UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2005, 4:12 pm   #1
Lowemission
Tetrode

Default Veronica FM transmitters

Hi.....has anyone had any experiance with a firm called Veronica and their FM transmitters http://www.veronica.co.uk/index.htm.

My wife wanted to know why she couldn't have a FM thingy like the one i've got for AM, i told her to get back in the kitchen and not to get involved with such matters

As i'm now getting very hungry i thought it best to investigate

I know that there's plenty of cheap FM units around but i'm more interested in sound quality than price.

Thanks for your time

Julian
Old 18th Jan 2005, 4:19 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Veronica FM transmitters

Julian, Veronica mainly make small professional broadcast TXs. They're often used by dubious chaps climbing round the top of tower blocks, but they have perfectly legitimate users as well (RSL licences etc.) I think you'd attract unwelcome attention if you started using their kit as a domestic microtransmitter

I bought one of these (not from this seller) and can recommend it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Sound quality, stereo encoding, frequency stability and range are all very good. Make sure you can set it to a clear frequency in your location though.

HTH, Paul

Last edited by paulsherwin; 18th Jan 2005 at 4:25 pm.
Old 18th Jan 2005, 4:44 pm   #3
Lowemission
Tetrode

Hi Paul....yes i know the problems that they can cause

Just didn't want to buy something like the Linex and then find that the sound quality is poor, i have my dab for that.

Thanks for your reply, i'll see if i can get hold of a Linex and give it a road test.

Cheers
Julian

Last edited by Lowemission; 18th Jan 2005 at 8:09 pm.
Old 18th Jan 2005, 5:58 pm   #4
Gordon
Pentode

Hi Julian,

I have built the 50 mW Veronica fm transmitter and it's very good. I built my own power supply and at first I had trouble with mains hum until I regulated it.
I can also recommend the 'Wireless Man' from the following :

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.as...74&dept_id=102

If you buy just the Tx and the power supply it works out cheaper than the Veronica, and it's ready to go. I use one here in France to rebroadcast Radio 4 (and anything else from my digibox) around the house. My neighbours are outside of the signal strength. I haven't checked for harmonic radiation which I guess is rather important.

Another mystery re licence regulations is that my daughters baby alarm, which broadcasts on the fm band (in the UK), can be heard at her neighbours house four doors away. This was bought in Boots!

Gordon.
Old 24th Jan 2005, 4:07 pm   #5
Lowemission
Tetrode

Thumbs up Re: Veronica & LineX FM transmitters

I decided to buy a LineX FM transmitter (Pauls recommendation) rather than the much more powerful Veronica model.

I received the LineX this morning and i'm pleased to say that it's great for around the house (and more than likely the garden) with very good sound reproduction.
It uses 3 AA's and battery life is supposed to be 150 hours, no external supply.

Mine is version 2.0 going from 88.0 to 89.2 mhz, the newer models i believe start from 100 mhz and are less powerful, so i've been told.

In the end i had to buy it off ebay (Germany) total cost £22.99, other web sites in the UK said that they were now unavailable .

Anyway i'm now , thanks to Paul and Gordon for their advise

Julian
Old 24th Jan 2005, 5:01 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Julian, I have mine hooked up to a line level signal from the hifi, so I can pipe anything through it. I discovered by trial and error that a standard line level signal (from a CD player say) needs 6dB attenuation to drive it properly. This obviously isn't an issue if it's being driven by a headphone socket with a volume control.

Anyway, I'm glad you're pleased with it. I can't remember how much mine cost but it was more or less what you paid.

Best regards, Paul
Old 24th Jan 2005, 5:12 pm   #7
Lowemission
Tetrode

Thanks for the tip Paul yes i had only tested mine out of a headphone socket.

All the Best
Julian
Closed Thread