UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2021, 5:20 pm   #1
sotatech
Diode

Default Help Identifying Wax Cap

I wonder could someone identify the value of the attached wax capacitor please. It is marked L.E.M. and 270 (R?) but it a bit smudged.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	238712  
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 5:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help Identifying Wax Cap

Looks like a 270pF mica to me. Unlikely to be bad.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 7:59 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Looks like a 270pF mica to me. Unlikely to be bad.
Yes, I agree.

L.E.M. = The London Electrical Manufacturing Company Ltd.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 8:39 am   #4
sotatech
Diode

OK, thanks guys. It looks like a wax cap as the coating has a little give in it and I can scrape a bit of it off with a screwdriver.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 9:59 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Often early Mica capacitors were encapsulated in wax, not to be confused with paper capacitors with a wax coating which are often referred to as waxey's.

David
Old 4th Aug 2021, 12:07 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

This is an important distinction. When we refer to 'waxies' it is specifically the wax-coated paper capacitors that are invariably leaky. The problem is that the paper is hygroscopic and in the absence of hermetic sealing it absorbs water over time (although more recent studies suggest that some water may also be produced by decomposition of the paper.)

Mica capacitors are not hygroscopic therefore the choice of encapsulation, whether a resin moulding, dip or wax does not make much of a difference to their lifespan, so the presence of wax on a mica cap is not cause for concern and the capacitor is likely to be as good as new.
Closed Thread