UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2007, 10:20 am   #1
Radioman05
Retired Dormant Member

Post Granada M20 HR1 - (RBM A774)

I have a Granada television set which is not working properly. I just bought a new valve for it (PY88) - all the filaments in all the valves are lit and in the CRT. The speaker makes a clicking sound constantly once the valves have warmed up; does the set pick up on VHF or UHF?

Thanks Tom

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 18th Mar 2008 at 9:18 am. Reason: S&P
Old 18th Apr 2007, 5:59 pm   #2
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Granada M20 HR1

If it's the Hybrid single standard (625) mono RBM chassis it's the A774. If you have heaters and HT, chances are it's a line output fault as the LT supply for the tuner and IF stages is derived from the line output stage.

Can you put a picture of the set up for us, or give us a description of the appearance of the set, like how many tuner buttons and the location of the brightness, contrast controls etc?
From this we should be able to recognise what set you have here.

The trouble with Granada is that they use to badge all their TVs. They mostly used mono sets from BRC, GEC, Decca or Rank.
Old 15th May 2007, 5:08 pm   #3
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Ok, I am now the custodian of this set
I have given the set the once-over and it is indeed an RBM A774 chassis.

First fault found was an o/c fusible resistor in the line output area. With this re-soldered I applied power. Valves came up but as the line output valves warmed up and the line whistle could be heard the lopt started flashing over and letting out the magic smoke

First off - anyone got the service data for this set, also has anyone got a spare lopt?

I do have a lopt that I may be able to get working with this set, but it is not the correct one and would mean a lot of messing about to fit.

Jay

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 18th Mar 2008 at 9:22 am. Reason: Readability
Old 16th May 2007, 5:00 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Ok, I've fixed it

I decided I would take the lopt out to see where it was flashing over.
Upon removal I noticed that the bit of paxolin that makes up the connection board was carbonised around where it is used as an anchor point for the wires going to the valve top caps.

I removed this carbonised bit of paxolin and made the connections directly, covering them after with heatshrink sleeving; after this I put the lopt back in and gave the set a go.

First, the sound came up, which was a good start, followed by a slightly squashed picture. A quick tweak of the height control sorted that out and I now have a very good picture.

The set has now been running for over two hours with no problems so far.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miageimage.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	9756  
Old 16th May 2007, 10:58 pm   #5
Tazman1966
Nonode

An excellent result, Jay. Well done. These had one of the better pictures of the time so I seem to remember - well I was only a lad!

Tas

Closed Thread