UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:26 am   #1
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default What was the last valve TV set?

When were valve /hybrid TV sets made up until, in this country and elsewhere ?
Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:35 am   #2
yagosaga
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: last valve TV set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
When were valve /hybred TV sets made up untill in this country and elsewhere ?
The last valve/hybrid TV set I have seen in the shops of Germany was the Graetz Faehnrich in 1975:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...h2441color.htm

I remember that I was a 15 years old boy and I went to the shops to have a look on the back of the TV sets to see whether it has still valves or not. Most of the TV sets became more and more solid state in these years.

In the U.S.A. the last valve TV set was the GE Portacolor in 1980:

http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Old 1st Mar 2007, 1:14 am   #3
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

The last hybrid set made in this country was, I think the KB-ITT CVC5 series. One of my then colleagues purchased one in 1976. I purchased a 20" mono set,I think a UNITRA about 1983. These were made in Poland.

ALAN
Old 1st Mar 2007, 9:17 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Was the CVC9 not later?
I remember (but would prefer to forget) the Indesit hybrid mono - that was about 1976/77? Looked like a VC200, but resemblance ended there.

The excellent 26" Kuba Florence was possibly of that era - just a PL519 and PY500.

What age were the (dreadful) EMO colour sets with an EL509 and EY500, or the little Teletons with weird valves? Must have been fairly late?
Old 1st Mar 2007, 9:54 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The last all valve television, and surprisingly a 405 ONLY model made well into the dual standard era, was made by THORN [Ferguson] in 1966/67. It was a throw back using EF80 valves etc. The chassis is known as the 980 and worked very well indeed. It is a 12" portable using a Mazda CME1201 rimband crt. A rare 17" version was also produced. The ITT series were of course later but used transistors in the UHF tuner...Gotcha! Gotcha! J.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 11:31 am   #6
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Rediffusion MK1, 1977.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 2:53 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Wasn't the Red Mk1 a refurbished model with new CRT, cabinets and all the mods but essentially an earlier chassis? It looked like the Mk3 (without the PIL logo, of course) and I think it was for customers wanting a nice new set but not having the money to afford the latest model.
I'd agree the CVC9 - or maybe the Decca 33 with a black front panel and excellent pictures?
The EMO (wash your mouth out) was in the colour boom of 1973 (literally boom when the transformer went!), and I think the metal Teleton wasn't much later.
Glyn
Old 1st Mar 2007, 3:22 pm   #8
Focus Diode
Octode

I believe it was the ITT CVC9/1 late in 1975. This offered simple remote control. The CVC5-9 series were similar in the timebases, the differences being in the IF/decoder stages.

I think the Thorn 1500 chassis was still in production duriing 1976.

Brian R
Old 1st Mar 2007, 3:43 pm   #9
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

The metal cased Teleton is the VX1110 CTV, I have one in my collection and yes it does have weird valves having 400mA heaters, not too much heat then It was made in 1973 and still uses a 3AT2 EHT rectifier.
It was working great when I put it to bed some 8 months ago, got it out the other night, "click" and...............nothing!

Cheers
Lee
Old 1st Mar 2007, 6:51 pm   #10
MALC SCOTT
Octode

The last NEW Rediffusion mk1, 1977. The refurbed MK1 with a MK3 style cabinets continued until the early 80,s
Old 1st Mar 2007, 10:29 pm   #11
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

The last Hybrid colour tv's would have been the ITT CVC9 or the Decca Bradford 31/37 chassis both ending production 1976 or 1977.
The last mono hybrid sets was most certainly the BRC1500 which I think they kept churning out until as late as 1978 possibly early 1979. But I may stand corrected on this one.
Closed Thread