UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2018, 12:01 am   #1
JamieDE
Retired Dormant Member

Default Installing Chromecast to vintage Sony Trinitron KV1320UB

Hi, I’ve had a look on line and found a way of installing a Google Chromecast to my old Sony Trinitron KV1320UB TV. The TV works fine, but I want the convenience of modern programme selection etc. I have sourced most of the parts 1) Chromecast 2) HDMI to AV converter 3) RF Modulator 4) 75ohm to 300ohm matching transformer. Here’s the rub. I want all of those components wired up and contained within the TV cabinet. With power activated from the on / off switch. If that’s something you could help me with I would be really happy. Thanks
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 1:39 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Installing Chromecast to vintage Sony Trinitron KV1320UB

My first thought, is there enough room in the cabinet to safely mount the items? I suspect not.
Have you connected the items together outside of the cabinet to confirm they do what you expect?

I would build it into an external enclosure and use as a set top box, not what you asked for but that’s my advice.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 12:07 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

I agree, there's not enough room in the UK version. The only space would be above the mains transformer which is next to the decoder panel, not an ideal place to put noisy digital circuitry. Also, the architecture of the KV-1320UB does not include a low voltage line with enough surplus capacity to run all that stuff, so the power supplies for each item would have to be built in too, there's definitely no space for those.

No need for the matching transformer by the way, a modulator gives so much signal that the mismatch into the tuner's nominally 300 ohm input impedance is of no consequence.

Finally, these sets aren't as cheap as they one were (if in good condition), so the last thing you want to do is to cut one about to install hardware which may be the latest thing now but will be obsolete and redundant in a few years time. The external box route is the way to go.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 1:16 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The external box could be completely hidden except for the remote control sensor, and possibly attached semi-permanently to the back cover with sticky pads, cable ties etc.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 2:24 pm   #5
Rubberfingers
Pentode

A "Standby Saver" adaptor or extension socket will allow the TV on/off switch to control the power to the other items without making any any mods or direct connection to the TV itself. Standby Savers a are common at boot sales (or try a "wanted" on Freecycle/Freegle) as they were given out free by the utility companies a few years ago. You need the type that detects whether a device plugged into a master socket is on or not and switches the other sockets accordingly, not the ones with an infra red reciever.

Last edited by Rubberfingers; 23rd Nov 2018 at 2:30 pm.
Old 24th Nov 2018, 2:15 pm   #6
JamieDE
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all your advice. On reflection the stand alone external option seems to be the way to go. Easy too.
Old 24th Nov 2018, 3:46 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

There should be enough space either side of the tube bubble behind the set as long as there is enough space for air circulation.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 12:59 am   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Just an idea: You could perhaps make a 1970s/80s styled "set top box" to go with it, and have the components hidden inside, so they don't look too out of place? Perhaps with a teak wood effect?

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 29th Nov 2018 at 1:07 am.
Closed Thread