UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2007, 2:38 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Sony KV1800UB Info needed

The rot has well and truly set in now . I picked up my first Colour TV earlier today. It is a Sony KV1800UB from 1973. It even came with its Guarantee Card! The Set is a local one - it was sold in Hinckley and hasn't left the town. I bought if from the couple who originally purchased it after they got married. I was told it was retired working fine about 5 years ago when they decided to become a bit more up to date. Since then the set has been kept inside, and only made it into the garage about a month ago.

Does anyone have the Service Information available, and if they do can I get a copy?

If it helps, the five controls on the front are: Rotary Tuner, On/Off/Volume, Picture, Colour, and Hue. On the back there are: 'BRT' (Brightness?), 'VER' (Height?), V. Size, V. Lin, H. Freq, H. Size, B. BKG, G. BKG, R. BKG, SCRN. The CRT is a 470BEB22 (I think!), diagonal size 440mm accross the mask.

What pointers can people give - it is my first foray inside a TV. I have had a quick look over and I can't see any bulging electrolytics or cooked resisitors. I have my AVO, isolating transformer, and out-of-focus 'Scope available for testing and repair. It is a bit dusty so I will give it a careful hoover out and that will give me a chance to have a closer look.

Thanks,

Sam

PS, I'm on TV!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KV188UB_1.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	8417   Click image for larger version

Name:	KV1800UB_2.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	8418   Click image for larger version

Name:	KV1800UB_3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	8419  

Last edited by Sam; 25th Feb 2007 at 2:39 pm. Reason: Added the PS ;)
Old 25th Feb 2007, 2:48 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony KV1800UB Info needed

If the garage was dry and you can't see anything obviously wrong, then switch on and see what it does! If it worked 5 years ago and has spent a month in a dry garage then it'll probably run.

It might be worth putting it by the fire for a bit to warm it up first.
I'll look for a manual.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 25th Feb 2007, 2:56 pm   #3
Sam
Hexode

Other that the badly chafed mains lead (neutral sheath rubbed through) I couldn't see anything that looked dodgy. I will leave it by the radiator and try it out later!

Living alone has its advantages - I can get things into the house with no problems. Sarah just sighs and rolls her eyes when she visits and spots something new, though!

The rot means I am just branching out further into old stuff. Ah well, it keeps me busy.

Sam
Old 25th Feb 2007, 6:43 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

You are lucky, this is not one of the sets which uses the dreaded GCS (Gate controlled switch) in its psu - the 1810 and 1820 do. Those devices were notoriously unreliable, always expensive, and probably unobtainable now. But the 1800 uses a more conventional psu so you are probably OK.

Dave
Old 25th Feb 2007, 7:35 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

OK, changed the mains lead and tried it out. Nice degaussing thump but no picture or sound. Grr. I thought I could see the CRT heater glowing, but now I'm not so sure.

There is a little red thingy that projects through a hole in the back cover which can be pushed in.

Looks like I may need that Manual if you can find it, Steve.

Sam
Old 25th Feb 2007, 8:55 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

I have found your set in Newnes 74/75. Like all Sony stuff, its over complicated and small circuit diagrams. Send me your E-Mail address by PM and I'll blow it up and send it to you. It's easier than mucking about blowing it up and then making it fit on here.

Anyway - there are two fuses in this set, the one before the On/Off switch is probably OK, but the one after it may have gone. This is a 2A fuse, circuit no CB901 (I think. I'm 40 now and my eyes aren't so good!).

This goes to 4 diodes (bridge rectifier) and then to various parts of the set. Also as AC through a transformer to... somewhere else in the set.

Get several fuses if you decide to change it. One is never enough!

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 26th Feb 2007, 2:37 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
These were great sets - not a GCS in sight!
One part that did give a lot of trouble is the 110v decoupling capacitor in the start-up feed giving a dead set symptom.
*searches for manual*
Right - looks like C531 (10uF'160v) - it's on the D board - the one with the frame hold control sticking out. The capacitor is usually purplish and crusty.
Good luck!
Glyn
Old 26th Feb 2007, 10:51 pm   #8
Sam
Hexode

OK, I have had a brief look inside this evening. It was only brief as I was late back from work and eating took priority!

The fuse before the switch is OK, I couldn't see the others though. The heater is intact (yay!), and I don't want to take the base connector of the CRT again. It felt very flimsy.

Glyn, are the boards marked up with the letters in any way? I worked out where 'D' was on the circuit diagram (because of the big 'D'), but couldn't see a similar marking on a PCB. A hint like 'top-left' or similar would be helpful too. I often can't see the obvious markings for looking!

Thanks,

Sam
Old 26th Feb 2007, 11:00 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

The power supply board is marked on the diagram with a 'P'. Follow from the On/Off switch and it should (according to the circuit) be the first board you come to.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 27th Feb 2007, 3:56 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi Sam,
Rather confusingly C531 isn't on the power board - it's on the board at the bottom right. It's towards the back of the PCB, but as it's a biggish electrolytic it's not to difficult to spot. right beside the line driver transformer.

