UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2005, 3:32 pm   #1
avro
Heptode

Question FM Band and Vintage Trannies

Does anybody know if Hacker (or anyone else in the late 60s or early 70s) made any trannies that went beyond 100 Mhz on the FM band? I am posted to Germany in a couple of weeks and it looks like BFBS 2 will be on 104.3 Mhz for my camp (OK for Mayflowers I and II) but disappointing for my Hacker trannies :-(().
Old 3rd Jan 2005, 4:49 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: FM Band and Vintage Trannies

I can't remember the exact dates, but ISTR that the FM band was 'officially' extended to 104 in 1965 and 108 in 1972. It was pretty obvious which way the wind was blowing long before these dates though, and my Murphy A684 (valve) from 1960 tunes to 104. My Grunding YB210N and Party Boy from around 1971 both tune to 108. Only very early trannies will tune to 100, though unfortunately this includes some classic Hackers

The position is made worse for Hacker and Roberts fans because both these makes had a predominantly elderly customer base with little interest in FM. They carried on making relatively expensive MW/LW sets until the end of the 70s.

At least German DAB has a decent bitrate

Best regards, Paul
Old 3rd Jan 2005, 6:44 pm   #3
avro
Heptode

Default Re: FM Band and Vintage Trannies

Paul,

Thanks for that altho as a Hacker and Roberts' fan it is not too much comfort.

I will use my Gemini 5 on Band III and see what is available on Band L. I will probably get the Blaupunkt 54 Woodstock for the car (may be worth as much as the car :-() but promised her indoors and the kids a CD player for the car (might as well throw DAB in too. The German stations should not be a huge problem as I like Classical Music.
Closed Thread