UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2009, 11:03 pm   #1
onewatt
Hexode

Default Which B&O tv

I fancy a B&O colour crt TV, 26" - 32" but What model should I look out for to get reliability and quality of tube/picture?

Applogies to those who replied to my previous post but due to a fopar on my part its been discontinued.

Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Chris

Old 18th Dec 2009, 12:42 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Which B&O tv

In Dec 1989 I bought one of the last LX2802's fitted with Nicam, it is still going strong today.

Previously I had the stereo version of the 8802 (the one fitted with a 30AX tube)

The LX2802's and its 25" brother, was the last of the B&O's not to have some sort of video processing' which makes the pictures somewhat sharper and more plasticky!
Old 18th Dec 2009, 1:06 pm   #3
onewatt
Hexode

Hi Michael
Thanks for the info. I'd just asked the mods to remove this thread thinking it was perhaps in the wrong place or not needed due to my other post but thanks anyway.
Was the 30AX tube the modified version in your's and did you upgrade because you needed to or could?

I'm a bit perplexed as to which direction I should be going. The main requirement is a good picture as it's a TV but, which is the best tube? Looking at my other post it would be the modified AX at the moment but I'm not sure which models used this at the moment. I'll pm studio263 and see if he can throw some light on it.
Regards
Chris
Old 18th Dec 2009, 1:16 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd agree with Michael - they would offer the best picture/reliability compromise. Beware the non-B&O sets such as the tubey Thomson ICC3 (that's the small-screen set with the speaker below and the smoked plastic front) and the Philips GP110 (good enough, but not a real B&O). Also watch out for the widescreen sets that were fitted with the notorious Philips CRTs - they gave a great picture and looked stylish, but if you're temped budget for a new tube.
I't's certainly worth contacting Tim (Studio 263) about these sets - he might even know where there is one.
Glyn
Old 18th Dec 2009, 1:31 pm   #5
John123
Heptode

A mate of mine had an LX6000, which was pretty run-of-the-mill style wise, but gave good picture and sound.
I wonder if any models were fitted with Videocolor FST tubes (hopefully not the ICC3!)? They seem to last a very long time.
Old 18th Dec 2009, 8:26 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

There's an LS6000 available from one of the members

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=48605

I dont know whether the tube was the modified version, I changed to the LX2802 because of the Nicam facility and because it looked a bit sleeker than the previous one.

The worst B&O IMHO was the MX5000 fitted with a version of the ICC5. even my B&O dealer friend has for a long time refused to repair them.

Beware also the later widescreen sets in which servicing was carried out only by a complete factory exchange chassis. There are no diagrams available, and the service manual simply tells you how to dismantle, exchanging the chassis and service mode.
Old 18th Dec 2009, 8:34 pm   #7
Station X

This thread is being closed at onewatt's request.

Please continue the discussion here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=48600

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Dec 2009, 9:07 pm   #8
Station X

Thread reopened at onewatt's request.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Dec 2009, 12:46 am   #9
jjl
Octode

I have a couple of early to mid '80s 30AX tubed B&O sets; an 8100 and 7702, both of which provide outstanding picture quality and both of which I was lucky to pick up from forum members for no cost.
I'd go for one of this type of set, but be aware that dry joints can cause all sorts of strange misbehaviour.

John
Old 19th Dec 2009, 3:38 pm   #10
onewatt
Hexode

Hi John
It looks like my 1st B&O TV is a LS6000 thats been given to me via the forum. I've taken on board all the advice and I'll keep my eye's open for something with more buttons & Whistles if I get on with this one in the future. Duly noted re: dry joints - on going problem with TV's I think
Thanks & Seasons Greetings
Chris
Closed Thread