UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2006, 9:53 pm   #21
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: Bush TV22 - No Signal

Yes Jeffrey, the LOPT is removed from the set and is put in the oven on lowish setting for half an hour (closely monitored). Then, when the pitch is still solid but becoming decidedly soft and flaky, it is gently peeled off, with special care taken not to break any connections underneath (the bottom wire feeding the eht winding in particular). A certain amount of pitch will remain of course, but it's possible to get quite a sharp and clean-looking (if still black) result.

I am careful to only heat the transformer gently because otherwise charring (and also I suppose insulation degradation) could then be a risk.

The anti-corona lacquer I have been using, without any problems so far, is RS 569-313. A light coat only is applied.

HTH

Steve
Old 28th Dec 2006, 5:46 pm   #22
taipai_royal
Pentode

Heres an image of what I have at the moment, still some distortion but not too bad to an untrained eye.

Also look at the dreadful state of the LOPT.

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	7451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	7452  
Old 28th Dec 2006, 6:31 pm   #23
taipai_royal
Pentode

Steve, I ran the set for a good 1/2 hour and the LOPT is not really that hot,certainly not as hot as the PL38 next to it. The pitch that is still left does look very flaky and may just come away without heating. If it does fail can these be rewound very easily? Graham
Old 28th Dec 2006, 6:44 pm   #24
Panrock
Nonode

Graham, I should leave the transformer well alone and certainly don't pick the pitch off the transformer, which could cause damage. I only do this because I have to provide a commercial guarantee.

I've never had to have a TV22 LOPT rewound and the likelihood is that you won't either. . If you have questions about this, suggest you consult the rewinding experts, for example Ed Dinning, who posts on this board...

You're getting not bad results at all. Well done. Try fiddling with the frame hold to see if you can improve the interlace (remove the line pairing) though...

Steve
Old 28th Dec 2006, 6:51 pm   #25
Steve_P
Dekatron

I've watched this thread with interest too and like Panrock says, leave the LOPT alone. The ones we go through are the 1960s Bush ones....

The line pairing is easy to sort out - cap changing, again. Nice job that - let's have a photo of it together and working.

Oh and to everyone on here - don't try to dissolve the things in petrol. Gets nasty...

Cheers,

Steve P