sent us a tool and separate rivets to overcome this.

Not a fan of the 3V29 and 3V30 with the plastic mech buttons.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 1:24 pm   #8
Studio263
Octode

Matsushita D1 / D2, as found in the Panasonic NV-370 and NV-730. Probably the best VHS transport which I worked on. This was the last major series before the G deck, which was a piece of junk in comparison.

Philips VR6560 / VR6462: Very well made and sturdy, we have very few problems with these and they always gave good results.

Philips VR6362 / VR6367: This is the early version of the "Charlie" deck which when you get to grips with it is very easy to service, only the laser cut heads with the built in rotary transformer were a nuisance as you could only get genuine (expensive) ones as replacements, although life was better than most. The great thing about this deck was how easy it was to remove from the machine and replace with another one; three screws, a few plugs and away you go - try that with anything from Japan! These were one of the few VTRs that you could do a decent "home call" service on.

Hitachi VT-11 / VT-17: A great deck which was simple and reliable, only the rubbish capstan motor (easy to replace though) let them down. The carriage on the VT-17 is a bit flimsy but even when the gears start to break up it still works, so why worry? The loading arm gears are beginning to seize up now, a tricky repair but you can do it with a bit of care.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 1:43 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Hitachi VT-11 / VT-17: A great deck which was simple and reliable, only the rubbish capstan motor (easy to replace though) let them down. The carriage on the VT-17 is a bit flimsy but even when the gears start to break up it still works, so why worry? The loading arm gears are beginning to seize up now, a tricky repair but you can do it with a bit of care.
I agree. We had one of these new in about 1982 and it was very reliable except for the reel idler which used to need replacing every 3 years or so (sluggish FF/RW). We had the top-loading VT-11, and with small fingers, it was possible to change it via the pop-up cassette door without so much as a screwdriver, in about 30 seconds

I still remember your handy tip for sourcing replacement capstan motors; it's just a shame I chucked my pile of cheapie videos out ages ago: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=23089

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 5th Feb 2014 at 1:51 pm.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 2:21 pm   #10
Studio263
Octode

One more: Mitsubishi HS-304B. 5 motors so really nothing to go wrong, loading belt nice and fat so wears well (and easy to replace). Shame the rest of the machine was so basic, if very tidy looking.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 2:31 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Yes - the VT-11 and the front-loading VT-33 were great, and with a modified motor would last forever, or at least till another idler died. Mind you, using a proper Hitachi supplied one meant that wasn't too often. I wasn't keen on the VT-17/19, especially the rental versions as that horrible glue on the top boards would cause all manner of faults - not the deck's fault, of course.
Panasonic 370 and 730 - good reliable decks as were the Sharp 381 and Ferguson 3V29 series. When one of these came in you know it could be turned round quickly. Funny when a Charlie or G-deck came in everyone seemed busy elsewhere!
The main thing I found was to always use manufacturer's spares whenever possible - we would often get 'just repaired' machines using those idlers with purple letters on them - they would last only a few weeks and were never satisfactory. The exceptions were Philips pinchrollers that were far better than the originals!
Glyn
PS Yes Tim - that Mitsubishi never went wrong - I think a couple of belts and heads were all I've ever done to those. The 'basicness' was a blessing as they sold to people who only needed a simple machine. Far easier than the HS-306 which, although good, was a bit of a beast to strip down.
Old 5th Feb 2014, 10:16 pm   #12
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

My personal favourites were the JVC designed decks. I liked the Ferguson 3V35 from around 1983/84. They were a joy to work on and the electronics were very reliable. They did suffer premature capstan motor wear and the video heads weren't long lived but were very economic to repair. Belts, idlers, clutch assembly and pinch roller all cheap and easy to replace. The cassette carriage could play up on high usage machines.

Like the 3V29 before it, it's easy to see why the trade liked them so much and they were popular rental machines.

I also liked the Panasonic NV333 and Hitachi VT11 and most Sharp decks. Mitsubishi seemed to use some awkward mechanical designs, model HS337 springs to mind.

The Philips Charly deck wasn't too bad once you got used to replacing the pinch roller/rack a few times.

Some of those Amstrad decks = tape edge chewers.

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 5th Feb 2014 at 10:35 pm. Reason: text correction
Old 6th Feb 2014, 12:43 pm   #13
Nicklyons2
Octode

The 3V00/HR3300 and its clones will always rate high for me; conversely anything with a Philips badge on in the VCR line brings on dread - from the N1500 onwards ( why use metal when crappy plastic can be substituted ). Can I put in a shout, in the Beta camp for the Sanyo VTC5000 and its clones - I know the idler did give the odd problem but it was easily fixed and they suffered from little else.
Old 6th Feb 2014, 8:12 pm   #14
john.north
Pentode

