UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2022, 2:56 pm   #21
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad 33 woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
Had problems with my 33 'intermittent switches'. Not for the faint hearted but i dismantled them for a thorough clean up and upon reassembly it was exactly the same!
Never did find the source of the problem but re soldering all joints on the boards cured it.
Switch boards do turn up on the bay from time to time.

Alan
That sounds like a good idea. I have an intermittent problem in my 33 which could well be a dodgy solder joint.

Craig
Just resoldered every joint in the 33, and that cured my intermittent horrid noise, which previously needed the unit to be twisted to cure.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Craig
Old 25th Jan 2022, 3:43 pm   #22
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I always found the 22 and 33 preamps difficult to use because the switching pressure needed necessitated holding the preamp down with the other hand otherwise the unit just slid backwards on the shelf! There are ways around it like a small wooden 'dam' fixed behind, or fitting them into a heavier custom made wooden box/rack which is what I did with my 22 setup.
I agree Steve. I dislike push button switches and slider controls (the latter can be difficult to use with precision because of the way human muscles, fingers, knuckle work).

Ergonomically, they've never really improved on rotary controls - the "twisting" actions of the wrist can be done with relatively fine precision - perfect for human musculature and joints! And, you get even finer control simply by increasing the knobs' diameter
Old 25th Jan 2022, 6:36 pm   #23
alanworland
Heptode

Glad your is sorted Craig - mine went back to Quad a couple of times for this and seemed ok upon it's return but the fault returned after a while! I did a dada upgrade on it (problem persisted) then in desperation went over all the joints - voila!

Alan
Closed Thread