UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2007, 7:26 am   #1
taipai_royal
Pentode

Default Bush TV22 LOPT Mishap

I was a bit heavy handed when cleaning up the EY51 anode solder tag, unfortunately it tore off the body with a chunk of pitch. Whats the best method of re-attachment? I still have continuity of about 880 ohms dc.
Regards Graham

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 28th Mar 2008 at 11:22 am.
Old 29th Jun 2007, 8:21 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TV22 LOPT Mishap

Graham
I think there is probably quite a thick layer of pitch before you get to the outside of the winding, so you should be able to expose enough wire to solder it by melting some pitch off; be very careful, only melt a small amount, and have the connection facing the bottom so the pitch drips off.

If the pitch that has broken off is near the winding, it might be possible to get a few mm of wire off the winding by heating it, but the wire is very fine; you need a loupe, good light, a good pair of tweezers and a steady hand!
Old 29th Jun 2007, 4:03 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And once you've successfully repaired it, I think that will be your very last chance, so be very careful
Old 29th Jun 2007, 5:52 pm   #4
taipai_royal
Pentode

Thanks Mike and Nick, the tag has completely come away and is dangling mid air on the winding. perphaps I can super glue it back to the body if I can clean up enough, or if I reglued using molten pitch it might hold.
Graham.
Old 30th Jun 2007, 8:49 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Ah - good! It's not broken off, then, as I thought. I would go for melting pitch back into it - Superglue might have an effect on the enamel on the wire?
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 7:29 am   #6
taipai_royal
Pentode

Thanks Mike I took your advice and successfully managed to pitch solder the card and tag back in place.
The lamination ends look a bit encrusted and slightly swollen with rust, perhaps I should clean this off and reseal with pitch?
Graham.
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 7:50 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Might be worth it, Graham, if it dismantles easily. I would just be inclined to give the lams a brush with a wire brush and wipe them in veg oil which will prevent rust eventually turn to gum with the heat.
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 7:41 pm   #8
Tim
Dekatron

Is it possible to bolt the tag back on with a really small fixing(8BA?)
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 8:41 pm   #9
taipai_royal
Pentode

Thanks Tim, I think I have fixed it for now, I would have preferred a mechanical type fixing, but the backing card had also come adrift, with using pitch as a glue the possible problem is de-bonding with any heat generated when its fired up. Graham.
Closed Thread