UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2006, 11:15 pm   #1
SWB 18
Pentode

Default Ferguson 606T "Golden Glide" 405 line TV.

Hi,

I have recently embarked on the restoration of my Ferguson 606T, which my parents bought new.

With all the moulded (and leaking) caps replaced I have a good picture, but have spotted a few bits that are missing or will need replacing.
I wonder if anyone here might be able to help with the missing bits and some information, please?

So whats missing?
The LOP stage screening cover (may well be the same as the later 800 and 850 sets) and possibly some badge(s) - see below........

With the chassis out of the case, it appears that it may of originally had a badge on the RHS speaker grill, below the speaker - I can see two small holes - spacing 1.5" - through the grille and the cabinet is internally drilled to line up with these small holes. Can anyone confirm that a badge was fitted here and if it was a 'Ferguson' badge, please?

On the top LHS front of the top of the case there are three small holes that appear to have plastic pins in them. Was this for another badge? If so, can anyone remember what it was, please?
I have now removed the top of the case (to attend to the crazed varnish and slight loss of veneer on the rear edge) and can see that the three holes are not drilled all the way throught the case.

What needs replacing?
The mains dropper resistor. It is a flat section type with section values of 60 + 42 + 97 + 35 + 25 ohms.

Also, can anyone explain why the chassis label refers to the set as being model 606T, while the back is marked as being model 4606 - to which I can find no reference in my manuals. Was it just a mistake when the backs were made?

Any info. would be much appreciated.

Regards,

SWB 18.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	3846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab top.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	3847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	3848  
Old 20th May 2006, 8:40 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 606T "Golden Glide" 405 line TV.

Hello ?,
Reading your thread forced me to unearth my FERGUSON 606T. I have attempted to take a reasonable picture of the front and as you can see there are no odd holes around the speaker grills. The badge is in place and is an updated version of the 'signed' version used up to the 500 series. They are a very smart set but did not sell in anything like the quantities of the previous 506T. They are very reliable and give a super picture.
Regarding the puzzle of the figure 4 before the model number. Mine also has this and I have come across it on many Ferguson sets in the past. I can only offer a guess I'm afraid. They may have been produced in a Thorn factory other than ENFIELD. Not much help but its all I can offer! Regards John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	3849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	3850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	3851  
Old 11th Jun 2006, 7:40 pm   #3
SWB 18
Pentode

Hi,

Following on from my recent chassis work on the '606T' I have now tackled the case.

The original finish took much effort to remove, but did eventually all come off. The holes on the top turned out to be one hole and two dimples. The hole did contain plastic of some sort which the paint stripper attacked very effectively, compared to the original varnish! The hole was filled prior to re-finishing.

I have now re-finished the top of the case, and attach a picture. The finish blends in well with the original on the sides of the case. So far it has only had a light burnish, so the gloss will improve further.

Once the top is re-united with the rest of the case, I will burnish and wax the whole case.

I'm still on the look out for the correct dropper and screening can. I have been told that the screening can may well be the same as the later Thorn 850 chassis.

Regards,

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Top - After Restoration small file.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	4148  
Old 12th Jun 2006, 5:08 pm   #4
gdTV
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Phil,

OK, here you go. I've created a rough drawing of it, but it is to scale as it was originated from drawing around the original. So any missing dimensions you should be able to work out. Having looked at my 850 I'm not 100% convinced they are identical, but armed with this I think you can tweak the dimensions a little to suit if required. The dotted lines are folds. I'd make a cardboard one and give it a go! You will need to find something like that clip it has fitted on one end - maybe a car trim dealer could help.

Good news about the linearity sleeve, I thought you may have it as there was that clean patch! However, an engineer (loose term!), who I started my TV career with back in the 70's, did like to remove them to get some more width out of struggling sets - even if the linearity was left looking hideous. Most punters were just happy it was a relatively cheap 'repair' to fill the screen again

HTH,
Graham.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	850_lopt_can.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	4152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	4153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	4154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitted.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	4155  
Old 21st Jul 2006, 10:30 pm   #5
SWB 18
Pentode

Just to round off this thread, here are some pictures of the set reassembled and working again.

I put on a small radio and tv display as part of a local event recently and it was on for 2 x 5 hour stints in quite warm conditions. This seemed to do the CRT some good as the emission just got better and better.

The search continues for a good dropper and an original LOP screen........

Regards,

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Working Again small.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	4629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re assembled small.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	4630  
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 11:52 am   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

I think that the four digit model number system was not introduced by Thorn until their first 625 convertible TV chassis was produced - the Thorn 800 series, which was fitted to a variety of ferguson, HMV, Marconiphoe, Ultra and Philco branded sets. The first digit refelcted the brand: 2 - HMV, 3 - Ferguson, 4 - Marconiphone and 6 - Ultra. This later expanded to include 8 - Baird and 5 - DER, etc.

There was a "Phase 2" 625 convertible version of the 700 series chassis (e.g. 705T) but this was the last to use the traditional Ferguson model numbering system.

It's a complete mystery to me why there is a 4 in front of the 606 on Phil's set! It might be an export set number (405 lines was used in Eire and possibly Hong Kong) or perhaps it was a special version supplied to a retail chain, like J & M Stone (later known as Civic)?

That's a very nice restoration Phil!

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Closed Thread