UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2020, 2:41 pm   #1
mcnortheast
Diode

Default Ferrograph Series 7 does not stop when reset

Hi guys,

I've got a ferrograph series 722H and have replaced the pinch roller and idler wheels as well as giving it a thorough clean and spray with contact cleaner.

When the unit is set to run sometimes the motors will act erratically and speed up fast. Once set to Stop (Reset) the unit's motors do not stop but keep going, when this happens the pause function will not work also and the motors keep spinning.

Is this an issue anyone is familiar with and could advise?

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:21 pm   #2
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default Re: Ferrograph Series 7 does not stop when reset

Was it working fine before you changed the pinch roller/idler wheels?

It sounds to me like the machine isn't going into play (run ?) mode correctly, and is still - sort of - in wind mode as well. Maybe a mode switch isn't engaged properly.

Does the pinch roller properly engage with the capstan, i.e. is the tape gripped? If so, what does the tape do if it's running at the wrong speed, it would be at rish of either snapping or spooling onto the floor? Or is the capstan running at the wrong speed too?

Geoff
Closed Thread