Obviously this presupposes the 110v supply is OK - if not attack the power supply! That's the one with (oddly) the red, green and blue background controls on it and is board P as Steve says. It's a fairly straightforward design (for Sony!) and suffers from electrolytic problems - check those rated at 160v - there are a few (C606,611,614,616) - they tend to make themselves known, and it's worth changing them for reliability in the future.

Good luck!
Glyn
Old 18th May 2007, 3:36 pm   #11
Sam
Hexode

Well, it is working now! I replaced the caps suggested.

I think a few more adjustments are in order as there is some colour fringing to bright objects against a dark background or lettering in captions. I think the b&w picture doesn'y have a coloured tint. I have attached a few pictures. Any thoughts on these?

Some of the controls are a bit scratchy, so a bit of Switch Cleaner will be in order.

The diminishing square when it gets turned off is quite neat!

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Pic_01.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	9780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Pic_02.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	9781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Pic_03.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	9782  
Old 19th May 2007, 10:19 pm   #12
Studio263
Octode

The capacitor mentioned (10uF 160V) was a constant source of aggro with these sets, we did well out of that because we were one of the few TV shops in the area without the obligotory "No Sony, Grundig or Bang & Olufsen" sign on the counter.

The KV1800UB was covered in a "Television" magazine article of the mid '80's, this would be an excellent introduction to the set if someone can find that isue and do you a copy. The magazine cover had a picture of the Sony chassis on the cover, I remember thinking it looked really modern until I saw the set!

The tube in your set is unique to that model, don't break it! It's the only Trinitron tube I know of with a thick neck and the only one of 18" or bigger that has a 90 degree deflection angle. The ones in the 1810 and 1820 were 118 degrees, a record for the period?
Old 20th May 2007, 6:38 am   #13
dsergeant
Octode

It is in the January 1987 issue, found instantly with my Television index program (http://www.davesergeant.com/dstv.htm). I have the issue, but will take me a while to scan it (5 pages plus the cover photo).

Dave
Old 20th May 2007, 9:42 pm   #14
Sam
Hexode

A Scan of the article really would be appreciated. I want to try and get it set up properly, but a combination of Colourblindness and inexperiance may mean this takes a while!

Is it really possible to set a TV up properly using broacast TV signals, or do I need to use a Crosshatch Generator/Colour Bars/Test Card F/something else?

Sam

Last edited by Sam; 20th May 2007 at 9:43 pm. Reason: Can't type without hitting two keys at once.
Old 20th May 2007, 9:49 pm   #15
Steve_P
Dekatron

A test card is better, but broadcast will do. But, judging by the comments about the BBC on here recently, I'd go for the test card. For Convergence, a Crosshatch is best.

I'm not sure from those pictures exactly where the problem is. I'd tend to say tube, but there are things we can do and those Little Colour Sony's seem to be struck with Resistor and Capacitor problems, so check round the tube base.

What does it look like in Black & White, and each colour in turn.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 21st May 2007, 8:47 am   #16
Studio263
Octode

Wow, TV magazine waited until 1987 to cover it! Fancy waiting until the sets were 14 years old, that wouldn't be much use now would it, it's about 3 times longer than the current generation of models last! It just goes to show how things change. Perhaps they were just getting their courage up?

Looking at the screen shots it looks as if the red emission is a little weak. There is probably not a lot you can do about this beyond the range of the service adjustments inside though this may help a lot. Trinitron tubes do not boost up well, it's best not attempted. The old Sony tubes I have had tended to have gone a bit "non-linear" in their characteristic so it was not possible to get the grey scale to track properly across the full brightness range. Because of this a "comprimise" setting was needed for average picture content. You do that the "hue" control to help a bit with this though.
Old 23rd May 2007, 3:45 pm   #17
dsergeant
Octode

I have now scanned the article from Television January 1987 and uploaded it (temporarily) to my website - http://www.davesergeant.com/pics/kv1800.zip

The article consists of 5 pdf files (one for each sheet) in a single zip file. Not worked out how to produce multi-sheet pdfs with my software...

Sorry for the delay.

Dave
Old 23rd May 2007, 5:13 pm   #18
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I put the sheets together using Adobe Acrobat 4. The full package, not the free reader. Just dragged them into the document in turn.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kv1800.pdf (1.34 MB, 253 views)
Old 25th May 2007, 8:18 pm   #19
Sam
Hexode

Thanks for scanning that article Dave. I have now downloaded it. When I have a free weekend I will sit down and methodically work through the set.

There are a few things I can tell need looking at - the picture size changes as you adjust the brightness and colour controlls, so the EHT regulation isn't all there!

Sam
Closed Thread