UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2021, 2:02 pm   #1
Nobilmente
Triode

Default Hacker Hunter powering

I feel I ought to know that answer to this, because I lived through the period we were using these radios.

I have a Hacker Hunter (in lovely condition) and when running it via the 18v adapter I'm getting, what I think is EMI, so I'm operating it on batteries now until I can sort out a choke for the cable.

The question is.............as I'm running the radio on batteries, am I also able to power it via the adapter without removing the batteries?

I've had a good look around on the internet, but there does not seem to be any information about it at all. Which makes me think I should already know the answer!!
Old 1st Aug 2021, 3:07 pm   #2

Default Re: Hacker Hunter powering

It is fine with the batteries in when on external power the socket switches out the batteries when a plug is inserted. With all the crap on the mains these days I am not at all surprised you are getting interference. I run my Hacker from batteries just for that reason.

Old 1st Aug 2021, 3:11 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The PSU you are using, is it the the Hacker VP 408 which is a linear type or a more modern Switch Mode? If it’s a switch mode that could be the cause of the interference.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 7:34 pm   #4
Nobilmente
Triode

Default Re: Hacker Hunter powering.

It's an 18V linear 300mA negative.

I thought at first that the buzzing sound I was getting was the radio itself, I moved from one room to another but the buzzing remained. Once I'd installed the batteries the problem went.

I have a Roberts 606MB too, and that does not have the problem when run from the mains. I'm going to try a choke on the PSU cable and see how I get on. Thanks very much for the information about the powering, I can proceed with confidence now!

I run a location recording company, and I've sussed out the various problems with recording equipment on location, I don't have any problems with the many pieces of equipment in use.

www.harlequin-recording.co.uk

However, radio is a new departure for me, so lots to learn. I'm loving this Hacker Hunter though, it's in lovely condition too.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 2:04 pm   #5
agardiner
Octode

If its a linear supply then it is likely that the main smoothing cap has perished and needs replacing. Normally these old linear supplies are pretty good, and it is only modern SMPS types that have far too much noise.

That said, with all the modern electrical noise around, you will still usually get better AM performance using batteries. I presume it is using 2 of the PP9 types? They last a very long time and are pretty cheap in the likes of Wilko.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 5:52 pm   #6
Nobilmente
Triode

The power supply adapter is new and linear, it's 18V 300mA negative.

I nipped to Wilkos and got two PP9 batteries, which were £4 each, which seems to line up with some of the prices I've seen people quoting on the forum.

I'll see if I can locate that smoothing capacitor, in the radio, I've ordered a 13mm ferrite choke, which might effect a change, let's hope.

I've a feeling you might be right about the smoothing capacitor, it's not something I've met with before with the other equipment here, but it has to be said those pieces of equipment are not radios.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 9:48 pm   #7
agardiner
Octode

The smoothing cap I was referring to would be inside the power supply. So if it is new and is linear, then the noise must be simply coming from the mains and passing through the supply.

I think batteries will be your friend.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 12:46 am   #8
Nobilmente
Triode

I did wonder about that after I'd written my reply, I went on to Google to check up what the situation was inside of the PSU.

Yes, it is new, and linear, so the ferrite choke will hopefully sort things out.

I notice that when the sound is turned down, there is still a residual hum.

I have some ferrite beads somewhere here but haven't been able to locate them, the one I've ordered is a 13mm hole.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:24 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

"New" and "linear" but is it regulated? Trannies can be quite sensitive to the ripple from a basic transformer-rectifier-capacitor PSU.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Aug 2021, 11:58 am   #10
Nobilmente
Triode

Ah! I don't know.

I purchased it from AC ADAPTORS R US LTD, who advertised it as being for the Hacker Hunter radio. I asked all the questions I knew I should ask, re linear, powering, negative centre etc., but not whether it was regulated.

If I don't have success with the ferrite choke, I'll explore this further.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 12:09 pm   #11
Nobilmente
Triode

I'll be using the radio with battery until I sort this out.

Perhaps batteries is the best way to go, full stop!
Old 4th Aug 2021, 12:26 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I’ve found powering these from a scrap linear wall wart via a 7818 regulator to be very successful
Old 4th Aug 2021, 12:36 pm   #13
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente View Post
I'll be using the radio with battery until I sort this out.

Perhaps batteries is the best way to go, full stop!
I don’t have any experience of the Hunter, but if my Sovereign II is anything to go by, if you use it regularly you could be spending a lot on batteries. I reckon my Sovereign would cost me about £8 every week or two weeks if I used it on batteries for hours every day.

Mike
Old 4th Aug 2021, 1:35 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Eight pounds a week. Wow that is £416 per year. That is an expensive radio to run. John.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 1:44 pm   #15
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Eight pounds a week. Wow that is £416 per year. That is an expensive radio to run. John.
Yes, but have to admit that I have a radio on a lot of the time... I gave up on battery operation shortly after buying the Sovereign in 1970. I was an undergraduate then, and that sort of running cost was impossible.

Mike
Old 4th Aug 2021, 1:54 pm   #16
agardiner
Octode

Think I would make an adapter up to use several PP3's in parallel and then use rechargeables.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 2:02 pm   #17
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Think I would make an adapter up to use several PP3's in parallel and then use rechargeables.
I think those PP3s would be spending an awful lot of their time in the charger! But I don't know what the battery arrangements are in the Hunter, so maybe it's cheaper to run.

Mike
Old 5th Aug 2021, 12:37 pm   #18
Nobilmente
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I’ve found powering these from a scrap linear wall wart via a 7818 regulator to be very successful
Where would you locate the 7818 regulator Nick? Only polite answers please.
Old 5th Aug 2021, 2:45 pm   #19
Herald1360
Dekatron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264767037091

If you have a useful junk box, probably easier to use a 7815 with a few diodes up its tail or a 317 and a couple of resistors. Even a 7815 on its own would probably work just fine.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Aug 2021, 3:25 pm   #20
Nobilmente
Triode

I've just read your C.V., and can see how all of this makes sense to you!

Now, for the lad at the back of the class making musical arrangements while the maths lesson is in progress (courtesy the maths teacher), once more from the top please!?
Closed Thread