UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2020, 6:56 pm   #1
Pine Marten
Tetrode

Default New tapes for Uher CR 240.

As the refurbishment of my CR 240 is nearly done it got me thinking about new blank tapes. Back in the day the perceived wisdom was Japanese tape for these decks and European types for these machines. So, Agfa or BASF? Or Maxell and Sony?
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 9:48 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: New tapes for Uher CR 240.

A lot of used tape you find online is junk. A lot of back coated stuff which was expensive back then is some of the worst. 70s -80s TDK, Scotch, Ampex and Sony are to be avoided. Recently I have had some Agfa deteriorate too, gumming up the heads with oxide.

Fortunately there is still new tape ATR and RMG I believe. Then you just need to find a brand you like, stick with it and bias your deck to it.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 10:06 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Have not brought any cassette tapes for almost as long as I can remember.

A couple of years ago gave away (Freecycle) a large number of NOS TDK cassettes, which I really regret now, with my fairly recent CR 240 purchase. In the day I used to consider TDK were really good but note Bens comment above about TDK.

For Reel to Reel I do not think you can go far wrong with Maxell, I assume this would be the same for cassette tape.

David
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:08 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Ah, I thought we were talking about reel tape. For cassettes, I would just use whatever you can get your hands on (such as TDK FE tape, which seems to be the easiest to come by) and adjust the bias to that. Chrome is no longer made.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 3:15 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

I've been searching the attic for some variable capacitors for Ed. No luck yet, but I did find a new TDK SA-90 still sealed in it's original wrapper. It even has a price sticker o it, so the date can be estimated from that.

PM me an address and I'll pop it in a jiffy bag. I may not be near the post office for several days. The car's in the garage for a new turbo (means lifting the whole body off the chassis! so it's bicycle, shank's pony or real pony meantime)

I no longer have anything that uses them.

David
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:07 pm   #6
Pine Marten
Tetrode

Thanks for the offer Radio Wrangler, will do when I get home and access to computer. I bought some reels of RMG for the A77, it is a good match. I bought six spools of Agfa PE 36, used, for the Uher Report 4400, and again this works well with both this and the A77. I did find a couple of unused TDK FE 90's and these record and play remarkably well considering they must be at least 20 years old.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 9:59 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Just spotted your location, but with current pandemic restrictions I'm not going to be seeing the family in Almondbury in the forseeable future.

So that tape'll sit there. Might be others, but no promises.

David