UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2021, 4:24 pm   #1
lesparapluies
Pentode

Default Telefunken tambour 101

Hello, I picked this radio up for €10 in a car boot sale in France last year; liked the look of it and fancied a challenge..it actually works (mostly). I've managed to get hold of a service manual, very poorly scanned, can't read any of the component values, waiting for a printed manual to arrive from Germany. I haven't been able to trace a user manual. There are a couple of minor issues, such as where to obtain 7-volt dial lights, but the main puzzle is the FM section (ukw). - It works, but only when the mono button is selected. The FM band is not tuned in with the rotary knob, but has 7 presets which are the buttons on the right (except there are 8 of them; the 8th doesn't turn, only presses in and out, and is marked ukw - but one of the main buttons is also marked ukw; I'm a bit baffled as to what this 8th button does. There is also an indicator light just above this 8th switch which doesn't come on at all, and no clue as to what it does (maybe a stereo indicator?). Although the pre-selectors work, the left hand frequency meter is also dead. When the service manual arrives things may become a little clearer but in the meantime if anyone has come across this model or anything similar before and would like to offer some words of wisdom, they would be gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	225005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3241.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	225006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3242.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	225008  

Last edited by lesparapluies; 20th Jan 2021 at 4:34 pm.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 5:04 pm   #2
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: Telefunken tambour 101

"Tambour" may well be the French name for it. A search I did indicates that it may also be knows as the Orchestra HiFi 101 which might help with finding a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesparapluies View Post
The FM band is not tuned in with the rotary knob, but has 7 presets which are the buttons on the right (except there are 8 of them; the 8th doesn't turn, only presses in and out, and is marked ukw - but one of the main buttons is also marked ukw; I'm a bit baffled as to what this 8th button does.
I think the first 7 buttons are UKW presets. The eight one enables normal tuning with the tuning knob. So if you've selected the UKW waveband on the left you have the choice of 7 presets or normal tuning.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 20th Jan 2021, 5:45 pm   #3
lesparapluies
Pentode

Of course! Absolutely correct, that should have been obvious to me, with the FM strip showing on the main dial, where's my brain today?. All of the main controls; volume, bass, treble, etc, are labelled in German, so yes maybe it was branded in the UK as "Orchestra", thanks for the info.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 10:29 pm   #4
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,

the questioned indicator light must be the stereo reception indicator. If you select "mono" mode this light cannot be lit even if there is a strong stereo signal present.
In case you wonder about the ta-tb button: This is the input selector for gram pickup (= ta "Tonabnehmer") and reel to reel or cassette recorder (= tb "Tonband").

I remember I had often trouble keeping the contact elements of those push buttons functional (manufacturer Preh)

Regards, Joe
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:52 pm   #5
lesparapluies
Pentode

Thanks Joe, yes there are rear sockets for pick-up and tape; further down the line I think I'll fit a stereo 3.5mm input socket to play iPod, etc. The 7 volt festoon bulbs are another curiosity, one of them is missing. I may see if a 6V bulb would be happy there, if not I could replace the bulbs with 3.5V ones and put them in series, or just fit white LEDs with resistors. But a lot to be done before that. Thanks for the info re the push button switches. Curiously, LW doesn't work, although FM MW and SW are fine; maybe this could be a switch problem
Old 21st Jan 2021, 11:43 pm   #6
lesparapluies
Pentode

Update - spotted tonight that one of the fine wires on the LW section of the ferrite rod is broken due to the elastic anchoring of the rod having perished and the rod coming off its mountings, so not the wave selection switch; easy one to put right, will wait for the schematic to arrive before I can investigate the lack of FM stereo
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:05 pm   #7
lesparapluies
Pentode

I need to join the two pieces of this broken aerial coil without making things worse, was thinking of using a short length of thin fuse wire but is there any particular technique with regard to removing the insulation coating from the coil wire? Sorry to ask such a basic question but there's not much room for failed attempts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3244.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	225123  
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:23 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Depends on the nature of the enamel on the litz wire of the winding how easy it will be! You may be lucky and it'll be solderable synthetic type, otherwise you're into careful scraping with a scalpel or fine grade wet'n'dry. Supporting the joint (if you manage to make one!) with a small piece of heatshrink tube should allow you to use something similar to 7/0.1 flexible PVC wire or maybe 30AWG wirewrap wire for the extension.

Good luck!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread