UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:05 pm   #1
Station X

Default Lettering Perspex?

These "windows" from a Hallicrafters SX24 are probably made from Celluloid. One is cracked, the other badly discoloured and warped. I intend to replace them with Perspex or a similar material. Any suggestions as to how this could be lettered and cursor lined? The lettering is on the reverse side, ie inside the radio.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	227358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	227359  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:12 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Lettering Perspex?

Perhaps engraved from the rear and the depressions then back-filled with black paint ? Something similar was done for the Quad II amplifier serial number plate. The main design appears to have been moulded in, but the individual serial numbers must have been cut. Both were then filled with off-white paint and the whole lot backed with a second pale purple/beige layer. An engraving firm might advise.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:38 pm   #3
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

I have recently had some success using toner transfer using the hot iron method this would work if the ink side is on the inside as it’s fragile and will scratch off. It possible to transfer the image without melting the plastic but required experimenting. You can also laser print directly on to acetate sheet like OHP film. I am experimenting with my CNC router but cannot report success yet.

Also clear water slide transfers

I normally find better results drawing from scratch rather than trying to copy the original item.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 3:35 pm   #4
jonnybear
Octode

If you have a Brother P touch or have access to one using a clear tape with black ink you can print mirror images which will adhere to glass or perspex.

text from manual
Two line texts are printed in NORMAL regardless of the setting.
• Use clear tape in MIRROR, so the labels appear on the other side when stuck on glass,
windows or other transparent surfaces
John

Last edited by jonnybear; 23rd Feb 2021 at 3:40 pm.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 3:38 pm   #5
Station X

Good idea. I have both. I'll have to experiment, hopefully without wasting too much tape!

Thanks.

Old 23rd Feb 2021, 7:38 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

One possible option [though un-original] - contact someone who does trophy-engraving.

In the past I've used such a person to reverse-engrave a sheet of Perspex/Plexiglass. Illuminated from the edges the engraved text/logos show up really nicely.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 8:23 pm   #7
majoconz
Heptode

The frequency scale on a Sony CRF5090 I bought at an auction was badly warped. With nothing to lose I removed the whole scale, gently ironed it flat but it shrunk, scanned it, enlarged it, took the jpg file to a local printer who printed it onto matt transparency, refitted onto the scale drum and now works perfectly. The whole story is here...
https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/so...?language_id=5

Last edited by majoconz; 23rd Feb 2021 at 8:46 pm.
Old 24th Feb 2021, 1:10 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Transparent waterslide Decal? I've used that on front panels with great success. Available for ink jet or laser printers (you need to buy the right kind).

I don't have any experience using them on transparent perspex though.
Old 24th Feb 2021, 2:29 pm   #9
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Good idea. I have both. I'll have to experiment, hopefully without wasting too much tape!

Thanks.
From the PCB side of things - Printable Acetate sheet . As sold by the likes of Hobby craft under thwe trade name "STIX2" , and other suppliers. ( I mentioned Hobbycraft as it;;'s
(https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advance...+acetate+sheet) .
I know some folks on here do not like using this S/W, but I've found it's possible to print on the reverse side and by using the options ,in colours other thn the program options ( copy & past in desired colours to a photo shop program) and adjust size .
i usually do the master onto white paper to check I've got the size right and then use a A 4/5/6 sheet to print on to . Might seem a bit of a faff, but I've found it works.
Hobbycraft do click & collect
Old 24th Feb 2021, 5:03 pm   #10
G4XWDJim
Octode

I made an R1155 dial using inkjet waterslide transfer material on to a Perspex home made dial so that it would illuminate evenly from the rear. Very successful and looked good.

Jim
Old 31st May 2021, 4:22 pm   #11
Station X

A first attempt at using reverse printing on clear tape using a Brother P-Touch 1260. Manoeuvring bits of sticky tape into the correct position isn't easy and I may be able to do a better job. The line was produced by scribing a deep line in the Perspex and filling the resulting groove with black paint.

I plan to scan the final result so that if necessary I can use an alternative method such as a water slide transfer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	235156  

Old 31st May 2021, 4:49 pm   #12

Quote:
Manoeuvring bits of sticky tape into the correct position isn't easy
Just peel of one part of the "crack back" and using a bit of water/detergent mixture as lubricant, slide into place. The other bit of the back can be removed and the whole lot smoothed down. The water mix will evaporate eventually and give a very clear stick down.

Old 2nd Jun 2021, 10:20 pm   #13
Oldcodger
Nonode

Graham -the answer might be to use Hoby craft printable acetate. https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/stix-2-...ck/572870-1000
Using a program like Express PCB will let you print on the reverse side. And then in reverse lettering mode.
Closed Thread