UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2020, 4:46 pm   #1
denney_design
Triode

Default Collaro Conquest advice.

Hello,

So i'm a complete novice compared to you guys, but I do love my vintage audio equipment....one of which is a Collaro Conquest unit in my Murphy Radiogram and it runs great with no huge problems. However, it doesn't like some of the newer vinyls for some reason. I got a couple of records by bands which have been released in the last 10 years or so and they skip ALOT, which is weird because this doesn't happen on other vinyls I have from the 80s/90s/00s.

I know you'll shout at me, but I did the classic trick of sellotaping a coin to the arm to see if that would make a difference, and although I know this isn't a long term solution (because it'll destroy my records), it seems to have solved the problem.

So is there any kind of fix at all?....(apart from not listening to new records of course )

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks, Pete
Old 27th Jan 2020, 5:21 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Collaro Conquest advice.

Hi Pete,

Is the stylus new(ish) and clean?

Is the cartridge the original one, or a newer replacement designed for stereo records (pics please)?

Have you measured the tracking weight to see if it's correct?

Has the Collaro ever been serviced, or is it still lubricated with its original, 60 year-old grease and oil?

Nick.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 5:45 pm   #3
bikerhifinut
Octode

On top of Nicks sound advice, I am wondering if the modern pressings are cut with more amplitude in the grooves? This seems to be the way of it nowadays as modern arms and cartridges can track more demanding levels. The older decks may be simply jumping out of the groove because of the extra energy in the cut?
There is a trend to reissue some Lps as Double albums, often at 45 RPM and with a lot of energy in the grooves. Kind of makes sense to me if its reissues of albums that had to be squeezed onto a single LP due to having longer playing times which meant the sound levels had to be wound down a bit, but I am cynical about some of the newer 45 RPM reissues with a couple of tracks per side especially when I can compare with good condition originals and I often find I prefer the original pressing, all else considered.
I fear you may just have to accept that a lot of modern pressings simply aren't suited to your vintage deck.
On top of Nicks advice though, and older gear with ceramic/crystal cartridges really isn't my forte, I wonder if you have been able to measure the actual tracking force, it may be that its a bit on the low side. The other thing is maybe try one of the newer ceramics that are available if possible and compatible. The experts here on the classic older gear will be able to elucidate on this.

doh! I realise Nick did advise on tracking force and cartridge compatibility.... ooops!
Andy.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 27th Jan 2020 at 5:47 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old 27th Jan 2020, 9:17 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

I have had numerous problems with modern pressings being played on oder equipment with ceramic or crystal cartridges.

The problem with the Collaro is that the headshell is very small and unable to accommodate most other cartridges.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 28th Jan 2020, 2:52 pm   #5
denney_design
Triode

Hello guys, thanks so much for coming back to me. It's about 10/11 years old since it was serviced and converted to a Stereo cartridge. The stylus appears to be clean....no dirt, dust or gunk on it....is it easy to replace? I can try swapping it and see?

Not sure about the tracking weight, how do I do that?

It's not something I use all the time either, just every now and again for a treat.

To be fair, one of the records in question that doesn't play, didn't play properly after the service either....what got me wondering was that I bought this other new record (reissue) and that doesn't play well either....even though all of my other vinyl does...which makes me think that Andy is right.

Are there any cartridges that you recommend might be worth trying?
Old 28th Jan 2020, 5:59 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It might be the stylus that just needs replacing. Please advise the type of replacement Stereo cartridge that's been fitted fitted or Post a photo of it. There are very few cartridges available now that will fit the small head on your Conquest.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 12:14 pm   #7
denney_design
Triode

No problem, pictures attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_214901.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	197952   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_214925.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	197953  
Old 29th Jan 2020, 1:35 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

That is the original mono Collaro Studio cartridge the styli are easily replaced.

