UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2009, 11:57 am   #1
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Pye D16T. How many were made?

Hi folks,

Reading the thread about pre war sets had me wondering about the first post war sets. The reason being, i am the prowd owner of a Pye D16T set (which is still working very nicely after the usual cap replacement regime and a temporary Frame output TX ), and i would like to know how many of these were actually produced, and what others were available in 1946?
The cost would have been extortionate in 1946 (i think a Pye D16T worked out to be about £1200 Ouch !), so i find it hard to believe that many people could afford such luxury items.
Your thoughts and ideas on this please......

Cheers,
Alan.
Old 17th Dec 2009, 12:23 pm   #2
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye D16T. How many were made?

The D16T seems to be more common than its smaller sibling, the B16T. I find this a bit odd as one would think that the smaller the set, the more likely it was that the set would be stored and forgotten about - the console set could not be put on a shelf and forgotten. Mind you, putting the B18T on a shelf is not that easy and not many shelves are strong enough to support one! One thing that may cast a light on the subject is the serial number - mine is 11017 (my B16T is 12684). The question with serial numbers is whether they were applied consecutively to a model or factory output. I know for a fact that pianos were numbered as they went out the door, regardless of model so that a piano can be accurately dated using its serial number.
Cheers
Brian
Old 17th Dec 2009, 1:28 pm   #3
Ian B
Hexode

A possible explanation for the console versions surviving in larger numbers could be what happened in our house. When the Murphy console set died, the replacement Sobell sat on top of the Murphy for years (saved having to buy a TV table!). Sorry, I can't remember the model numbers.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 17th Dec 2009, 8:10 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

People that purchased television receivers in the early post war years would have wanted a 'complete installation'. Price was not a problem and a nice console television that could be wheeled out into the viewing area in the living room of a large detached house fitted the bill exactly.
I have two Pye D16T's obtained directly from their original owners. One was supplied by 'North Wimbledon Electric' to a mansion house in Home Park Road, just off Wimbledon Hill. The other was purchased again by a very wealthy customer that owned a chain of off licenses before the second world war. They were about to buy a television in 1939 but unfortunately events of the 1st September turned their hopes off. The first thing they did when the war ended was to order their television set! They were very well connected and received one of the very first 16T's released.
There were a number of popular receivers available. Ekco TSC30. HMV 1803/4.[a 1939 design] Cossor 900. Pye B/D/16T. [probably the most easily available] The Pye was a completely up to date deign compared with most manufacturers that released the 1939 models with small modifications. The D16T works incredibly well with loads of gain and a very reliable LETHAL 6kv eht transformer. I believe the early post war receivers were known at the time as the 'first 50.000'. There has always been very wealthy people around that can afford all the latest toys. In those days they paid in cash or cheque!
Regards, John.
Closed Thread