UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2020, 9:49 am   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Bardwell guitar amp

Hi all

I have one of those Bardwells amp boards and a 12" 8ohm speaker. I was simply going to use the speaker connected to a guitar amp and build a box to house the speaker, but I was wondering if I could use the amp board to make a combo.

What I want to ask is, can I safely connect one speaker to what is, I believe, a stereo amp?

Second question is what sort of power supply would be best?

Martjn
Old 27th Sep 2020, 11:48 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Bardwell guitar amp

Is this the amplifier, there have been a few threads about it: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=27
Old 27th Sep 2020, 12:55 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you are only going to use one speaker then you must connect a "dummy load" (a resistor) to the unused channell. Even so, you may be dissappointed with the sound.
This little amp will have great difficulty handling the transients of a guitar.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 3:03 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks chaps. Resistor between o e speaker out and common ground?

My original idea was to make a simple speaker cab to use with a small guitar amp head I have, but that is way too high gain and will be sold soon. It has no clean setting at all! It seems to start at 11!

I will lash up the speaker and amp and see how it sounds. I have no big expectations, but recall that I did manage for a few years in my teens using a Sony midi system.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 5:28 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As you're using an 8 Ohm speaker, you'd need an 8 Ohm resistor across the unused channel output and ground. As that's not a preferred value, I guess 2 x 15 Ohm in parallel (7.5 Ohms) would suffice. If you use a couple of 5 Watt ceramic ones they would handle 10 Watts between them, so that would easily cope with the output of the unused channel.

EG, order code 924-815 at this link:

https://www.esr.co.uk/components/pro...-resistors.htm

Amazing little amps - virtually indestructible.

Bardwells had boxes full of them in their cellar that never shifted for twenty years till word got out.

This is what they sound like, or should do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gZXleVOTIs

Hope that helps.
Old 27th Sep 2020, 6:36 pm   #6
buggies
Heptode

Genuine question - if the OP puts a short across the input of the unused channel, is a resistor still necessary?
Old 27th Sep 2020, 7:00 pm   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks David. We used to play Klaus Wunderlich when I was the Saturday lad at Romers HiFi!

I think I may need to order a few bits for the amp such as new caps perhaps and, given the feedback so far, am also wondering whether to make a box and treat it as a stereo amp instead. I need neither a hifi amp nor a guitar amp as such, but I fancy an easy project with a useful outcome.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 9:25 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Why not - it makes so much more sense. Ideally a pair of 8" full-range, 8 ohm, 5 Watt speakers. The sound would be fuller and more widely spread.