UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2024, 8:44 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Is it just me?

Lately, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by just a small minority of the various posts on this excellent forum.

Examples are some with a straightforward question that has a simple solution, stretching on to 20, 30, 40 posts or more, basically the pros and cons and a load of waffle thrown in for good measure.
Then there is a simple question that would be straightforward enough to answer IF ONLY a picture of what was being discussed (or wanted) was added, rather than several posts trying to describe it. Often eventually resulting in a picture being added.
The latest of such posts being a type of relay, that despite the id number being supplied, I could not find one Google result to see if I could help. After a few minutes I thought to myself "why bother?!"
Sorry, but although I have a huge amount of various old and new parts here, I am not wasting my time on a wild goose chase

Another situation a while back was a wanted request for an unusual item. I replied I might have such and would take a look when I had time.
I DID eventually find the item, but after informing the request originator of the fact, to this day have never had a reply!
I think I eventually binned it in disgust, as it sat next to my PC keyboard a while and as being such an unusual part it was no use to me.

Then there are the Wanted posts for a common item, such as, say an ECC81. Many are available from various well known internet companies or eBay. Just look!
I just get the impression either people are too lazy to do their own research, or maybe just hoping somebody will subsidise them by taking pity and offering one FOC including postage.

Don't get me wrong, at times there is the occasional member I will help out, sometimes for free.
But, it just seems more and more that this forum is becoming a "go to" rather than people just investing a little of their own time for their own research.
Often, by doing your own research, this can open up new avenues of exploration, and knowledge rather than just expecting to be spoon fed by other forum members using their time to assist in what could be found simply by using google.

My way of dealing with this is to just ignore such requests.
That I realise doesn't help anyone whatsoever, but it is my choice.
Does anyone agree, or am I just an old "grumpy"?
Rob
Old 11th Feb 2024, 8:50 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Is it just me?

We have always had a wide range of members with hugely variable levels of expertise and experience. Although they can be a pain for the moderators, they are all welcome so long as they behave themselves. Nobody has to respond, and we all have to start somewhere.
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:00 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Ok Paul, I think I just have to sort the wheat from what seems to be the ever increaing chaff.
A lot could be due to people expecting instant results from the Internet these days.
I suppose my being 70+ doesnt help, as decades ago research could often be hard work and often time consuming.

Rob
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:09 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Just ignore posts that you're unhappy with. The internet has no shortage of clueless idiots.

(68)
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:12 pm   #5
Station X

Tell me about it Rob!

A few things which annoy me:-

The long standing members who never learn anything and just keep asking the same old questions. They often have hundreds of posts to their credit.

The "No show". Member asks for advice and their request gets several replies. Often members will do research before replying and perhaps post extracts from circuit diagrams, pictures and links to suitable components. However the OP never responds with so much as a thank you. Recently a Retired Dormant Member asked for his forum membership to be reinstated. I checked his posting history and found he'd started half a dozen "No show" threads.

Then of course "I bought this radio off eBay, It worked but the sound was distorted so I changed all the capacitors. Now it doesn't work at all. Help".

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:41 pm   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'm a little more lenient on the 'wanted' posts, CambridgeWorks. As I do sometimes post such requests myself, simply because I prefer to give some dosh to a member and keep things in the circular economy of enthusiasts (many of whom recently seem to be trying to get rid of their stocks) rather than go straight to an eBay seller of unknown reputation, or new production of poor quality.

Of course one gets people who expect something for nothing, with zero information given, or who fail to follow the instructions that other members have spent time and effort explaining to them. For your own sanity just ignore them. I know it's sometimes hard to remember that at the end of every message is a human at a keyboard, but compared with other forums I frequent this one's moderation ensures there are very limited numbers of truly braindead comments coupled with zero punctuation that really try my goodwill.

I guess you're here to enjoy yourself and feel useful, or pleased at someone else's help. If those things aren't happening, a deep breath and do something else to regain equilibrium.

