UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2021, 1:04 pm   #21
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: IRON METHOD for PCB's

Hi Les. Not tried your "touch up" method..... I use nail varnish...... its surprising how well it flows, when stored in the fridge..... at room temp its sludgy and slow. Up to now I have not mentioned the "occasional" missing bits.... in my case usually at ends or corners... even though I pay good attention to these areas. My etchant is ferric chloride,,, I still have some left after my years in industry. I was very fortunate to obtain an etch tank as sold by Maplins, a few years back...... I worked in returns at the time..it came back in pieces ....so I bought the bits and made a jig... and rebuilt using the silicon adhesive used in the aquatic world. A heating element and air blower finish the setup...takes about 10 mins usually, but some heavier coppers obviously take longer.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 21st Feb 2021, 1:17 pm   #22
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: IRON METHOD for PCB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
Hi Les. Not tried your "touch up" method..... I use nail varnish...... its surprising how well it flows, when stored in the fridge..... at room temp its sludgy and slow. Up to now I have not mentioned the "occasional" missing bits.... in my case usually at ends or corners... even though I pay good attention to these areas. My etchant is ferric chloride,,, I still have some left after my years in industry. I was very fortunate to obtain an etch tank as sold by Maplins, a few years back...... I worked in returns at the time..it came back in pieces ....so I bought the bits and made a jig... and rebuilt using the silicon adhesive used in the aquatic world. A heating element and air blower finish the setup...takes about 10 mins usually, but some heavier coppers obviously take longer.
Yes - however carefull you are there is always one or two little bits that need doing! Still use the hot iron here and get very good results. HCl + a dash of H2O2 gives a quick result. I just use an old photographic tray for the solution and save the liquid for next time. It achieves a beautiful blue-green colour.
Closed Thread