UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2007, 4:41 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Baird Townsman restoration

I've just started a full cabinet-and-works restoration of a Baird Townsman.

You can follow the saga, as it unfolds, HERE

Steve

Old 9th Jul 2007, 3:58 pm   #2
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Baird Townsman restoration

Well it's finished now. There are five pages - I've now interlinked all of them for convenience.

The saga starts HERE and ends HERE.

Steve
Old 9th Jul 2007, 4:26 pm   #3
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Brilliant story, a real craftsman!
Old 9th Jul 2007, 4:34 pm   #4
magnastat
Retired Dormant Member

Brilliant, as usual.

I'd really love it if you could make the pix clickable.

Reading your tv restos makes me want to have a go. (I've done loads of radios, but never a tv)

I'd love to do just one; to watch Edgar Wallaces' on.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 4:53 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Literally a "work of art" Steve. Can I ask, if you had not had the U80 rectifier [or even a failed LOPT] would there have been a way forward still or would that that have compromised the "original look far too much? Just curious. Dave
Old 9th Jul 2007, 5:26 pm   #6
Panrock
Nonode

Dave, my guiding principle is to retain originality as much as possible subject only to two higher values: safety and reliability. Thus (to take two examples), I've earthed the housing of the mains switch and I've blacked the dropper. Neither were original. But both help me sleep easier at night.

The U801 seems to me a rather unfortunate choice (differing opinions welcomed!) with its high voltage, fragile heater and presumed propensity to shorts. I've already sourced a spare new one through Phil Taylor 'just in case'. However the existing one in there is working well at present.

I guess, if the U801 wasn't available at all, my first instinct would be to try to find a similar-looking valve rectifier that could be adapted to work by jiggling with the dropper chains.

As for the LOPT, I try never to get into a situation where I even start on a set with a bad LOPT, unless I already have a replacement to hand.

Hope this answers your questions.

Steve
Old 9th Jul 2007, 5:56 pm   #7
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hello Steve.

What a fantastic example of a really thorough restoration. Well done. How long did it take you from start to finish? Were you "on it" full time?

All the best and congrats,
Old 9th Jul 2007, 6:23 pm   #8
Panrock
Nonode

It took just over 5 weeks (I had hoped to do it in 4 !). During this time it was my main work activity though of course I had to attend to all the usual household tasks and other non-radio business activities as well.

S
Old 9th Jul 2007, 7:37 pm   #9
evingar
Octode

Brilliant job

I envy you working full time on it though - must be great
The trouble with doing things piecemeal is it's easy for bits and bobs to get "dissipated" especially if the "workshop" is used for other things (like a household utility room !).
Old 10th Jul 2007, 8:29 pm   #10
FRANK.C
Heptode

Steve
What a beautifully restored TV and a very informative write up.
Been new to TV its just what I love to read.

In Awe
Frank
Old 13th Jul 2007, 4:48 pm   #11
Panrock
Nonode

Many thanks to all for such kind words - they are much appreciated even if not really deserved.

As a postscript, the set is now being soak tested until it goes down to Surrey to its new owner on Monday. I'm hoping lots of use will benefit the tube.

In general it seems very stable and the timebase holds never need touching, though the mains voltage is critical - you do notice if it is 230 volts rather than 240 but can adjust the brightness to compensate.

As for my own Townsman, which donated its blocking oscillator transformer to get this job finished; this is now back to normal too, all thanks to Andy Beer who let me have some ex-BRC 1500 transformers. One of these has now been 'adapted' and works fine in my Baird.

Steve
Old 14th Jul 2007, 8:28 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Steve,
What a lot of work but very enjoyable, especially the end result.
The Mazda U801 did indeed give a lot of trouble in the sets using it. Ekco and Ultra used it in many models from 1951-1954. It was so unreliable that Ultra used a Mullard [in fact two in one model!] PZ30 rectifiers and the later versions of the V814 series 2 X PY82's again Mullard were used. This was a serious break due to these two makers being contracted to Mazda. It proves the problems that were caused by this horror valve.
Mazda valves were very reliable but they certainly had a problem with rectifiers. The main problem was a flaking cathode that went across the range including H.T., boost and eht types. The U801 with its four seperate anodes required 4 X 100ohm surge limiting resistors. If one went O/C the remaining anodes had to cope with the increase in demand. This led to a run away effect resulting in a completely blown up U801 and often the house fuses into the bargain!
A great restoration. Regards John.
Closed Thread