UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2006, 11:40 pm   #21
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Earliest shop-available Colour set

I had a 25" G6 for a few months in the early 80s; the shop where I worked had scrapped it and put the cabinet (with doors) in the back of the showroom for sale, I retreved the chassis, tube, etc from the rubbish pile, bought the cabinet (cheap, staff price! ), took the lot home and put it back together!
The only slight problem was the wiring to the tuner, front controls, scan coils had all been cut, so quite a lot of soldering and taping took place.
I think after reassembly it worked first time. I was only 17/18 at the time so I was quite relieved; I wasnt looking forward to a valve decoder fault.
We had the set for a few months in the dining room ,the only people in our street with two colour tvs!

Then, I bought a Bush with a flat tube, so the G6 had to go. I think I sold it for about £80 in the local paper, it was the start of a cunning plan......

Next thing I was running my own TV shop (for 25yrs). You wouldn't get that for murder, would you?
I can confirm the G6 always had its "own" picture, the reds were always softer, or was that the tube?

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 8th Jan 2008 at 9:45 am. Reason: S&P
Old 5th May 2007, 1:34 am   #22
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Earliest shop-available Colour set

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
Probably not much help, but we entered the colour era in 1973 and it was with a large Baird branded beast from Radio Rentals. It was a hybrid chassis and the mean time between failures was about a week!
I assume this must've been an original Baird CTV, surprising they still rented these out at this time. My late grandparents set rented from RR in 1974 was a Thorn 8000 chassis set!

Hybrid Tellies comments in #18: I guess they would've been rogue versions of the best models, early CVC5s for example having polystyrene capacitors in early production. I've mentioned the Ultra 3000 chassis set rented in 1973 in another thread, it was appallingly unreliable with just about every fault known on this chassis, plus needing two new CRTs in just four years (this was a new set at the time!). A Baird model with the same chassis was very reliable however.....

Brian R
Closed Thread