UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2021, 1:31 pm   #1
Nicko
Pentode

Default Paint to refresh engraved markings...

I'm looking for a suitable hard-wearing paint to re-fill some engraved scales on a steel panel.

Over many years, the black paint has simply fallen out/been abraded and it needs replacing.

Suggestions for paint & applicators etc. welcome

(I know some folk have used "cocktail sticks" as brushes)
Old 12th Jul 2021, 3:34 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Paint to refresh engraved markings...

It depends on what paint is already on the rest of the panel. Some paints react with different types and can make a mess, EG Cellulose and domestic gloss.

An acrylic is usually a good bet as a well-behaved material. Available in small tubes and lots of colours from art shops, though you might feel the need to wear a beret while applying it.

David
Old 12th Jul 2021, 4:08 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

You can use engravers' wax, or even try a black wax crayon. The engravers' wax can be melted into the engraving, then the excess scraped off. Rather easier than trying to use thinners to get enamel paint off without dragging it all out of the grooves... Personal experience...!
Old 12th Jul 2021, 4:30 pm   #4
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
You can use engravers' wax, or even try a black wax crayon. The engravers' wax can be melted into the engraving, then the excess scraped off. Rather easier than trying to use thinners to get enamel paint off without dragging it all out of the grooves... Personal experience...!
I thought of engravers wax, but this panel gets quite warm - warm enough to soften wax - so I ruled that out.

I was going in the direction of enamelled paint... or even black Locktite of which I have a small bottle...
Old 12th Jul 2021, 4:38 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

It might be worth a try on a bit of the panel (can you tell what the original filling material was?) as it's not 'wax' but rather a shellac of some kind so needs quite a bit of heat to melt.

Enamel is possible (I've done it with Humbrol), but needs to be wiped off with white spirit before the thin unwanted parts outside the engraved markings have dried too hard, but when those in the markings have set enough so as not to dissolve and wash out. I had inordinate trouble with an AVO, and should have just used a soft wax-type filler for that, I think.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 6:00 pm   #6
Nicko
Pentode

I should have been a bit clearer - this is the front panel of a brushed stainless steel range cooker.

It's a Lacanche Macon - fantastic cooker, built like a tank, but all the engraved infill is falling out (it is 15 years old and has heavy use, but is otherwise like new).

These cookers are far from cheap - I spoke to Lacanche UK and their helpful reply was to offer me a new front control panel at several 100 quid. Really?

Most of the panel stays at a reasonable temperature, but part of it is above the grill and can get pretty hot when the door is open...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-07-12 18_04_48-100cm Lacanche Range Cooker_ Macon - Lacanche.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	237582  

Last edited by Nicko; 12th Jul 2021 at 6:07 pm.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 8:51 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the past I've re-done these things by using a needle to dig-out all the old paint then spraying the panel with an acrylic-type rattle-can.

Let the paint dry really-hard [a few days] then go over the whole thing with 3200 Wet&Dry paper, which will remove the paint from everywhere except the engravings.

After that, a clearcoat with suitably-compatible lacquer.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 9:06 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Rotring drawing ink and a suitable pen? Although I do have a set of Stylograph pens, I also use a traditional dip pen with a fine steel nib for small ink jobs where it's not worth filling a stylograph and cleaning it up afterwards. The steel pen works OK for applying small quantities of Humbrol paints (and clock oil) too.

Last edited by emeritus; 12th Jul 2021 at 9:10 pm. Reason: typos
Old 15th Jul 2021, 11:09 am   #9
chriswood1900
Octode

Given the cooker is likely to be an enameled surface I would use Humbrol enamel on a small brush and wipe off with spirit just before it has dried fully.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 12:47 pm   #10
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
Given the cooker is likely to be an enameled surface I would use Humbrol enamel on a small brush and wipe off with spirit just before it has dried fully.
As mentioned previously, it's brushed stainless steel.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 6:24 pm   #11
chriswood1900
Octode

Sorry missed that it was SS, however I would still use the same technique I have used the Humbrol enamels many times to fill engraving with no adverse reactions.
I usually apply it with a very fine modelling brush.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 6:30 pm   #12

Are you going to do this flat or in situ?

Old 15th Jul 2021, 7:23 pm   #13
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Probably in situ - the cooker is in very regular use and would be a nightmare to disassemble.

The surface in question is therefore vertical.
Old 15th Jul 2021, 9:55 pm   #14

Quote:
Go for fine felt pens in that case.

Old 15th Jul 2021, 10:43 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

The paint may get into the grain of the brushed stainless on the face of the panel and it might be a bit of a devil to get out. If you have to use solvent for an extended time, It'll soften the paint in the engraving.

David
Old 17th Jul 2021, 5:02 am   #16
mole42uk
Nonode

I think I'd leave it well alone. Repairing the markings is likely to take forever and, as you say the appliance is in constant use, likely to be very frustrating.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 17th Jul 2021, 9:42 am   #17
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Probably in situ - the cooker is in very regular use and would be a nightmare to disassemble.

I'd second the disassemble thing. I replaced the oven thermostat on one of the two ovens on our Rangemaster cooker. First: pull cooker all the way out. Second: remove the top, back, front panel. Third remove internal self-clean panels. Took a couple of hours all told. At least it gave the opportunity for a deep clean!

Because of fading printing on the front panel and knobs, I've replaced them in the past.

Craig
Old 20th Jul 2021, 8:49 pm   #18
Oldcodger
Nonode

For recessed lettering, I've no suggestions. But for somewhere that has raised lettering, I have a tip. It comes from an old uncle of mine . On Gravestones, the raised letters are always/usually finished in black. He saved bits of scrap cloth, cork bottle stoppers and elastic bands. The cloth he cut into squares, and fitted to the cork bottle top. He then added a little black paint to a tin lid, dabbed the cloth in the paint and applied to the face of the letter.

Last edited by Oldcodger; 20th Jul 2021 at 8:56 pm.
Old 21st Jul 2021, 12:02 pm   #19
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Most of the panel stays at a reasonable temperature, but part of it is above the grill and can get pretty hot when the door is open...
That does make a difference - you don't want anything waxy dribbling out of the markings!

I'll put myself in the Humbrol camp, or a similar enamel type paint. Have you considered high-temperature engine or brake calliper paints? I know POR-15 do a few different colours for that market.

Perhaps try Humbrol in the one over the grill, and if it doesn't bake on but comes off, try something more resistant. In my experience of Airfix, heat set Humbrol faster. Good for impatient children, as long as the model doesn't droop under the onslaught.
Closed Thread