UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2014, 11:34 am   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Sony SL-C7UB Stuck Buttons

Hi all.

I haven't been venturing too much into video recorders for quite a few years but I would really like to try and get one of my old Sony C7s working. There are the usual mechanical issues - sticky tapes, dirty tape path, belts and other rubber issues etc. but there are also a couple of faults with the clocks (all my C7 machines have the same faults).

The first thing is that all the rectangular "Toko" (brand) switches used to set the timer etc. have lost their springiness and are all stuck in the "down" position. (I'll post a picture of the switches but they're dark grey, about 8 or 9mm long, about 4 or 5mm wide and about 4 or 5 mm deep with a white plastic "+" shaped button sticking a few mm out of the top. They also have "Toko" embossed lightly in the top.)

The second problem is that the top line of the fluorescent display segments are all blank or very faded while the rest of the segments are pretty good (not perfect but not bad). I guess it may just be the fluorescent display itself but I thought I'd check to see if others have had the same problem.

Many thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 11:43 am   #2
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Re: Sony SL-C7UB Stuck Buttons

Mike,

This problem happens on the SL-F1 portable machine as well. The TV channel selection buttons stick in. Have a look here, near the bottom of the page for a possible solution.

Mark.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 12:07 pm   #3
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Mark.

That's an excellent start. I have ordered some stuff called, er, "Power-Lube" which is apparently plastic and rubber-friendly. I think it'll be okay to put a link to the product if that's okay with the mods. (It's called "Peco PL64 Power Lube".)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PECO-PL-64...-/121013736730

I will try it out and report back my success (or otherwise). Now I just need to sort out the clock issue.

Thanks again Mark.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 3:16 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Same problem as on the KV-2212, 2215 etc. tellies in the mid 80s, I'd guess. You used to be able to buy replacement tact switches from every dealer, either 2- or 4-pin. They were under a flap at the top right of the set: http://audioidiots.com/afbeelding.groot.php?itemID=3330

Good luck with it, Mike.

Nick.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 4:52 pm   #5
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks Nick. I'll investigate replacements - I'm not sure what you call this type of switch though. (Tact switch? Is that their name?)

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 6:54 pm   #6
Mikey405
Octode

Well, what do you know - Looking up "Tact Switch" on Google found millions of places with possible replacement switches - A bit of further investigation is required but I will report back my findings.

Thanks Nick.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 9:16 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

My pleasure.

Full name is "tactile switch" [i.e. it goes click and you can feel it doing so, so you know if it's been actuated], but they always seem to be referred to as tact switches.
Closed Thread