UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2020, 11:01 am   #1
platescreen
Triode

Default RCA 16X2 Radio

Hello, I know that this radio is not domestic to the UK, but I'm getting quite desperate and thus I'm hoping someone here has an RCA 16X(1, 2 or 3). You see, this radio marks the first time ever I cannot figure out how to get the chassis out!

Many thanks!
Old 27th Nov 2020, 11:09 am   #2
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: RCA 16X2 Radio

The Radiomuseum has quite a few pictures of this radio, they may help you?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_16x2_1.html
Old 27th Nov 2020, 11:17 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Do the knobs just pull off or are there holes underneath the cabinet for grubscrew access?

Looks like the chassis is retained by screws at the back accessible when rear cover is removed.

The set looks a bit like a souped up DAC90!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Nov 2020, 6:27 pm   #4
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Do the knobs just pull off or are there holes underneath the cabinet for grubscrew access?

Looks like the chassis is retained by screws at the back accessible when rear cover is removed.

RCA built that set for several years! Different versions.
Knobs just pull off and chassis mounting screws are visible after the back is removed.
I have the last model produced, 1948.
Dave, USradcoll1,
Old 28th Nov 2020, 5:49 am   #5
platescreen
Triode

Hi, thank you. What happened was, I had given up, after seeing and removing the two screw bolts that secure the chassis. But later, before I went to bed, I just happened to tip the radio to have a look around, and yes the chassis slid right out. It was just kinda lodged in there.

Quote:

Howdy and thanks. Yeah, the absence of the usual screws on the bottom threw me! I did remove the front knobs and two screw bolts on the rear of chassis, but the radio was logged in. It later did fall out (luckily onto the bench) as I was handling the radio.

Hmmm, DAC90. I'll have to Google! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardyman View Post
The Radiomuseum has quite a few pictures of this radio, they may help you?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_16x2_1.html
Yes, hi, thank you. Yes, I saw that and was able to download lots of info.

Funny how things happened... I had removed the knobs and two chassis bolts but the chassis wouldn't come out. Later, I was just handling the radio and out dropped the chassis! Luckily it only dropped as far as my bench top.

Thank you again.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 9:04 am   #6
platescreen
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Quote:

RCA built that set for several years! Different versions.
Knobs just pull off and chassis mounting screws are visible after the back is removed.
I have the last model produced, 1948.
Dave, USradcoll1,
Hello and thank you. How does one determine the year?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:20 pm   #7
usradcoll1
Heptode

The schematic is located at Nostalgia Air, a US website!
The website contains scan of all the Riders manuals. It's easy to access. Your radio is located in Riders Vol 12, which is around 1940.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:25 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Have you web site for Nostalgia Air, I get server not found on the links the search engine returns?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:30 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resource...=\M0014790.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 5:50 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Lawrence, Thank you.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 5:52 am   #11
platescreen
Triode

Hi, yes, I have all that. But the radio was made through 1948, and usradcoll1 says he has one of the last ones. So, I was wondering how he can determine if one is an early or late model. I could not find RCA serial number records.

One thing that frustrates me is, the schematic designates numbers for capacitors (C7, etc). However, the parts list does not.

Thank you.
Old 4th Dec 2020, 6:44 pm   #12
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by platescreen View Post
Hi, yes, I have all that. But the radio was made through 1948, and usradcoll1 says he has one of the last ones. So, I was wondering how he can determine if one is an early or late model. I could not find RCA serial number records.

One thing that frustrates me is, the schematic designates numbers for capacitors (C7, etc). However, the parts list does not.

Thank you.
The Riders coverage has the schematic, but the parts list is wrong. The Riders coverage is usually rather good.
You'll have to go through the entire radio and the schematic for the parts values.
The only one I have in that series is a" Radiola" branded set, which is a cheaper line, sold at smaller dealers. The circuitry is slightly different using a separate oscillator and mixer tube (valve) instead of a RF amp. It doesn't have a tone control or phono jack.
Regarding the age, most post-war sets used the RMA system of code-dates on the parts.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 5th Dec 2020, 7:44 am   #13
platescreen
Triode

Ah, OK, that explains that. I'm not familiar with RMA. Where would I find product code on the radio, and if I sent product code to you, could you determine the year of mine?