I'm constantly astonished at the levels of knowledge and willingness to help out that happens here. I'm definitely at the amateur end of the spectrum in asking questions, but have completed some knotty repairs with suitable hand-holding, which is down to the patience of other members. I have made sure to follow up and make them aware of my gratitude, as I agree - threads that peter out or have a final 'I'll post results later today' from five years back are a little depressing.
Old 11th Feb 2024, 10:33 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

I've only had one incident where i was ghosted. Offered a part to a participator (cost of postage only) who then refocused their interest elsewhere and ignored my replies. Not offended (life's too short) just mildly perplexed. I got the distinct impression that this guy was simply in the habit of doing 15 things at once (with all the cock-ups that this entails)

Dave
Old 11th Feb 2024, 10:45 pm   #8
ex seismic
Heptode

Not particularly this forum but others I follow suffer from posters who cannot be bothered to do some simple googling but seem to expect others to do it for them. Similarly those who cannot be bothered to download freely available user manuals but instead ask really basic questions about the bit of kit in question.
So in reply to Cambridgeworks, no it is not just you.

Gordon
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:24 pm   #9
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

I would say that the issues described aren't just fixed to this forum, but have been issues over many decades outside forums in the throws of everyday life.
Many times I have been asked by friends or friends of friends, 'my so and so has this problem, you can fix it, it will only be an capacitor'.... sometimes followed by ' tell me which one to replace and I will fix it'.
I try to explain that it doesn't work like that, but usually falls on deaf ears.
Or you get asked to help fix a car at the weekend, so I gather together all my tools, a few spares and bits, turn up at the weekend only to be told that they got someone else to fix it earlier in the week, but didn't think they should have told me.
I've also retrieved a special part for a neighbour, only to never hear from them again.
So, it happens in forums and outside and not just vintage electronics.

Asking for a valve in the wanted section is what the wanted section is for.
As has been mentioned on this forum several times, there are many here that have spares that they are perfectly willing to offer to others in the hope they will get used.
I've stuff cluttering up my cupboards that I thought I would use but now realise I will never use.

There have been threads where the OP has asked a simple question and relieved a reply to which they have thanked the responder. But they shouldn't then have to keep checking the thread for all the many other replies to thank them also.
I've seen many a thread where the OP can lose sight of what is going on because too many replies are given. Most noticeable on threads where a online repair is being attempted.
Quite often the OP will skip reading most of the posts and not learn anything as they are pulling in different directions by other posts. Sometimes it is because they are expecting a single post in which they are told change component X and all will be fine.... which it won't...

I must admit though that I have asked questions that after thinking a little more I then feel a plonker for asking in the first place.

Such is life.

Maybe we should all smile more.

Oh and one more thing... sometimes we forget.... we are human after all.
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:33 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

I do find it rather rude when a simple “ thank you” is not given.
John
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:47 pm   #11
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambridgeWorks View Post
...Then there is a simple question that would be straightforward enough to answer IF ONLY a picture of what was being discussed (or wanted) was added, rather than several posts trying to describe it
That's slightly frustrating, I'd like to have some idea of the nature of the model being discussed, like age, technology etc, but this is as nothing compared to those .io groups for specific makes, where typical posts are "anyone got any info on the 87555?", at its worst in the R&S group, "has anyone got a spare knob for the ZQG" or whatever

It's good here
Old 12th Feb 2024, 5:03 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Imagine the ruffled feathers if you replied in kind:

Question:
"Do you have a knob for the R&S ZQG?"
Answer:
"I've got one from a Linn Ekspensiv preamp. Will that fit?"

It's so, so, tempting. But you have to make helpful replies, and with a lack of basic information there's not much you can do - either jump in the deep end for lots of very basic questions already answered in stickies all over the forum, or you decide not to bother.

It all seems related to the trend of looking for instant gratification and zero effort. These have been steadily growing for decades. Not acknowledging help is simply bad manners. It's nice to know if suggested fixes worked and improves future suggestions for others.

I tend to call the one-question-and-no-further-contact ones 'Los Disperados' and the tiny detail beginner question ones with no signs of learning or doing any research for themselves are 'The Zombie Apocalypse'. It's hard to help someone who isn't even trying, to have to try to create their enthusiasm for them. It's draining.

David
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:51 am   #13
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yes, many are simply not able or willing to do a Google search.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 10:12 am   #14
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
John
I agree, but I've never been quite sure when I should, for example if I ask a question and I get a answer back quickly and express my thanks, the chances are I might get another 10 or more useful replies over the following hours or days, do I thank all individually or should I wait and give a general 'thank you' to all?

John
Old 12th Feb 2024, 10:19 am   #15
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
John
Fully agree there.

