UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Apr 2007, 8:50 am   #1
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default 405 closedown captions - anyone remember these?

I've been having a sort through various video footage and sorting through various old tapes and I found this one. I do remember similar captions being radiated in 1984/5 in the Essex area, but does anyone else remember them? I clearly remember thinking "They won't really shut it down"................ A nice piece of nostalgia.

Checking through like this is a real warning through, some of my tapes are no longer playable after having sat there for quite a few years, so keep an eye on those old video tapes.

I'm not sure why the screen grabs have come out squashed, it was a rush job, but at least you get to see them.

I don't recognise the caption top right on the second picture, does anyone remember what programme this would have been from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	405 Closedown.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	9370   Click image for larger version

Name:	405 Closedown Pic 2.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	9371  
Old 24th Apr 2007, 10:04 am   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: 405 Closedown Captions - Anyone Remember These?

Thanks for sharing these with us! I personally don't remember seeing such captions, perhaps they were only shown intermittently?

Brian R
Old 24th Apr 2007, 11:12 am   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
I don't recognise the caption top right on the second picture, does anyone remember what programme this would have been from?
Something to do with The Royal Canadian Air Force perhaps?
Old 24th Apr 2007, 1:23 pm   #4
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

May well be Peter, unfortunately the recording I have just begins with these closing captions, you only see a couple of names and then the closedown caption covers over the rest of the credits. Interestingly I tried the number in this caption, you get an unobtainable tone and not the usual recorded message, not quite sure why that would be, but I doubt they would offer much help now, all these years later.

I guess that may need someone who remembers this programme from the 1985 era to recognise it. The recording is longer as it goes in to the next programme, then it ends shortly after the closedown caption is removed from the screen. The programme which follows is Chorlton and the Wheelies, so it's my guess that this recording was made somewhere around late morning to mid day in late 1984?

I do remember these captions, at the time we received BBC on Channel 1 and, I think, ITV on Channel 9, the captions often used to pop up between programmes and would stay on for a while in to the next programme.
Old 24th Apr 2007, 1:44 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
I'm not sure why the screen grabs have come out squashed, it was a rush job, but at least you get to see them.
Probably because the video capture mode you used has different horizontal and vertical resolutions.

I've stretched them to the right shape for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	405 Closedown.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	9380   Click image for larger version

Name:	405 Closedown Pic 2.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	9381  

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Apr 2007, 3:42 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I just wonder how many people will think "they won't really shut it down" come the analogue switch-off?
I was told by a man who should know that there were over 16 000 VHF-only sets in use when 405 shut down which would make the newest over 20 years old. This is analogous (pardon the pun) to the number of SCART-less sets in use come the analogue shutdown. I think there may be more this time.....

Glyn
Old 24th Apr 2007, 4:38 pm   #7
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Paul - Thank you, that looks much better!
Closed Thread