UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2020, 6:53 pm   #21
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: CD104 channel failure

10.6V. 9.9V on pin 2, 0.1V pin 3.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 7:05 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

So 3937 is open-circuit. 3576 is open-circuit. And you still get crazy voltages. The NE5532 is known good. There is a DC feedback path (that 1k8 resistor) from pin 1 to pin 2. Power rails are good at the chip pins.

It's rapidly becoming impossible. We're missing something very obvious
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:06 pm   #23
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks for your help, Tony - it's not just me going mad then! I've redone all the solder points around that part of the board, in case a dry joint hasn't been helping matters.

With the NE5532 unplugged, 1, 2 & 3 are all at about 0.1V and even 6 & 7 have dropped to 0.4V. Perhaps the IC is intermittently faulty, because as you say there's nothing else that could be going wrong!

I'll switch them over again to make sure we're not chasing our tails here...
Old 30th Nov 2020, 9:07 pm   #24
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Are there any of those annoying copper rivets on the board?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 1:15 am   #25
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

It did have the dreaded 'griplets', but I dealt with those some time ago.

Progress: I think the NE5532 was intermittently faulty, and I didn't have it on long enough while connected to the other channel for this to manifest. Perhaps the soldering and de-soldering pushed it over the edge, as it's now reliably reproducing the high voltages. R3576 had gone OC as well. Using the other NE5532 and an axial resistor tacked in place of R3576 results in a legible analogue signal at the L output and reasonable voltages, when connected to either DAC. Unfortunately I haven't any other NE5532s or SMD components so I'll have to wait until I can get hold of some before the possible cure can be tested...
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:05 pm   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I am not familiar with these copper rivets/griplets. Googling Griplets describes them as Miniature IDC Connectors (Amphenol), are these the same things as your griplets ?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:30 pm   #27
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

No, they're through-hole links between ground planes on either side of the board. They're labelled 'griplets' on the circuit diagram so the name's stuck. They're famous as the fault on the CD104 and other models, as they cause intermittent ground connections and result in all sorts of bizarre behaviour. The accepted best practice is to unsolder them all and re-make them with a piece of wire through each hole, which is then soldered to the planes on either side of the board.
Closed Thread