UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2022, 8:06 am   #21
tinkera123
Triode

Default Re: Marconi R1155 history

Hi all,

My Marconi R1155 radio is now alive (no DF circuits) .... sound from several Bands. It still needs a full re-alignment and other adjustments to get it running properly etc ... and maybe then some cosmetics.

It turned out to be a bigger job than I expected ... Varnish splashed on every thing, screws super-tightened and 'aged', lots of crumbly wiring needing replacement, poor previous modification work necessitating the tracing of nearly every wire etc etc ... I can almost see the 'knowing' smile on some of your faces ...

The reason I refurbed this radio was that my Uncle was RAAF flying for the RAF as a Wireless Operator/Gunner and was killed in a Lancaster over Essen in October 1945 on his 4th sortie.

Thanks for your advice. and interest.

Cheers,
Ian
Melbourne, Australia
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 11:26 am   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkera123 View Post
The reason I refurbed this radio was that my Uncle was RAAF flying for the RAF as a Wireless Operator/Gunner and was killed in a Lancaster over Essen in October 1945 on his 4th sortie.
Same as mine, he was a wireless operator/gunner, he got killed on the disastrous Leipzig raid in February 1944.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 12:13 pm   #23
WB6NVH-GEOFF
Tetrode

Surely the above date is an error? The war ended nominally on May 8, 1945
Old 24th Jan 2022, 3:40 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Great work there from Ian and Les, very interesting! Re the photos from Les [at Post10*]. What is the circular item above the Jones plug replacing the switch? It seems to have been the inspiration for the position of the spkr.

I've mentioned, elsewhere the period [about a decade ago or more] when there was a bit of craze to get hold of an 1155 and prices shot up! I advised a chap that his set was worth much more than he was asking. I mentioned that my uncle was in the RAF and died [on Christmas Eve] in 1942 [from a head injury while bomb loading]. To my surprise, he rang me a few weeks later later saying "do you want the set or not?" He wasn't bothered about the money. When I collected it he told me that his uncle was also in the RAF during WW2 and survived so he wanted the radio to go to someone who understood.

Dave
Old 25th Jan 2022, 12:39 am   #25
tinkera123
Triode

Hi Geoff,

RE Post #23 Yes, should have been Oct 1944 ....
Old 30th Jan 2022, 5:24 pm   #26
Julesomega
Nonode

John KCoG has PMed me to say that he is intending to send some more copies of Peter's restoration book to the UK for distribution. I don't know the arrangements yet but if anyone wants a copy please PM John via his Members Page

It's good here
Closed Thread