UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2018, 10:13 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default SANYO 28" EB9A chassis - flag waving

As title. A neighbour asked me to look at this 28" flat CRT monster from circa 2003 - CE28FFV3. I have had a couple of these pass thorough my hands over the years but not seen this fault.

After about 5 mins (warm) there is slight horizontal tearing/jittering/pulling/mild flag waving at the top inch of the raster. The extreme left and right 'pull' in their respective directions, if that makes sense. As time passes the horizontal tearing becomes more pronounced across the whole top inch or so.

On a hunch after having had a similar fault this with a different set I changed the 3v3 regulator and cap but no joy here.

I am wondering if this is a slightly unstable line drive as it does not seem like a frame fault. It also does not seem typical of electrolytics as these usually respond better to warmup.This being a flat CRT there is also what looks like a correction pcb on the scan coils with a few components and presets which I have yet to investigate.

I was hoping this would be a fairly quick job as I have other things I really should get on with so really don't want to drag out the 'scope but will give the freezer spray a go in the area of Q600. Meanwhile would appreciate any tips if this rings a bell with anyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9739.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	163238   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9742.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	163239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9737.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	163240   Click image for larger version

Name:	sanyo eb9a extract.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	163241  
Old 20th May 2018, 10:49 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: SANYO 28" EB9A chassis - flag waving

Hi ben, is this really an EB9 chassis ?
My data (paper manuals) for the UK only goes as far as the EB8 chassis for crt based sets, in between that comes the digital (ITT Digi 2000 chipset based) ED0 and ED1.X sets.

I repaired many hundreds of the EB X (and EC X) chassis, however never seen an EB 9.
Old 20th May 2018, 10:55 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is definitely EB9A - printed on the pcb.
In fact, there seems to have been a production change at one point. This model I have also seen fitted with the EB5C. Both used the same line o/p tranny though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9917.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	163243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9916.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	163244  
Old 20th May 2018, 11:13 pm   #4
Red to black
Nonode

Thanks for the pics ben

It must be a European/Spanish only model then, here (UK) only went as far as the EB 8, it looks similar to the EB8 though, does it use the Philips UOC chip btw ?.

I had a quick look through the Sanyo tech bulletins I have, but nothing related to your problem at all.

Like I say the UK only seems to use up to the EB 8 chassis and then after that the Vestal LCD models were introduced.