UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 30th Jan 2017, 9:43 pm   #181
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

The Nonnatus House telephone also seems to be an example.

Wrong ring AND Ask the Midwife!
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2017, 10:15 pm   #182
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yesterday's Endeavour [ITV] covered the period 1962-7 [the present day] . Morse's Record Player seemed very much "in period" [62?] but a short scene, in a public house, included a "pub quiz". I don't recall those in the sixties so perhaps there was a non-technical anomaly for a change? Overall it was Morse meets The Wicker Man but non the worse for it.

Dave W
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:43 pm   #183
Station X

Just watched "Lucan" he calls a London telephone number by dialling only three digits. He'd need to dial at least seven digits.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:11 am   #184
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The firm I worked for in Cheapside in 1954 had the number 'City 1124' so unless STD had been brought in by then the numbers could be considerably longer (or at least the letters could). When we moved down here in 1970 our number was 'Charmouth 556' but on an automatic exchange which we didn't have in Kent.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:17 am   #185
Station X

In a director area such as London you had to dial the director code even for own exchange calls, so numbers always had seven digits.

Old 31st Jan 2017, 3:25 pm   #186
julie_m
Dekatron

You have to dial eight digits in London now -- not that you'd guess, by the way most people space out the numbers.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:42 pm   #187
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
You have to dial eight digits in London now -- not that you'd guess, by the way most people space out the numbers.
You can only skip the "020" if you're calling landline-to-landline. If you're calling from a mobile or from any sort of VoIP-gateway (such as Skype) you need to use the full ii-digit number. To avoid confusion I *always* tell people to use the full number wherever they're calling from, and have done so for the last 15 years or so, even for 'local' calls.

Must admit, I was always intrigued by the 3-letter "named" exchanges [WHItehall, CROydon, MUSeum etc] in London - it added a nice 'period' touch to publications and radio/TV productions in the post-WWII epoch.

Speaking of phone-related anachronisms, until quite recently in many radio programs where someone was supposedly phoning within the UK, the producers continued to include the very short-duration "pip" when the called-party picked up the phone. I forget what this was called but it ceased being used quite a while ago - a fact which TV producers seemed oblivious to.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:47 pm   #188
Station X

That was a blip of 2280Hz from the AC9 signalling system which was only used on long distance circuits with no DC signalling path.

You still hear it today on some modern radio drama productions along with follow on dial tone at the called party when the calling party hangs up. That hasn't been used for years either. You still hear old fashioned 50Hz square wave dial tone too.

Old 31st Jan 2017, 8:47 pm   #189
Junk Box Nick
Octode

They tend (or tended) to go to great lengths to get the correct sound effects on "The Archers". I haven't listened for years but visited the studio in The Mailbox in Brum some years ago. They had a genuine Aga cooker amongst a line of other cookers and numerous household appliances to get the correct sound effect when a pan is placed or a kettle is boiled. Of course there was the inevitable panel with different door knockers, latches and bells, etc.

There was a story line where one of the characters restored a vintage Ferguson tractor - I don't know how genuine any sound effects might have been for that.

Spoiler alert for any listeners:

Any creaking clanging gate effects are actually provided by an old metal folding ironing board.
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:39 pm   #190
AC/HL
Dekatron

That's radio though, not TV or film, sound is naturally more important without visual input.
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2017, 11:46 pm   #191
Andrew2
Nonode

And once again on Back in time for Dinner we get the gramophone with the pickup over the wrong side of the turntable!
Old 5th Feb 2017, 10:57 pm   #192
Herald1360
Dekatron

One of my pet peeves is when the called party in a phone call hangs up on the calling party who then hears dial tone......

It is calling party cleardown!

