UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:02 pm   #1
Ahmed_phonpo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron TV30CK - Advice for a newbie

First of all, thank you all so much for this fantastic forum which has helped me learn a ton over the years - although I've never contributed myself

I just got a Dynatron TV30CK set in a lovely condition. It came from a collector who has worked on it a decade ago, and it's powering up and working seemingly fine. I've been looking for a similar set for a while, so pretty happy to add this to my collection.

I'm very new to vintage TVs however (mostly a gramophones and phonographs man), and have a couple of questions;

- I've been told it's been serviced a decade ago, but can still see what looks like a couple of old electrolytic caps; I presume these need replacing?

- The set emits a high pitched squeal when the TV is on (but not when the VHF radio is on). This is not from the speaker, rather is from somewhere inside the cabinet. The pitch of it changes up and down as I adjust the Line Control knob; I presume that's not normal?

I've only ever worked on mechanical and simple electro-mechanical devices. Although I've got a good understanding of theory behind how a CRT TV works, and electronics theory, I've got no experience of TV repairs so please bear with me

Before I go ahead and pay a good amount for a standards converter, I want to make sure the TV is all OK, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Equally, if there's someone close by in Surrey / South London who can take a look at it for me, that'd be even better!

PS; Completely understand TV repairs are a very different kind of beast from gramophone restoration, and wouldn't be touching anything without having done my homework first.

Thanks a ton in advance
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:44 pm   #2
linescan87
Heptode

Default Re: Dynatron TV30CK - Advice for a newbie

Hi Ahmed,

Welcome to the forum. The high pitched sound is called "line whistle" and is normal for a 405line set. The electrolytic capacitors are probably ok. It's the wax paper capacitors that give trouble, though they have probably been replaced by the previous collector (best not to power up again until this is confrimed.) Pictures will help.

I'm sure others will be along who have first hand experience of this chassis. Good luck!

John Joe.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 7:44 pm   #3
Ahmed_phonpo
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John

Many thanks for your help. Here are a few pictures of the inside and outside of the set for reference. Any advice would be much appreciated as must admit I couldn't tell difference between wax paper and electrolytic caps by eye !

I shall get in touch with the previous owner to see if he remembers what work he's done on the set.

Many thanks
Ahmed
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 11:39 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There has been quite a few wax paper capacitors replaced but still others that are original.

Unless I am mistaken without a signal source of some kind you will find it difficult to judge if the set is working correctly, you should be able to get a raster on the screen and the VHF radio should work with an aerial of some type connected. You won’t be able to check the vision stages, AGC and sync circuits are working correctly though.

High voltages and live chassis are used in the TV so suitable safety precautions are required.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 12:00 am   #5
Ahmed_phonpo
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Frank. I've got an Aurora converter on order, and the previous owner demoed it with one and it displayed the test card all fine

I shall get the wax caps replaced before they give up. Will take appropriate precautions of course

Any suggestions on preferred supplier for suitable caps, or should an eBay search suffice ?
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:19 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Farnell and RS components are two UK companies that can supply capacitors, there are quite a few others as well.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 2:21 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

One thing to ask the previous owner is about those wax capacitors, some restorers clean out the old cap and put new ones inside so it looks original. If this as been done then you may have to change very little if any.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:09 pm   #8
beery
Heptode

Hi Ahmed,
That looks like a good set to start on and it has had enough work done on it to show a picture. So I would suggest that you change one capacitor at a time and check that the set still works after changing each one. 400Vdc or 630Vdc capacitors are ideal to replace the waxies. Note that only the tubular wax capacitors will need changing. Any flat wax capacitors will be of the Mica type that normally never give any trouble.

For an example of a 0.1uF (100nF) capacitor, we can see a 400V one on RS:-
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polye...itors/1854347/
The same item in Farnell:-
https://uk.farnell.com/vishay/mkt181...pet/dp/1166856
The 630V version in Farnell:-
https://uk.farnell.com/vishay/mkt181...pet/dp/1166877
or a cheaper 630V alternative at Rapid Electronics:-
https://www.rapidonline.com/jb-capac...acitor-08-1321

I hope that shows you some of the options available for new capacitors.

Cheers
Andy
Old 5th Dec 2018, 3:16 pm   #9
Ahmed_phonpo
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for your help. I'll get started on identifying the cap values needed, get them ordered and replace one at a time as suggested.

Best
Ahmed
Closed Thread