UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2007, 10:39 pm   #1
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Ferguson 3V00 take-up reel not running

I've got a 3V00 here with the Take Up not going on playback. I've changed the Spindle with a working one - Still Faulty. I've cleaned everything. Still faulty. Underneath the deck there's a Whitey Yellow thing that carries the torque from the large belt underneath through to the top, where it's about 0.5mm short when play is pressed.

The belts have been changed and apart from the take up, it's fine. I have changed the Whitey Yellow thing underneath and it's spring from the working deck.

Still the same!!

Am I finally going mad?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 17th Apr 2007, 11:35 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 3V00 Problem.

Steve,

Are you using pattern (i.e. non-JVC) idlers?

This kind of thing has been known to be caused by fractionally undersized tyres on the odd batch of these

Nick.
Old 18th Apr 2007, 12:06 am   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Pass, as all I have done is swap stuff from a Working Deck to a Non-Working one to find the faulty part. The parts that have been changed so-far have all come from a working deck!

If they worked in Deck 1, surely the same parts would work in Deck 2?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 18th Apr 2007, 7:52 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Steve
Just to make sure what you are saying; the tape is feeding through the pinch roller and capstan OK, but the RH spool is not turning to take up the slack?
FF + Rewind OK?
If so, is the clutch OK?
Not sure of the whitey-yellow thing - any chance of a pic/pics?
Old 18th Apr 2007, 8:16 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well, I'd send pics if I had a working camera. But I haven't right now. So...

Yes. it is the take up that's not working. I've changed the spool carrier with one off a working deck. And this, in playback, gets its torque from a clutch underneath, previousy referred to as a 'Yellow Thing'.

This too has been changed. I've scanned the one I took out - it's attached. It has a spring on it, and a mechanism for adjusting the take up torque. Is it OK to adjust this?

This gets its torque from the motor that drives the belt.

Cheers,

Steve P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	9265  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 11th Jun 2007 at 5:16 pm. Reason: EBay reference
Old 18th Apr 2007, 9:24 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

These are photos attached here. My camera now works. Just my photography skills aren't all that good. These were taken with the machine in Play Mode and the mains off.

Cheers,

Steve P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	video1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	9266   Click image for larger version

Name:	video2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	9267  
Old 18th Apr 2007, 9:45 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Underneath the deck there's a Whitey Yellow thing that carries the torque from the large belt underneath through to the top, where it's about 0.5mm short when play is pressed.
Steve,

Could you elaborate, please?

Do you mean that the silver-coloured part of the clutch assembly doesn't quite make contact with the take-up reel's tyre?

Nick.
Old 18th Apr 2007, 9:59 pm   #8
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes, but 0.5mm is a generous estimate here. It's odd is this...

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 18th Apr 2007, 10:28 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi Steve
I still think there were two types of clutch for the 3V00 with different diameters. Anyone else remember this?
Otherwise I wonder if the actuator lever is sticking just short of its final position - the rings did used to get a bit stiff and the grease could become glue-like. Of couse that's located between the upper and lower decks...oh what fun.
Glyn
Old 18th Apr 2007, 10:40 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi Steve
I still think there were two types of clutch for the 3V00 with different diameters. Anyone else remember this?
Glyn
I seem to recall there being two different sized clutches for the 3V00, although I didn't work on too many of these machines.

Also wasn't there was a stock fault where a roller attached to a lever (best description I can come up with at this time of night) didn't seat correctly in a notch on the mechanism timing gear which, I think, could cause the symptoms that Steve is getting with his 3V00.

Andrew
Old 18th Apr 2007, 11:09 pm   #11
Michael Maurice

Did you change the belts? If so where did you get them from?

ISTR that if the belt is too small, it can cause this problem.
Old 18th Apr 2007, 11:22 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

have you given the outer rubber rim of the t.u. spool a going over with emery paper? could be hard and shiny=no torque
Old 19th Apr 2007, 7:50 am   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

OK - a few things from what I remember in the distant past ....
The TU clutch top (alloy top-hat shaped bit) should be pressing firmly against the reel tyre whilst in record and PB.
I do not remember any change in the clutch, from the original 3292 to the last 3V16s.
The tension spring in the clutch is not critical and normally does not need touching.
A recurring problem on older machines is that the various rivetted posts on the deck plate started to come loose, because of the high spring tension on various bits attached to the main gear. Thorn supplied a rivetting tool and we could get new posts as well.

HTH

PS: Steve - why not let us have a look at NVCF? We'll not need mains to check this part.
Old 19th Apr 2007, 9:17 pm   #14
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well, I've fixed it, but not 100% sure how!

Took the Clutch out, cleaned everything again. Took the spindle off - Cleaned Spindle and underneath thourougly. Nothing came off, but I put them all back on with a different drive belt. Just as an 'I can't think of anything else' measure.

Oddly enough, it worked. Had 2 drive belts and it didn't. This one and it did.

Michael - They came from Grandata. Everyboby - thanks for your ideas and for listening to a halfway insane one handed TV Engineer.

Now lets see what else happens...

Cheers,

Steve P