Try it when someone calls- ask them to hold on, put your phone back on hook, wait a second or two and pick up again- they'll still be there.....
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2017, 12:19 am   #193
McMurdo
Dekatron

Available on iplayer at the moment is an 'Arena' about Desert Island Discs, made in the 80's. It re-enacts Roy Plombley getting the idea for the programme while at home in 1941 listening to his wireless. Except the wireless is a Wartime Utility Set not introduced until 1944.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 6:48 pm   #194
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Just seen the newly released film 'Another Mother's Son' about the war years when he Channel Isles were under German occupation from 1940 - '45. It's a true story about a Jersey woman (Louisa Gould) who sheltered a Russian escaped prisoner (being used as slave labour on the Island), and was betrayed in an anonymous letter by a fellow Jersey Island resident.

She was also reported for possessing a hidden radio, which was confiscated. The radio in question appeared to me to be a Portadyne Princess or a 'Noble' which is virtually identical. I have one of each and as they have the Third Programme on the dial, they're clearly post 1948. Whether there was a pre-war version, I've no idea, so I can't unequivocally say that the radio is an anachronism.

I've attached a pic of my Portadyne 'Princess' alongside my 'Noble' and as will be seen from the scan of the dial, the Third programme is clearly marked. Many will remember similar sets being sold in kit form in the late 50s in PW magazine. Minimalist TRF circuit in which the volume control doubles as the reaction control. They perform remarkably well, but should the volume control need replacement, that poses a problem as its an anti-log track.

Incidentally, sadly, though sentenced to two year's imprisonment, Louisa Gould did not survive the war - she was transported to Ravensbruck POW Camp where tragically, she went to the gas chamber in 1945, just weeks before Germany surrendered. Her Brother, who had also been taken prisoner at the same time, was sent to Bergen Belsen, but survived the war - one of only two Brit POWs in that camp to do so. (The Russian managed to evade capture until the war ended).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisa_Gould

The film takes it's name from the fact that her own son was a soldier who was a prisoner of the German's and she felt she had to look after 'another mother's son'. It held a special interest for me because along with my wife, we visited Jersey in 2015 and spoke to an elderly Jersey historian who knew Louisa Gould personally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess & Noble 'Twins' copy.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	139877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portadynre Princess dial.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	139878  
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2017, 8:30 am   #195
Peter.N.
Dekatron

A few evenings ago there was an aircraft crash investigation programme which was very interesting. On take off a warning lamp had appeared and take off was aborted, on investigation the engineers cleared it to go as it was just a faulty wing surface temperature sensor. On the next take off the plane crashed as it couldn't get enough lift because the flaps weren't down although they were set to be.

The reason was found to be a relay failure, the one that fed the temperature sensor also fed the flap circuit.

The real point of the post though is that while they were fault finding, every now and again they flashed a circuit diagram on the screen and it had valves in it, unless I am mistaken they don't do that any more.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:24 am   #196
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
(The Russian managed to evade capture until the war ended).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisa_Gould
That's an amazing story. The Russian was very lucky, and may have also escaped being sent back to Russia; many were executed for desertion by the soviets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victims_of_Yalta
mark_in_manc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:09 pm   #197
ms660
Dekatron

They pushed a lot of them over the cliffs if they were working below par, stayed with a woman on one of the islands that remembered it, probably more islander collaboration than we know, anyways enough of that.

Nasty business is war.

Lawrence.
ms660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:34 pm   #198
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
...anyways enough of that.

Nasty business is war.

Lawrence.
Indeed can we return to discussing anachronisms please.

Old 27th Mar 2017, 8:38 pm   #199
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Just watched "Lucan" he calls a London telephone number by dialling only three digits. He'd need to dial at least seven digits.
When it comes to phone numbers there's more than just realism to consider - if someone is seen or heard to be dialling a specific valid telephone number there is always a possibility that some lonely or disturbed person will dial it.

There is good cause never to state or show anyone dialling a number which might work from anywhere to somewhere else in the world.

I seem to remember a legend that at one time all telephone numbers seen or quoted in Hollywood films would start with the digits '555...' because no real phone numbers commenced with those digits.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2017, 9:13 pm   #200
The General
Hexode

In the USA & Canada, area code 555 is reserved for directory assistance & is not assigned to actual subscribers. 555-01xx is reserved for fictional use (TV, films, etc).
Mark
The General is offline   Reply With Quote