UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 6:54 pm   #101
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

I don't think they're repeats. At least, the two I've seen so far have been new to me.

I thought today's leather rhino was hilarious - largely as a result of where the "closing seam" was located.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 7:40 pm   #102
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I thought the radio restoration on Monday was pathetic.
For a start, if it was of such sentimental value to the owner how could it have got into that state? He said he used it in the greenhouse, I think it must have been buried under the soil.
The restorer had to replace parts 'for safety reasons'! The only way that radio could be unsafe is if it was thrown at someone. And instead of giggling like schoolboys at 'pF', wouldn't it have been more instructive to explain what a capacitor was, and that capacitance is measured in Farads which subdivide into microfarads and picofarads. But that would been too technical for the producer to understand.
And just as the owner called to collect it and it was turned on, there happened to be a message to him broadcast by the local radio station...………….what a coincidence.
It wasn't actually demonstrated working in a believable way.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 7:54 pm   #103
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My sentiments too Andy.I was also horrified at the state of a much loved radio.

Yes,I always called picro farads puffs, though certainly not thought it funny then or now.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:13 pm   #104
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Yes the radio restoration was cringe worthy and who needs to use a scope to see if a transistor oscillator is operating. The knob fitted to the tuning dial looked good and full marks for the small plastic pot lid for the dial cover. He could have done much better for the volume control knob though!

Hopefully the restorer {a forum member perhaps} was under heavy direction from the producers to ham it up.

Ed
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:17 pm   #105
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
And just as the owner called to collect it and it was turned on, there happened to be a message to him broadcast by the local radio station...………….what a coincidence.
It wasn't actually demonstrated working in a believable way.
I could not believe it, and had to rewind. The station was, Crystal FM ?
on a MW set. Maybe was not Crystal but definitely "FM"
I believe the set was a Transistor Severn BC505 from October 1961 with half the badge missing. The programme said it was 1950s.

John.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 9:00 pm   #106
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'm glad it's not just me then.

Dire.

I stopped watching the earlier series when they described self-styled 'experts' as 'skilled craftsmen' and 'artisans'. In the last series a young chap billed as an 'antique restorer' was (allegedly) restoring a pipe rack. A brass ferrule was missing so the guy who is on the metalworking lathe turned a new ferrule. It was slightly oversized on a trial fit, so needed a smidgen to be taken off. The 'antique restorer' thought it could be made to fit into the delicate wooden pipe-rack by hammering it into the hole, with predictable results. Giggles all round, and out came the superglue to bodge it back together again.

In yesterday's episode, his task was to replace some missing rosewood veneer on the base of a skeleton clock. The original veneer would have been applied using hide glue. I think he used PVA, then instead of using fine sandpaper (no coarser than 320g) to blend it in with rest of the veneer, sanding with the grain, he used a sanding disc in an electric drill. I guess he then slapped a coat of Ronseal on rather than French polish. I'd lost interest by then.

Basically, it's just daytime TV light entertainment on a tight budget for the hard of thinking. One to miss.

Makes me realise how lucky I was to have grown up in an era when schools had well equipped woodworking and metalworking workshops and we were taught craft skills by committed and highly skilled craft teachers, followed by an apprenticeship, C&G exams, with 'pride in the job' imbued from an early age.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 7:52 am   #107
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

They aren't repeats. We always record it as it's on when we're eating or cooking.
I do wish they wouldn't keep putting in clips that are from other parts of the series - pointless, confusing for the listeners and if they needed to, why not show more of the part currently shown?
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:45 am   #108
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I think we’re in danger of being over-critical here. I’m interested in repair and restoration in general, not just radio, and a programme on BBC1 that features skilled people undertaking worthwhile repairs and challenging the throw-away culture has just got to be a good thing. I agree there are some shortcomings, but this programme is, for me, the only ‘must watch’ thing on TV just now.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:45 am   #109
ex seismic
Heptode

We've all seen the poor episodes whenever anything electrical is being dealt with and I just wonder if the clock chappie is seen as similarly inept in his world? To this non clock maker he certainly comes over as competent.

It could be such an interesting series but as has been said it is cheap entertainment for the masses, hence the emphasis on the human factor.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 9:58 am   #110
Paul Stenning
Administrator

According to the first aired dates on Virgin TiVo, series 4 is new. Started 1st April. I have just set my box to record them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5017.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	180811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5016.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	180812  

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:23 am   #111
regentone001
Heptode

I gave up on this when the clock guy took out an electric clock movement and without so much as a second glance condemned it as dangerous and replaced it with a battery movement. I seem to remember he has done that twice. That is not repair or restoration in my book.
Steve
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:44 am   #112
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I have to admit that the electric clock (and to a lesser extent the earlier pillar telephone) were low points for me, but I generally agree with Phil that it is, on the whole, well worth watching, despite its shortcomings. The "clock man" would probably do better sticking to his area of expertise in clockwork mechanisms.

