UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2008, 11:19 pm   #1
Denwynne
Retired Dormant Member

Default BBC 5.25 floppies.

I have been given loads of used 5.25 floppies,most are ex PC stuff,i am having problems formatting them with a BBC computer for use on the Beeb, have tried in 40 and 80 track settings, can you re-format ex PC floppies for use in a BBC drive.
Old 28th Jun 2008, 6:45 am   #2
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default Re: BBC 5.25 floppies.

Depends if they are HD or not. You can refomat the 360k pc disks without any problem if they are in good condition but the 1.2Mb ones wont work.

Andi
Old 1st Jul 2008, 5:12 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

You should be able to, BBCs used the same "soft-sector" disks (i.e., only one index hole per revolution) as the IBM PC (and I even remember wiring up a 5.25 drive out of an IBM to a Beeb!)

However, disks that have been used with one format layout may need to be bulk-erased before using them with a different format layout, especially if you are using an 80-track drive. The smaller read/write head may not be packing enough oomph.

You might have problems with disks that were originally used on a Commodore, Apple or Atari, as these machines could handle "hard-sectored" disks (with several index holes per revolution. You can easily tell which is which, just rotate the disk inside its sleeve.) This was because these machines used software techniques rather than hardware to discern the beginning of a track.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:03 pm   #4
Autochanger
Retired Dormant Member

As Andi says, HD 1.2mb disks won't format in a 360k 40 track or a 720k 80 track drive, their magnetic surface has different properties (something to do with magnetic coefficients and oersteds). If the packets/boxes aren't labelled, you can tell which disks are which because high density 1.2mb disks don't have a hub ring, but the double density 40T/80T disks do. The hub ring is a stiffened ring around the centre hole, which was meant to help centre the disk in the drive as it was being clamped.

Roy
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 11:05 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autochanger View Post
high density 1.2mb disks don't have a hub ring, but the double density 40T/80T disks do.
What a useful tidbit of information. I learn something new every day.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 4:51 pm   #6
Autochanger
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not saying the hub ring rule is a 100% certainty, there just may have been some exceptions to the rule. I worked in IT for over 35 years (mainframes through minis to micros/desktop PCs) and I never saw a soft sector DD disk with a hub ring or vice/versa. Another give away was that DD disk surfaces tended to be a paler brown and most 1.2Mb HD disk surfaces looked much darker, almost black (presumably because of the different oxide coatings)

Roy
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 7:35 pm   #7
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

The problems associated with using 40-track disks on 80-track drives is that, although the 80-track drive will usually work fine, due to the narrower heads they will only erase and write a track half the width of those written by drives fitted with heads only for 40-track, if you are sticking to the same capacity. This means the data in the resulting half-track "gaps" is still there and will confuse a 40-track head trying to read it!

I've not experienced problems myself using an 80-track drive to format and/or write to DD (40-track) disks though the ones subsequently used in a DD drive have been new ones, freshly formatted. These read fine

BG
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 8:08 pm   #8
Denwynne
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the help,you do tend to learn a lot by just asking,being a novice i appreciate all the answers
Closed Thread