Also, I discovered a very vexing thing. I'm thinking someone prior miswired things. On my radio, 12SQ7 is where 12SK7 R.F. should be. In the schematic, please see 12SQ7's .0018 capacitor, the only one in the radio. In the schematic, it connects from 12SQ7 plate to the tone control. In my radio, however, this .0018 cap is connected from 12SK7 R.F. second grid to the tone control Again, on my radio the 12SK7 is plugged in where the schematic says the 12SQ7 should be.

It took me 20 minutes to write that explanation I hope it makes sense Thank you
Old 6th Dec 2020, 6:22 pm   #14
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Ah, OK, that explains that. I'm not familiar with RMA. Where would I find product code on the radio, and if I sent product code to you, could you determine the year of mine?

Also, I discovered a very vexing thing. I'm thinking someone prior miswired things. On my radio, 12SQ7 is where 12SK7 R.F. should be. In the schematic, please see 12SQ7's .0018 capacitor, the only one in the radio. In the schematic, it connects from 12SQ7 plate to the tone control. In my radio, however, this .0018 cap is connected from 12SK7 R.F. second grid to the tone control Again, on my radio the 12SK7 is plugged in where the schematic says the 12SQ7 should be.

Did you check that the tubes (valves) were installed in the proper socket?
The 12SQ7 goes in the socket it the right corner, facing the rear and next to the 35L6, per the location diagram.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 6th Dec 2020, 8:38 pm   #15
platescreen
Triode

Yes, this is what's vexing about it to me. The tubes are in the correct sockets. Perhaps another way to explain this.The first 12SK7 is wired according to how the 12SQ7 is in the schematic; that is, with the .0018 capacitor connecting 12SK7 to the tone control. In the schematic, notice that the .0018 cap connects 12SQ7 to the tone control.

I've managed to get the radio to power on but am getting only a quiet hum, unaffected by volume control.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 3:33 am   #16
platescreen
Triode

Quote:
Quote:

Did you check that the tubes (valves) were installed in the proper socket?
The 12SQ7 goes in the socket it the right corner, facing the rear and next to the 35L6, per the location diagram.
Dave, USradcoll1
Yes, this is what's vexing about it to me. The tubes are in the correct sockets. Perhaps another way to explain this. The first 12SK7 is wired according to how the 12SQ7 is in the schematic; that is, with the .0018 capacitor connecting 12SK7 to the tone control. In the schematic, notice that the .0018 cap connects 12SQ7 to the tone control.

I've managed to get the radio to power on but am getting only a quiet hum, unaffected by volume control. Brand new power supply caps too...all recapped and re-resistored.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 5:09 pm   #17
usradcoll1
Heptode

You should get a loud hum with the volume control fully CW and your finger on the center terminal of the volume control. This proves that the audio stage is working.
Do you have a meter? Check all voltages against the schematic. The black meter lead goes the B- point for accurate readings.
Dave, USradcoll1. Over 65 years of this nonsense?
Old 9th Dec 2020, 12:17 am   #18
platescreen
Triode

Quote:
You should get a loud hum with the volume control fully CW and your finger on the center terminal of the volume control. This proves that the audio stage is working.
Do you have a meter? Check all voltages against the schematic. The black meter lead goes the B- point for accurate readings.
Dave, USradcoll1. Over 65 years of this nonsense?
Ah, yes, it had been a while since my last repair. Forgot that little trick! No buzz at all when touching any of the volume control lugs. Audio stage is dead. I did check voltages. They are all way off, way low.

I'm wondering, perhaps a weak 12SQ7.

Also, as I've pointed out, the schematic is proving to be of little use. 1st 12SK7 is wired like the 12SQ7 is supposed to according to schematic. My radio also has a 12J6 in place of the 12SA7! Oh, yes, and when I plug in a 12SA7, I noticed the pilot light glowing much brighter.

OK, well, I do have another of these radio coming any day now from eBay. Hopefully that radio will be my schematic.

Last edited by platescreen; 9th Dec 2020 at 12:30 am.
Closed Thread