UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2014, 10:57 pm   #1
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Vintage electronic lampshade

I was in a restaurant this evening and this lampshade caught my eye. The first photo is poor because it was rather dark (ironic, considering the subject) but it's a square lampshade of which two sides are made of old PCBs! I thought the terminal block on the ceiling connected to the fabric-covered iron flex was rather fetching, too.

Naturally I had to take a close-up photo (with flash this time) for later examination. The board seems to be covered mostly with UCY7400 series logic - Polish-manufactured versions of the TI 7400 series. Some date codes in 1978 are visible. It looks computer-related to me, given the big edge connector at the bottom and (not visible in the photo) a crystal in the top left. I wonder what its history is?

The food was good, too...

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0857a.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	90399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0859a.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	90400  
Old 20th Mar 2014, 11:43 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage electronic lampshade

I like the neatly done mod wiring in the closeup. It took me a while (some 20 years ago) to realise that the useful sticky dots holding the wires in place were just a bit of hotmelt gluestick dabbed on with a soldering iron!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Mar 2014, 4:50 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I have a set of coasters stamped from unpopulated PCBs. It was a gift from Mentec after I and some colleagues ran some tests on a prototype of their 'PDP-11' CPU board.
Old 21st Mar 2014, 6:57 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

That's a quaintly relaxed density there- I'd have been laughed at if I hadn't got 50% more ICs in!
Old 21st Mar 2014, 7:51 pm   #5
robin coleman
Hexode

Doing mods wires with glue was an art. We used candle wax before that and the delightful wire wrapping tool

Regards, Robin.
Old 21st Mar 2014, 10:17 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Yes, there was fine line between securing the wire neatly and melting the insulation which could be a problem with multiple wires and didn't look good.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread