UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2014, 12:14 am   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default What to print

THere's been some talk on here about 3-D printers.

Wouldn't a core for an HT battery rebuild be a great thing to print?

Something to hold 80 or so AA cells. Just stuff, connect up and add the card outer.

David
Old 27th Mar 2014, 1:42 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: What to print

Probably OTT. Consumer 3D printers just assemble things from tiny bits of HDPE. You'd still need to provide the external graphics with a conventional printer, so you might as well build the repros from sheets of plywood or plastic.

I suppose you could make lots of battery holders this way, but you'd still need to do all the wiring.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 3:53 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

And the plastic would need to be rigid and stable enough not to lose tension with age.
Maybe future printers will be able to overprint wiring and contacts, who knows?
Old 27th Mar 2014, 8:55 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

At work at the moment we have some 3-D prints of candidate designs for large diecastings which will be the chassis of a radio transceiver. which integrates all the screening boxes and heatsinking needed for several PCBs and mounts the connectors. They are about the size of car radios. The plastic is stiff, it feels similar to Nylon 66 in hardness.

What I'd imagined was a matrix core to keep all the cells safely apart, then they could be wired up with soldered wires, or contact strips could be added, and then a card outer put on with all the required "Winner" graphics.

If 3-D printing at decent quality becomes affordable, then all sorts of things are going to be made.

A battery box design as two clamshells with metal connection springs inside could be unscrewed, separated and a new set of cells fitted when needed.

I wonder when the first faked round Ekco will be sighted?

David
Old 27th Mar 2014, 10:10 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
What I'd imagined was a matrix core to keep all the cells safely apart, then they could be wired up with soldered wires, or contact strips could be added, and then a card outer put on with all the required "Winner" graphics.
I doubt that 80 AA batteries would fit into the size of an Everready Winner

David
Old 27th Mar 2014, 2:31 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I wonder what size cells the original 120v HT battery had? I once took a dead one apart, but that would have been about 1963.

David
Old 27th Mar 2014, 4:57 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

I like the idea of a rigid cellular plastic core, something like a honeycomb, to neatly keep AA cells (etc) mechanically together but electrically apart. A wobbly stack of alkalines sort of kept apart by cardboard or paper sounds worryingly like an incendiary device.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 5:06 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I wonder what the RF dielectric properties of the plastics used in 3D-printed parts are like? I'm thinking replacement formers for IF transformers and RF coils that have been ruined by the "Phantom Core-Twiddler".

It seems that there are plastics for 3D-printers that must be quite tough:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...D-printer.html
Old 27th Mar 2014, 6:18 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

I travel to work past Rosyth dockyard and there is this huge gantry crane there. Its travelling blocks slew left to right and the whole structure rolls fore-aft on railway lines.

Just add a laser sintering head and print an aircraft carrier?

Well it looks like a huge 3D printer

David