Regards,
Symon
Old 12th Feb 2024, 10:55 am   #16
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
I've never been quite sure when I should, for example if I ask a question and I get a answer back quickly and express my thanks, the chances are I might get another 10 or more useful replies over the following hours or days, do I thank all individually or should I wait and give a general 'thank you' to all?
If someone replies quickly, then a Thank You would seem appropriate... if there are a few replies, then a single post Thank You to (name), (name), and (name)... with comments as appropriate; if there are lots, then a Thank You to all, would be good, IMO.

What do others think?
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:21 am   #17
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
... But you have to make helpful replies ...
You certainly do David, but perhaps not everyone does.

A friend of mine and fellow forum member tells a funny story about his first request here. I should say it absolutely isn't typical, but it did make me smile. I'm being vague about the details because although it happened a long time ago I still wouldn't want the incident or the friend to be identified.

My friend, who has expertise in the area in question, had a piece of equipment with a failed part. The part was rare, and specific to the piece of kit and he quickly realised that UKVRRR was the only place he was likely to find anyone who might have one. So he put a request in the Parts Wanted sub-forum. He got three replies.

The first respondent upbraided him, saying "You're wrong about that. Those symptoms are almost always caused by this instead. Stop worrying that that has failed and concentrate on this. It's an easy fix." Of course my friend had already eliminated 'this' as a possible cause. He'd checked that and it was bust. He needed a replacement 'that'.

The second respondent said "You'll never find that. They're absolutely unique and have been out of production for decades. Every one that still exists is installed in the relevant piece of equipment. Never mind. I have worked out a bodge which will get you out of trouble. It's ugly and a bit unreliable and does involve cutting the original item about somewhat. But it's your only hope because there are literally no spares of the part you want on the planet." My friend was reluctant to cut his piece of kit about.

The third respondent said "I have the same piece of kit as you and I also have two spares of the component you need - one unused one and one I picked up from a chap who was breaking his item for spares. This part doesn't fail often but, as you've found, it does occasionally. So I can't let you have either of my spares because although my kit's currently working fine I might one day need them.".

Three replies, all completely unhelpful in amusingly different ways .

I do have to voice one note of caution relating to the original post. We can sometimes tend (and I can be guilty of this too) to see a request for help and to think we know the answer. So we post it and we regard the case as closed. He's had a problem and we've told him what to do about it and that's that. Any debate can now stop. I need to remind myself once in a while that my answer is not necessarily the answer. It's just an answer. There might be better or more appropriate ones out there and I need to hang onto my humility.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:45 am   #18
G6ONEDave
Octode

A lot of heartfelt comments in this thread, or perhaps I'm just another grumpy old g**!

I dare say that I've not always given thanks to responders of my threads and I apologise for that.

I find it annoying when an OP is replied to and the OP seems to just ignore the response received. Just as annoying is when an OP is requested to supply more info on their thread but only do so after repeated requests. OP's have to remember that it is them that have the item in front of them, while the rest of the forum members don't!

Another annoyance is when an OP clearly does not understand the answers given but won't admit to it, this is easily noticed when a following question is asked, that was answered in previous posts. If the OP does not understand an answer then they should just say so, we can't all know everything.

Also when the OP thanks the wrong forum member for providing parts, info or where to get the item from. Thats just an insult in my opinion.

These are some of the reasons why I am no longer adding to a certain thread that I've been trying to assist on, as it feels like I'm wasting my time.

Dave
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:47 am   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

The one that gets me is the "I'm looking for a knob for a XYZ set", with no photo attached. So, if you want to help the person, YOU have to start googling to find a photo of the set and knob in question. Please make it easy for people to help you by giving full details, irrelevant details not needed, and where applicable, a photo.

And then there's the ones who ask for help with a fault, and days later they've not even begun to take the set apart but keep asking questions as though a fix may be, I dunno, something like turn it on again whilst holding this button down. This, when people have given some very good ideas on what to do.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:50 am   #20
David Simpson
Nonode

Rob, your initial thread post is oh so true. Also many times I've politely suggested that folk check through the Forum's "Search" facilities. Heaps of info there. Then there is heffing "CT160's" - - repetitive silly questions such as " how does one adjust the floggle-toggle to calibrate the whatsit". Yis ken fit I mean.

Regards, David
Closed Thread