UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2017, 5:31 pm   #21
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: "Everyday Electronics" and other defunct magazines.

Thank you Graham.
Do you know if C&G model answers have been archived, or are available these days?
What a wealth of information was carried in those journals it would seem such a pity if all that technical info has been scrapped.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Dec 2017, 6:01 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Indeed. The Post Office Engineering Journal became British Telecommunications Engineering in April 1982. My collection ends at April 1995, so I can't comment on what happened thereafter.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 7:32 pm   #23
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Dave.
Being interested in technical education I often wonder how the syllabus today, compares with yesterday. I suppose today it’s all about system engineering and would there be such things as “model answers”?
Cheers
John
Old 13th Dec 2017, 10:07 pm   #24
arjoll
Dekatron

Dad bought Everyday Electronics regularly during the 80s - always about six months out of date because of the time it took to get over here.

I think it was more for circuit ideas etc though - the projects that have lasted were all from a couple of ETI "best circuits" compilation books - he still has a couple of ETI 480 modules with the appropriate power supply and a speaker protector in a box, and has CMOS IC-based limiters and things sitting around in his workshop. He never did get the ETI pitch-shifting "howl-round stabaliser" working properly though, after spending /a lot/ on the two pitch-shifting ICs.

He (and I) also have a lot of Dick Smith kitset stuff, mostly from projects in ETI, EA and Silicon Chip. There are also a couple of old David Reid things around, but I'm not sure what publication they came from or if they developed them themselves.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 3:26 am   #25
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

David Reid, that brings back memories.

Bought my stereo system speakers from them in the 70's and still in use today.

They used to do their own projects as well as a limited range of kits from the magazines.

I have a vague memory of some of their own being published in EA.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 2:44 pm   #26
avocollector
Heptode

I loved PE as a school kid back in the late 60's and by good luck acquired a large number some time ago (a lifetime collection bought online). Also bought Electronics Australia (until it went to ads only then folded) and currently the Australian mag Silicon Chip. One thing puzzles me about older PE copies - as it was published in the UK should there not have been deposit copies (as per UK publishing law) in the British Library. One other (sad) thing is that the current rights holders to old PE have no intent to publish the back issues on DVD - one of the Aussie mags has done this.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 7:05 pm   #27
flyingtech55
Octode

I still regret the passing of Television magazine but I do understand the reason for its decline. I was still a TV/video engineer during its latter years but was working to leave the trade as I could see the direction things were going. It served a real and practical service to everyday bods in the trade like me. I did however continue to support the magazine to the end. I don't normally look back or go back once I've left, but the old days of the rental tellys were pretty good, fun and occasionally wild times.

TimR
Old 19th Dec 2017, 7:30 pm   #28
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
I loved PE as a school kid back in the late 60's and by good luck acquired a large number some time ago (a lifetime collection bought online). Also bought Electronics Australia (until it went to ads only then folded) and currently the Australian mag Silicon Chip. One thing puzzles me about older PE copies - as it was published in the UK should there not have been deposit copies (as per UK publishing law) in the British Library. One other (sad) thing is that the current rights holders to old PE have no intent to publish the back issues on DVD - one of the Aussie mags has done this.
You can download back issues of Practical Electronics and many other publications from this site:-

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...lectronics.htm

Before disposing of hard copies of mags I first check whether they're available on that site. If not I send them copies for scanning.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 8:41 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Does anyone else remember "Electronics in Action"? It survived for just 10 months (October 1993 to July 1994). It was edited and published by Paul Freeman-Sear who previously edited ETI then went on to work for The Maplin Magazine for a while.

I had articles in all 10 issues of Electronics in Action and still have all 10 issues.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Dec 2017, 8:44 pm   #30
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Further to Tims comments [post 27] I tried to keep on with P TV even though I was never anywhere near working in the trade. I even subscribed to the attempted re-birth of the mag that collapsed after a few issues. I was also able to get a number of the final issues of the original title and pass them on to Dave Moll for his archive. The TV Repair shop on Bridge Street Ramsbottom [run by two brothers] finally closed on October 18th. Unfortunately I was in Sussex then [as now] but I'm going to check if there was any press coverage. There can't be many left now I suppose. The end of an "error" as the Americans say

Dave
Old 19th Dec 2017, 9:25 pm   #31
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post

You can download back issues of Practical Electronics and many other publications from this site:-

