UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2007, 12:22 pm   #1
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Default TrueVue A33 Portable - assistance requested

Good morning!

Oh the joy of a new set on the bench! I have just acquired this little receiver which I hope might go some way to curing my current obsession with Pye equipment.

Does anyone please know anything about these? I can only find a brief reference on Jon Evans' website and nothing else. The design is obviously economical, using 13 valves and a GEC 6505A 9" round CRT (aluminised, but no ion trap) plus 2 metal rectifiers. EHT is derived from the lopt, there is no boost diode and the line output valve is a KT36. The set appears to be a TRF, but I haven't delved very deeply into it yet.

Anybody know anything? I have (I hope) attached some photos.

Regards to all,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	As received.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	10103   Click image for larger version

Name:	The insides 1.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	10104   Click image for larger version

Name:	The insides 2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	10105  
Old 3rd Jun 2007, 5:29 pm   #2
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: TrueVue A33 Portable - assistance requested

OK! OK! . I should've searched the Forum first!

I've now found last year's thread, but I'm no better off. I'd still appreciate it very much if anyone has any info at all.

Dave
Old 4th Jun 2007, 11:42 pm   #3
Zelandeth
Heptode

What a lovely little set! Never seen one of them before.

It looks really rather "compact" which no doubt will make it an absolute pain to work on. ...and for goodness sake, don't drop that rose tinted glass panel!

Afraid I don't know anything about this one, but I'll certainly be watching this thread with great interest.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 8:26 am   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Any chance of a photo for the website ?

Also, are there any dates printed on the various electrolytics ?

I see there is at least one Mullard valve but are they mostly GEC valves ?

TTFN,
Jon
Old 5th Jun 2007, 9:34 pm   #5
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
It looks really rather "compact" which no doubt will make it an absolute pain to work on. ...and for goodness sake, don't drop that rose tinted glass panel!
Zelandeth: It is quite small, the chassis measures 14.5 x 9.5 inches. However there is quite a bit of working space underneath (see photo). The rose tinted panel is happily, plastic, probably why it has survived so long, also there is a slide-in cover for the face, not shown in pics.

Jon: You can have some photos with pleasure, perhaps you can advise the best way to send them to you. I note the smallish file size available for Forum pics. I'll do some good ones at the weekend, with background free from work bench clutter!

The only electrolytic with a date, so far as I can see is an 8mf in the line timebase. This carries the date of Oct 50. The main thing exercising my mind at present is the fact that the heater voltages add up to 125.9v, but there is no dropper resistor! Also there are two metal rectifiers, connected in parallel, but only one is apparent in the photos in last year's thread, together with a pair of hefty droppers.

The valve line-up consists of 6 x Z77, 1 x D77, 3 x N37, 1 x 12AU7 and a KT36. All are GEC except the single EF91 (presumably a replacement) and the 12AU7 (Brimar).

Regards,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Underneath.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	10151  
Old 5th Jun 2007, 10:25 pm   #6
Danny
Heptode

Hi
Yes, I have one of these sets, and yes, no dropper in there.
It has the dreaded resistance mains lead, like some old radios.
Mine hasn't got its lead, it's been cut off, but I read about it in a Practical Television mag in the "Problems Solved" bit.
Danny

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 19th Apr 2008 at 4:50 pm. Reason: Readability
Old 6th Jun 2007, 8:59 pm   #7
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Spot on Danny!
I've never seen a line cord on a TV before, but there it is - the set has its original lead - the fact that it's nine feet long might have eventually given me a clue!

It'll have to go though; I've asked PWH if he still has any of the braided cable he had made up. This should make a realistic replacement. I think I might incorporate a silicon diode in the heater chain as was done in the 60s and achieve the voltage reduction that way. Can you think of any reason why that would not work?

Regards,

Dave
Old 6th Jun 2007, 9:08 pm   #8
jay_oldstuff
Octode

I've never done it on a tv before, though I have done it many times on radios without problems, and can't see any reason why it would not work on a tv, but then again I am not an expert.

Just remember a tv pulls more current than a radio, so make sure the diode is suitably rated: you may also need a small dropper to make everything add up.

What about a capacitive dropper? That should work and there's a calculator for that round here somewhere.

Jay

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 19th Apr 2008 at 4:53 pm. Reason: S&P
Old 6th Jun 2007, 9:21 pm   #9
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_oldstuff View Post
what about a capasative dropper, that should work
Jay
Thanks Jay, good thought, and the power factor would mean the watts wouldn't show up on the meter!

Regards,

Dave
Old 6th Jun 2007, 11:00 pm   #10
Danny
Heptode

When I get around to my set, I intend to use a dropper fitted inside.
Before you start, check the crt gettering, as these tubes tend to be soft.
My set has had a different tube fitted!

Danny
Closed Thread