My first new vcr was a JVC HR-D700EK with PinP which I still have and still works. It has never had the top off. The front control flap was broken when I lent it to a friend but works fine via the remote. The Mitsubishi decks with the supply and take up reel torque motors were pretty good, and I liked the Charly decks- dead easy decks to strip and assemble once you had done a few.The electronics side could throw up some strange faults including convincing you that the capstan motor was faulty.
Old 7th Feb 2014, 2:11 am   #15
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
.....the one used by Grundig in their first VHS machines (VS180, 200, 220 etc). This was a derivative of the deck used in their final V2000 format machines, used a very elegant "C" wrap of the tape and had separate wind and rewind motors giving very smooth (and quiet) winding. Not many of these left I suspect.
Well, I have two!
After years spent changing belts and idlers, and with these parts now getting scarce, I've a special attraction to direct drives. My preference these days are those with a minimum of rubber, which do not use a rubber idler tyre or in some cases load motor belt. I like to put one to use every now and again, and not have to worry about a loop of tape hanging out as the idler tyre has glazed over! Fair enough, rubber parts are cheap, but often considerable disassembly is required and they need regular use, and even then many idlers seem only to last 3 or so years.

For this reason, though I own a few, I don't particularly like the Panasonic D decks or Hitachis (VT17 , 33 etc)- endless idler changing required, they also have several belts. The Funai /Amstrad 6000 (mentioned here earlier, used in Double decker, etc) are showing their age - plus there is a veritable rats' nest of belts to change (5?) and the mode switch tends to get dirty very often (awkward to get to).

I quite like the Philips turbo (very fast and responsive) and charlie (just weird, and fun to use!), with the caveat of the awkward plastic parts failing in the former. I'm still looking for a hi fi stereo charlie!

Also:

-most Sanyo, p90 onwards. The deck used in the next generation (VHR-765, VHR-H70 etc) is very quick and responsive. Occasional mode switch cleaning required - perhaps a weak spot.
On that note I dislike the Samsungs of the mid-late 90s (SV60, SV73 etc) - painfully unresponsive and disintegrating brakes!
-Panasonic (strictly post-G deck!) - quite responsive, only had to change a cracked load gear on some.
-LG/Aiwa/Daewoo - low maintenance, accessible deck, hard pinch rollers seem to be the only real problem. The load motor I think is also gear coupled.
-Some Sony - I have an SLV777 and a few later stereo ones (SLV-E80, SLV-SX70 Secam which my son has just wrecked ). Like the deck, responsive, but carriages weren't too robust.
- The Thomson R3000 (I think that's the one) was also fairly low maintenance, the main drive belt is about all that ever fails. Load motor gear coupled.
-The R2000: was a strange beast, not unlike the charlie with the pinch roller that slides across the deck! VERY fast operation.

I have various variants of the JVC HRD140, like the looks but that slow lace up and the cue/review you have to hold down get on my nerves!
Old 7th Feb 2014, 10:09 am   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Philips Charly deck was a strain on the NHS system. I think it was the 'Swan Song' for old Harold the Philips Bowden cable designer. I think he had the last laugh on us all. I visited many service guys that had spent many weeks in therapy after attempting reliable repairs on this contraption. A few Charlies even changed their names..

Favourites? JVC from 3V29, in fact all models, Sharp decks, Panasonic NV370 [series] Matsui/Orion/Saisho, NEC and quite a few more. The poor ones were soon scrapped. John.
Old 7th Feb 2014, 12:18 pm   #17
Restoration73
Nonode

Sony VO-2630. Only downside is the 60 minute tapes. (U-matic)
Old 9th Feb 2014, 6:39 pm   #18
samjmann
Heptode

Hi all,

I think my favourite deck was that used in the Philips VR202/21/22/23. It was a superbly engineered bit of kit. Full electronic control, separate motors for FF/RW etc. It made what the Japanese were producing at the time seem agricultural.

It was let down by dodgy opto couplers and some even worse relays on the deck underside. If you didn't have the PCB extender boards, these machines were almost impossible to work on. That aside, most of the faults were on the deck itself. With regard to retiming, if you thought that a Philips 'Charley' or a Pana G was bad - 'they were for kids', compared to a 'threading car re-string' on a VR2020. This was a truly awful job. I only had to do the one (fortunately) in the 12 years or so that I serviced these VCR's

Once VHS had killed off V2000, all of our alignment tapes, jigs etc were put into a box then stored. After a few more years the service manager said 'we'll never use these again', and into the bin it all went...

Ah well.... SJM.
Old 10th Feb 2014, 1:46 pm   #19
Sanbeta
Hexode

I have to agree with a couple of above nominations, namely the Sanyo P88, P90 VHS decks, usually only a dirty mode switch and the loading belt give issues over time.Also with the Beta camp, Sanyo VTC 5000 onwards mechanism,strength and simplicity rules here (wearing rubber belts and idler tyres aside).

.....................Kev
Old 10th Feb 2014, 9:31 pm   #20
samjmann
Heptode

Hi all,

Yes, the Sanyo P88, P90, although complicated, was reliable. I seem to remember early decks suffering from a brake problem. This was cured in later production. The company I worked for used them as CCTV time lapse recorders in 24Hr use. All we ever had to do was replace belts, back-tension bands and of course video heads!

SJM.
Closed Thread