UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2007, 11:35 am   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1986 TV exhibition at the Festival Hall

Prompted by Steve (panrock) I thought I'd get a thread going on this event. I remember it well as it was probably the single most important event that got me into vintage TV.

It was indeed a remarkable collection that John Gillies displayed, mostly pre-war sets. Somewhere I have the booklet though it may take some finding.

There have been very few big TV displays since then. At the 2006 NVCF there were almost 40 sets, from 1936 to the end of 405, running for a day. A Harpenden in the late 1980s or early 1990s had a number of sets and I remember we were plagued with low mains voltage, not much above 200V for the entire day.

The 1986 exhibit was unique, not only for its large number of pre-war sets but also the length of time it was on. ISTR it was at least a week. All credit to John Gillies for bringing that number of sets and keeping them running.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:46 am   #2
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: 1986 TV exhibition at the Festival Hall

I remember it as great fun though somewhat frenetic. I fielded my pre-war sets: a Marconi 702 and an HMV 907 there, both working, ably assisted by Canadian engineer Terry Harvey who at the time was employed at the BBC.

At that event (if I recall correctly) the signals were supplied by a David Looser modulator fed by 405 VHS tape. One of John Gillies' sets, a Marconiphone 701 console (or its HMV equivalent) - that's the set with big art deco shoulders and built-in magnifier - was displayed in a 1930s room setting and showing original programmes. Delightful!

The public could view the display as they entered the hall for evening concerts.

Steve
Old 6th May 2007, 11:52 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

My apologies for not crediting all the other people who did so much to make that exhibit a success.

As for 405 line pictures, this was before any of the enthusiast designs for standards converters. Apart from a very few ex BBC and ITV converters that had found their way into private hands it was optical conversion or nothing. Thank goodness we could record 405 on to VHS without problems.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:56 am   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

This event gets a mention in Jonathan Hills book "The History of the BVWS 1976-1996" ,Published by the BVWS in 1998, page 67, with a nice picture on page 68. .

Regards, Mick.
Closed Thread