UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2006, 7:59 pm   #1
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Deflection coils stuck to tube neck

Hello,

My first post! Does anyone have an idea for freeing deflection coils from the neck of a CRT? The set in question is a Pye B18T with an MW22-14 tube. I have removed the tube complete with coils from the chassis, but am concerned about applying any degree of force. All suggestions welcome.....
Old 26th Dec 2006, 8:11 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Deflection coils stuck to tube neck

First, have a look around for any nuts and bolts that you need to unscrew. It's amazing what you miss. (Or is that just me.....)

Also, sometimes there is a paper thing that holds them on. Same applies, just remove it.

Otherwise, WD40, Warmth (A hairdryer or sit it near the fire for a bit - ignore the wife!) might free it. But whatever you do, be gentle. Old glass can become brittle and you may end up with a Duff tube.

Let us know what happens,

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Cheers

Steve P
Old 26th Dec 2006, 9:46 pm   #3
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Thanks Steve. No nuts and bolts - the whole thing is gripped by a circular clamp (removed) which was attached to a yoke on the chassis. I've squirted some Plus Gas dismantling fluid into the space between the coils and the neck. I'll get some WD40 tomorrow and try that, may penetrate better. Don't want to risk anything which might soften the enamel on the windings!

Can't chance your other suggestion - a cold wife is much worse than a dud tube.

Thanks for the welcome.

Regards,

Dave
Old 26th Dec 2006, 10:59 pm   #4
Dual Standard
Hexode

Dave,

I am with Steve on this. The best way to remove recalcitrant deflection coils is warmth. I find the best way is to leave sets powered on for two or three hours before attempting to remove defection coils. So my advice is to refit the CRT, put the chassis back in the cabinet, refit the back cover and leave the set powered on for a couple of hours and then try to remove the defection assembly while still warm (hot). It does not really matter if the CRT is faulty as it is the heat build up in the cabinet that helps.

Failing that and if a hair dryer (and lots of patience) is out then a day or two in a warm airing cupboard or an evening infront of the fire (throw the cat out), may do the trick.

Regards
Mike
Old 27th Dec 2006, 12:48 am   #5
Danny
Heptode

Hi ive removed several b18 and lv coils with the good old electric paint stripper but hold it at a distance and keep one hand on the coils so you dont over heat it or burn yourself rotate the tube while warming then the coils will free and when you replace them use some silicone grees to stop the wax sticking again. remember to wear goggles at all times when working on an exposed crt.
Danny
Old 30th Dec 2006, 3:49 pm   #6
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

A couple of days with the boiler did the trick! Coils came off quite easily and the tube is still in one piece. Many thanks for all suggestions - now it's a simple matter of repairing multiple faults in the set.

A Happy New Year to all.

Dave
Closed Thread