UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2021, 12:59 pm   #1
Fieldtech
Diode

Default Telefunken Ground Wave Direction Finder P100

I have had one of these sets in my store for a long time and seem to remember when I was given it I was told it was from WW2 and may have been used by German forces.

I do have a manual with it but have been unable to find any information online as to its age or its use.

If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.

I have (I hope) posted a picture.

Many Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telefunken001.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	224562  
Old 14th Jan 2021, 7:05 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Telefunken Ground Wave Direction Finder P100

The manual I'm looking at says DK96 series valves, from that I would guess 1950's or early 1960's unless they made an earlier version using valves of an earlier type than the DK96 series.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 9:26 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

RM dates it at 1954
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefu...er_p_1002.html

or circa 1960
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefu...ler_p1003.html
Old 14th Jan 2021, 10:25 pm   #4
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,

that set looks neat and very complete! It is definitely a little bit younger than WWII. Great collector's item!

I bet if you position it on the roadside today you will find out it can slow down traffic very effectively!

Regards, Joe
Old 15th Jan 2021, 1:26 am   #5
Fieldtech
Diode

Thanks gentlemen for the information.

Now if I had known it was a Nahfeldpeiler or a Vermessungspeiler I might have found it on Google but my German language is poor, well nil actually.

I thought I remembered that series of valves from battery portable sets just before transistors arrived but was not sure when they were first available.

I was also surprised that a set made by a German company in WW2 would come with a manual in English!

I was given the set 25+ years ago and the picture was taken in 2006 and I am sure that was the last time it came out of its transit case.

I have a horrible suspicion that I will not be able to resist the temptation to get it out and see if it still works. This will probably take a lot of time and I will be reminded that I should be preparing for "downsizing" not messing about with all that old junk.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 1:30 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

That's a rather striking and probably nowadays unusual set- Telefunken obviously liked the "rainbow" scale theme, also prominent in the E52 and E127 sets. Probably in the running for "biggest and heaviest battery valve radio"!

Beware that battery valve filaments are very easily destroyed, it's definitely a case of sorting out a suitable power source before even thinking about switching it on- a slightly-used D cell would be a good choice for initial trial. There are too many tales of woe involving Scalextric or model railway power supplies and battery radios around, the valves are just too rare and expensive to risk ad-hoc solutions! Good luck with it.
Closed Thread