The general ethos that items can be worth repairing/restoring - and not just for profit motives - is something that should be applauded.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:45 am   #113
GeoffK
Heptode

Jay Blade also appears on 'Money for nothing'. On that program he looked at and rejected a record player with a BSR deck destined for the skip that looked in restorable condition. So double standards at work here. If it had been brought along to the repair shop they would have been all over it with stories about how it was a treasured item and had to be restored.

Last edited by GeoffK; 3rd Apr 2019 at 10:53 am.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:58 am   #114
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Don't get me started on "Money for Nothing"! That BSR deck probably had a lucky escape from being "upcycled" in some ridiculous manner - which seems to be the usual fate of items I've seen on what little I've watched of MfN.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:33 am   #115
ekjdm14
Banned

We don't watch TV these days, and this thread reminds me of why. it's not the dumbing down of technical subjects which, although frustrating to those who have some knowledge, is really to be expected in mass-audience based programmes.

It's the repetitive nature and short attention span catering ways of repeating things 5 times and jumping from subject to subject like a frog on amphetamine...

Youtube is where I spend my screen-time these days & a lot of the videos I watch do tend to conform to the "slow TV" format mentioned earlier on, realtime or barely edited repair videos with technical content to the level the uploader chooses. I think that's where all the good "content" has gone to, driven by a passion for the subject rather than the need to make ratings/money.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 11:40 am   #116
LyntonP
Hexode

Just one question re this programme.
How does the clock man get all the brass items so clean and shiny? Are things taken to the buffing wheel off camera?
Lynton
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:11 pm   #117
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyntonP View Post
How does the clock man get all the brass items so clean and shiny?
Ammoniated clock cleaning fluid. Look up “Horolene” or the cheaper but excellent one that I use, “Priory Polishes No 1 Concentrated Cleaning Fluid”. These water-based fluids contain ammonia and oleic acid which removes tarnish and brightens brass with minimal polishing. They also work well on brass ornaments, lamp parts, Primus stoves etc etc.

The quartz movement sacrilege was widely discussed at the time. ‘Traditional’ clock repairers do seem to be wary of mains-powered synchronous movements and become unduly risk-averse, probably due to lack of knowledge of the basic electrical principles involved. However, as most of us know, such movements are perfectly safe when properly dealt with, and there is a wealth of information about them.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 1:48 pm   #118
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Ammoniated clock cleaning fluid. Look up “Horolene” or the cheaper but excellent one that I use, “Priory Polishes No 1 Concentrated Cleaning Fluid”. These water-based fluids contain ammonia and oleic acid which removes tarnish and brightens brass with minimal polishing.
Thanks for that answer Phil - I was about to ask the same question. I have a Westminster chime clock which I stripped down about 30 years ago and could do with doing again. I used petrol last time and although clean it wasn't shiny.
I didn't strip the springs out of their barrels either to clean and lubricate them which is probably why I need to do it again. I found the original drawings I made and this time I have a digital camera so it should be easier.
At one of my two recent house moves I think the platform escapement became damaged by one of the removal men shaking it about. We'll see!

Jim
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:29 pm   #119
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyntonP View Post
Are things taken to the buffing wheel off camera?
Lynton
Absolutely not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Ammoniated clock cleaning fluid. Look up “Horolene” or the cheaper but excellent one that I use, “Priory Polishes No 1 Concentrated Cleaning Fluid”. These water-based fluids contain ammonia and oleic acid which removes tarnish and brightens brass with minimal polishing.
Thanks for that answer Phil - I was about to ask the same question. I have a Westminster chime clock which I stripped down about 30 years ago and could do with doing again. I used petrol last time and although clean it wasn't shiny.
I sometimes use petrol if outside - IPA is quite good for that as well. If the plates and wheels are lacquered, which they probably are, Horolene will sometimes damage the lacquer.
Quote:
I didn't strip the springs out of their barrels either to clean and lubricate them which is probably why I need to do it again. I found the original drawings I made and this time I have a digital camera so it should be easier.
The first things that need cleaning are the springs. Keep a look of the holes in their ends as well, as they can be starting to split.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 3:33 pm   #120
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
The first things that need cleaning are the springs. Keep a look of the holes in their ends as well, as they can be starting to split.
Thanks Mike,

This clock is about 80 years old and was my grandfather's. Is it likely do you think that after all this time that the springs may may need to be replaced with new ones. As far as I'm aware I'm the only person to have repaired this clock.

I've done several gramophone springs since I did the clock last time and it's helped me realise how sticky the springs get and the amount of effort to clean them.

I'm in the middle of a few projects before I can make a start but I hope to do it this year.

Jim
Closed Thread