UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2006, 6:55 pm   #1
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Late 50s Defiant - what model is it?

Hello I'm new to all this and unfortunately technically a
I have been collecting since 1982 but TVs for less than six months. This seems my new interest as I find they give me pleasure ..need to get out more, I know
I have already got a Bush TV12, 22 and 62, Ekco console TC185, Pye console D18T and a Defiant , which I believe is late 50s or 60, as a few caps had "60" in them.

I got this set from BVWS garden party and is working but not properly.

Have changed all caps which is about my limit .. but there is a sound distortion problem which I don't think is coming from the audio stage, but what do I know?
Anyway, I want to find out what model no the set is so I can get a diagram to help with the repairs as it came with no back, unfortunately. Maybe someone can reognise it , if I can get some pictures on here.
Will do so soon as files are too big and my computer won't reduce thanks.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	def red1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	4751   Click image for larger version

Name:	def red 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	4752  

Last edited by chipp1968; 31st Jul 2006 at 7:07 pm.
Old 31st Jul 2006, 7:30 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Late 50s Defiant< WHAT MODEL IS IT? >

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968
files are too big and my computer wont reduce
Hello!. See this thread re. the free MS XP Image resizer tool: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=image+resizer
Nick.
Old 31st Jul 2006, 8:51 pm   #3
BRC3000
Retired Dormant Member

Your set uses a chassis made by Plessey Electronics, this generic chassis was used in numerous other sets around 1956 / 57. I have a couple of scrap ones if you need any spares, I can proably find a schematic if you get stuck.
Old 31st Jul 2006, 9:39 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Dave
Thanks, I was told it was a Plessey chassis do you think its that early, as a lot of caps seemed to be 1960 including the multiple electrolytic can?

Must admit it looks the earlier date, which is what I originally thought. What other makes of set used this chassis; do you know?
Do you know the model no?

Thanks for offer of scrap parts, might come in handy.

What I really need at mo is the service diagram, as there is a local traditional reparer who may look at it for me if he had the circuit.
Wish I knew more about the electronics side, really need to be shown; can't do it from books.

Paul
Closed Thread