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...lectronics.htm

Before disposing of hard copies of mags I first check whether they're available on that site. If not I send them copies for scanning.
True, but you don't get the distinctive, nostalgic smell of the older paper mags!
Old 19th Dec 2017, 10:24 pm   #32
ITAM805
Nonode

Quote:
"...I tried to keep on with P TV even though I was never anywhere near working in the trade"
Me too Dave, although I did work in the 'trade', I wasn't a repair guy. I always bought PTV even thought much of it was a mystery to me, it still is ! I think I bought every 'tronic' mag going, my fave was Elector, but all of them had something interesting in
Old 19th Dec 2017, 11:31 pm   #33
julie_m
Dekatron

I used to read "Television" magazine from time to time, in the hope of maybe summoning up the courage to overcome my irrational fear of the infernal things; but that was never to happen.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 10:51 am   #34
John10b
Nonode

I had a large collection of magazines such as Television, Wireless World and many other titles, which proved to be very informative. However when I retired and moved house it was with a heavy heart that I disposed of them, just didn’t have the room. It’s a pity that there isn’t a central library where all technical publications can be held.
Cheers
John
Old 20th Dec 2017, 11:01 am   #35
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

A lot of libraries used to have technical magazine runs but they turn Library space into community hubs and a minimalist display area now. I know of one city library that promised to conserve it's stock but threw a shocking amount away. I once had great help from the Westminster Library [not the House of Commons one] as it had a complete run of the Radio Times. I hate to think what may have happened there

Yes ITAM, I couldn't claim to have been that up to speed repair wise but it was always an interesting read plus there is a great deal of non technical TV history to be found in the columns and articles, particularly from the 60's and 70's.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Dec 2017 at 11:09 am.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 11:45 am   #36
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Fortunately, a forum member managed to intercept a pile of Practical Wireless magazines that were being dumped by a library. A number of these are now helping to make up my collection, and I have managed to pass others on to fellow enthusiasts at Golborne and NVCF.
Old 25th Dec 2017, 10:03 am   #37
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
I still regret the passing of Television magazine but I do understand the reason for its decline. I was still a TV/video engineer during its latter years but was working to leave the trade as I could see the direction things were going. It served a real and practical service to everyday bods in the trade like me. I did however continue to support the magazine to the end. I don't normally look back or go back once I've left, but the old days of the rental tellys were pretty good, fun and occasionally wild times.
Television magazine was always a favourite of mine too, I was lucky in as a friend of mine who was a TV engineer for an independent rental outlet used to pass them on to me after he had read them.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 3:48 pm   #38
Tim
Dekatron

I used to get Hobby Electronics. EE was a rival, but I came to think had simpler more practical projects. I tried to build half a dozen or so projects from HE but I only managed to get one to work first time. The parts were also expensive or often unobtainable. I remember there were often corrections published the next week, which wasn't really very good for a young lad trying to teach himself electronics.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 6:28 pm   #39
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

"Nuts & Volts" was another magazine I used to occasionally borrow from a friend - it was rather more down-to-earth (no pun intended) in that there was generally a lot more electrical/mechanical stuff in it rather than pure electronics.

There was also "Radio & Electronics World" which was published by the Ambit/Cirkit operation: they did a number of good projects [using modules/PCBs supplied by Ambit/Cirkit of course] for RF-related stuff [VHF linear-amplifiers, frequency-counters, a HF transceiver]. I still have a rather good VHF tuner I built based around a "Larsholt" varicap-tuned module from one of their designs. A 10-turn linear pot coupled with a 6:1 Jackson Bros. reduction drive gives 60 turns of the counter-dial to tune the broadcast-FM band - and with switchable selectivity it's a great Band-II DX receiver.

Also there was a sort-of hybrid magazine/catalog in the 1970s by "DORAM" which was an offshoot of RS Components aimed at the electronic hobbyist. You subscribed for a year and they sent you discount-vouchers with their periodic magazine/catalogs.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 31st Dec 2017 at 6:35 pm.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 12:22 pm   #40
Radio Wrangler

We could have endless fun constructing a pecking order list of all the periodicals graded by 'seriousness' or something like that. I suppose Bell System Technical Journal would be at one end of the spectrum, but the other end would be much more contentious.

I don't suppose any one periodical would have a point location so much as a trajectory.

Has anyone else noticed that QEX has become rather thin?

Dubus is still very good, though.

One thing about looking back to what I read when I was a kid was that my own level was increasing somewhat and I left behind a number of periodicals I once read. Mind you that was the electronic eggtimer and glissandovibe period of PE. I think it may have been a low-point

David