Old 29th Jan 2020, 1:40 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or if it's not the original, it's exactly same as the original one was!
Old 29th Jan 2020, 1:52 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

I think we have found the problem

Those crystal carts have generally poor 'compliance'. Even those that are stereo will often struggle with newer pressings.

I would look at changing it for something like a BSR SC11 /SC12, but you would have to get creative in fitting it. Given the small headshell here, something like a single fixing hole from the top of the arm, a few spacers and a long screw into the BSR cart's fixing hole may work. I am sure others with experience will comment. The only Collaro I have with this arm still has its original Ronette cartridge but I only use it occasionally for 78s and old mono 45s so haven't bothered to replace it.

edit: read this thread
Old 29th Jan 2020, 4:19 pm   #11
denney_design
Triode

One of these?

https://www.thakker.eu/en/pickup/bsr...tridge/a-4949/

Ok, i'll get one and have a look.....so undo the screw at the top, unplug the wires at the back and then try and make it fit in the housing some how? I'll see how easy it is to swap over, but as an amateur i'm not going to take it apart too much because I appreciate how complicated these machines are....so may call on your very kind advice again!!
Old 29th Jan 2020, 4:24 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

You would have to cut/file down the sides of the bracket. It would help before doing anything to have some tips from anybody on here that has already done this on one of these Collaros.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 4:56 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
That is the original mono Collaro Studio cartridge the styli are easily replaced.
Regret not. That's a replacement Ronette 105 Stereo cartridge and, as with the original Collaro Studio type, replacement styli are avaibale.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 10:17 am   #14
denney_design
Triode

Ok, so shall I just get a stylus? What do you recommend and how easy is it to replace? Thanks, Pete
Old 30th Jan 2020, 10:47 am   #15
ben
Dekatron

By all means try the stylus if you find one cheap. Ideally the tracking weight also needs to be checked with a gauge. ISTR these carts need 6g or more.

However, I am not convinced that the 105 would cope with modern vinyl very well. Even if it is stereo, it dates from the early days of stereo. The compliance factor of the cart and the rather crude cantilever of the stylus limit its performance. Given the OP has recent records, it would make more sense to get something a bit more compliant like the said BSR.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 10:10 am   #16
Michael Maurice

AFAIK NONE of the ceramic cartridges will track modern records properly

Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:16 pm   #17
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I humbly disagree Michael. I have a Hacker Serenade in the living room with a (fully-serviced) Garrard AT6MkIIa deck and BSR SC11M tracking at 4g.

It plays everything the kids and I throw at it without skipping or signs of distress, from 1930s 78s, through very early mono 10" classical EPs and later DMM classical LPs, 7" singles, to newly-issued dance 12-inches with heaps of bass and transients.

OTOH, I can't speak for how a BSR ceramic would behave in a Conquest.

And obviously, a top-end Shure in a hifi deck would no doubt track these records "better". But to reiterate, the humble BSR does amazingly well and never ceases to surprise me.

Nick.
Old 20th Apr 2020, 10:46 am   #18
denney_design
Triode

Hello, just a quick update on this. I did manage to get hold of a SC11M and it works an absolute treat. Was easy to adapt; I attached the plastic cartridge mount to the original metal one. The plastic on the mount was easy to fashion so it fits in the head well. No skipping and great sound quality, well chuffed!!! Cheers, Pete
Old 20th Apr 2020, 11:15 am   #19
ben
Dekatron

Great news!
Did you mean that you kept the metal bracket and turnover knob from the Ronette and just replaced the actual plastic cartridge? Just curious.

Anyway, thanks for the update, now to enjoy
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 11:00 pm   #20
denney_design
Triode

Yeh that's exactly right. So I have managed to screw the original metal one to the new plastic mount and then the cartridge just clips on and the original screw that goes through the arm into the ronette mount holds the whole thing in place. I had to clip a bit of plastic off around the new plastic mount for it to fit within the arm and put a tiny bit of glue in place to hold the original turnover knob in place, but it looks pretty sympathetic! Thanks again all!!
Closed Thread